+

T20 World Cup: "He was just joking around…"Axar On Key Partnership With Pant in Thriller India Vs Pakistan

Following India’s six-run triumph over Pakistan in their T20 World Cup clash, all-rounder Axar Patel, wicketkeeper-batter Rishabh Pant, and pacer Mohammed Siraj shared insights into their strategies that contributed to the win. Jasprit Bumrah’s brilliant three-wicket haul and a counter-attacking knock by Pant propelled India to a narrow victory at the packed Nassau County Stadium. […]

Following India’s six-run triumph over Pakistan in their T20 World Cup clash, all-rounder Axar Patel, wicketkeeper-batter Rishabh Pant, and pacer Mohammed Siraj shared insights into their strategies that contributed to the win. Jasprit Bumrah’s brilliant three-wicket haul and a counter-attacking knock by Pant propelled India to a narrow victory at the packed Nassau County Stadium.

In a video posted by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), spinner Yuzvendra Chahal featured the trio on his ‘Chahal TV’ show. Chahal asked Axar about his promotion to number four in the batting order. Axar explained that his captain, Rishabh Pant, made the situation easier by keeping things light-hearted.

“There was no chance of planning when I came to know that I was going to go at four. When I went for the batting, it was easy for me. Our captain (Pant, DC captain) was not telling me anything about cricket. He was just joking around. He knew that I would become a little easy. He kept telling me something on every ball. I also talked to him and it became a little easy. It was the same planning and nothing else,” said Axar.

On bowling to Pakistan all-rounder Imad Wasim, Axar mentioned his strategy to avoid being hit for a six in the mid-wicket region by not giving Wasim any balls in his range. “So I talked to the captain, Rohit bhai, that I would ball in the cut so give me two points. And keep the back sweeper a little inside the cut. If he hits the four on the cut or the cover, then it is okay. Because that is a very difficult shot. If the execution was good, then the over was also good. And then the difference in the run also increased,” he added.

Pant shared his approach while batting in a high-pressure situation, emphasizing a positive mindset. “India-Pakistan is always a match of pressure. When Bapu (Axar) came in, the entire IPL, he practiced the same thing, batting at number three or four. When your mate is with you, you become comfortable. We were talking to each other and we were getting comfortable with each other. We did not think much about the situation,” he said. When asked which of the three catches he took was his favorite, Pant replied, “All the catches were my favorites.”

Siraj, who contributed valuable seven runs at the end, explained his focus on simplicity while bowling. “All the runs made by the tailenders are very crucial at the end of the day. You found out at the end how important the seven runs were to me. So I am very happy with those seven runs and I won the match. It was very good,” he said. “My only plan was to get a low score. I do not try too much. I keep a simple plan and execute it wherever I can. If the batsman takes a good shot from there, then it is a good shot. So, my only plan was to put it in one place,” he added.

In the match, Pakistan won the toss and elected to field. Despite struggling on a difficult surface, Rishabh Pant’s 42 off 31 balls helped India reach 119 in 19 overs. Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah were the top bowlers for Pakistan, each taking three wickets.

During the run-chase, Pakistan adopted a measured approach with Mohammed Rizwan scoring 31 off 44 balls. However, Bumrah’s exceptional bowling and crucial wickets from Hardik Pandya kept the pressure on Pakistan. With 18 runs needed in the final over, Naseem Shah’s efforts fell short as Arshdeep Singh ensured Pakistan lost by six runs.

Bumrah was awarded ‘Player of the Match’ for his decisive spell. After this thrilling win, India tops Group A with two wins from two games, while Pakistan, having lost both their matches to the USA and India, faces slim chances of advancing to the knockout stage.

Tags:

2024 ICC Men’s T20 World CupIndia vs Pakistan T20 World Cup 2024 MatchTDGThe Daily Guardian