Do you know that osteoporosis is a serious disease that weakens the bones. Due to which the risk of unexpected fracture increases. This disease is called ‘silent disease’ because it progresses without any pain or symptoms.
According to an estimate of experts, every 3 seconds a person in the world becomes a victim of osteoporotic fracture. Women over the age of 45, in particular, have longer hospital stays due to fractures caused by osteoporosis compared to many other conditions, including diabetes and heart attacks.
Osteoporosis is a bone disease which is caused by estrogen hormone. It is also called Britton born disease. This is also one of the diseases more prevalent in India than in other countries. Due to this disease the bones of the body become weak. This is a disease that occurs in old age due to which the bones in the body become weak, start hurting and there is a fear of getting fractured soon. This is also called senile osteo process.
Especially in osteoporosis, fractures of wrist bone, spine and ankle bone are considered common. In other words, small parts present in the bones start bursting. This disease also occurs in men but is more common in women. Most elderly women have a higher risk of osteoporosis. Many times this disease goes away quickly but its effects are visible late.
Why are women more at risk?
This bone disease occurs in women after menopause i.e. cessation of menstruation. In women, estrogen hormone contributes to keeping bones strong. This is a hormone that is produced by the ovaries and is helpful in preventing weakening of bones. By the age of 27, the bones are fully developed and at this age the bones are the strongest. But after menopause, the level of estrogen decreases and the risk of this disease increases and the bones start becoming weak. In this situation, estrogen is replaced with the help of hormonal therapy.
Recognize the symptoms
If information about osteoporosis is received at the right time, it can be avoided. There is mild pain in the beginning which people usually ignore. This pain starts from the bones and muscles of the waist and neck. This pain can last for weeks or months. The weakness of the bones is such that even a minor injury results in fracture. In case of menopause, one starts feeling pain in the bones and muscles, this pain is sharp. In such a situation, it is important to immediately consult a doctor.
7 ways to prevent
1. If things containing calcium and vitamin D are included in your regular diet, bones will become strong.
2. Consumption of milk, cheese, green vegetables, curd etc. is important. And if you are a non-vegetarian then you can also consume fish.
3. Vitamin D is needed to absorb calcium in the body. Therefore, make it a daily rule to sit in the sun for twenty minutes.
4. It is very important to keep your weight balanced; neither be too overweight that your bones cannot support your weight, nor be so underweight that due to malnutrition, this disease may further weaken your bones. Nutritious food, essential nutrients and adequate calories are important for healthy muscles and bones.
5. Osteoporosis occurs quickly in those people who take steroids or blood thinning medicines. This should be avoided and do not consume it without doctor’s advice.
6. Consumption of alcohol and smoking can cause harm. People who smoke regularly have reduced estrogen levels, which is harmful.
7. After menopause, exercise becomes essential for maintaining both muscle strength and bone mass. In such a situation, along with maintaining bone strength, regular exercise is important because it plays an important role in improving muscle function, building strength and balance. This disease can be kept away through walking, jogging, dancing. It will be beneficial if you do weight lifting exercise two or four times a week.
The author is a senior Orthopaedic Specialist.