A slew of protests erupted in Iran on Tuesday where three people have been killed during the unrest over the death of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman, following her detention by the country’s morality police, a media report said.
Al Jazeera reported that an Iranian Governor, Esmail Zarei Kousha confirmed the news and said that three people died “suspiciously” during “illegal protests” in recent days. “Investigations have shown that these people were shot and killed by those working against the establishment and with firearms that are not employed by any tiers of security or law enforcement forces in the province,” Governor Kousha of the northwestern Kurdistan province said.
According to the governor, one person died in Divandareh, another was left in a car near a hospital in Saqqez, and a third “suspicious” death is being investigated.
He further said that families must be careful as “anti-revolutionary” groups wish to use Mahsa Amini’s name as a weapon to advance their own purpose.
As per Al Jazeera, Mahsa Amini, 22, was visiting Tehran with her family when the specialist police unit detained her. After a while, she suffered a heart attack and was immediately taken to hospital with the cooperation of the emergency services.
“Unfortunately, she died and her body was transferred to the medical examiner’s office,” state television said on Friday, reported Al Jazeera. The announcement came a day after Tehran police confirmed Amini had been detained with other women for “instruction” about the rules.
Since Amini’s death, several protests have erupted in the country. They began in her hometown of Saqqez, where she was buried, and spread to several cities in Kurdistan. Women were seen burning hijabs and chopping their hair to mark the protest over the death of Amini.
Iran President Ebrahim Raisi, who called Amini’s father earlier this week to promise an investigation is being carried out, left Tehran for New York on Monday to participate in the United Nations General Assembly.
The UN on Tuesday demanded an independent investigation into Amini’s death, reported Al Jazeera.
Amini’s death comes amid growing controversy inside and outside Iran over the conduct of the morality police, known formally as the Gasht-e Ershad (Guidance Patrol). The mandatory dress code, which applies to all nationalities and religions, not just Iranian Muslims, requires women to conceal their hair and neck with a headscarf, reported Al Jazeera.
Over the decades, women have increasingly pushed back, particularly in the big cities, wearing their headscarves far back on their heads to reveal their hair.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Japan on high alert ahead of former PM Abe’s state funeral
Japan has imposed tight security measures in the capital city Tokyo as it prepares to host foreign dignitaries for the state funeral of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, which will be attended by several foreign dignitaries.
The state-funded event on Tuesday has encountered growing criticism as it is expected to cost more than USD 11 million, with a large portion attributed to security costs, Japan’s Kyodo news reported.
Top-level security measures will be deployed, equivalent to those adopted during the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, with the police presence exceeding 18,000 personnel.
According to Kyodo, Police are taking extra precautions to ensure there is no gap in security given that Abe was shot down despite the presence of police while he was giving a public address.
The state funeral of Shinzo Abe, who was assassinated on July 8 in the city of Nara during a campaign speech, will take place on September 27. Thousands of people are expected to attend the funeral.
Representatives from hundreds of countries and international organizations are expected to participate in the state funeral on Tuesday at the Nippon Budokan in central Tokyo, Japan Times reported.
Abe’s funeral will be the second state funeral for a former prime minister since World War 2. The first one was held in 1967 for Shigeru Yoshida.
Other deceased prime ministers received a joint Cabinet Office and Liberal Democratic Party service.
The state funeral ceremony will be the first major public event since new police security guidelines were implemented, including sniffer dogs at train stations and police patrols at Tokyo-area airports after Abe’s assassination.
Several foreign dignitaries are expected to attend the funeral service in Tokyo. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will also attend Abe’s funeral. He will also separately meet Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida.
The funeral service will likely last for approximately one-and-a-half hours following which the national anthem of the country will be played, according to Japan Times.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida will deliver a commemorative speech followed by addresses from other high-level delegates.
Japan’s royal family will also pay tributes to Abe at his state funeral, however, maintaining the line of Japanese tradition, Emperor Naruhito will not be attending the funeral, and their imperial envoys will pay their respects.
The funeral ceremony will finish with sending off Abe’s remains and placing remembrance wreaths. Abe was shot on 8 July in the Japanese city of Nara.
China-Nepal rail plan has little support in landlocked nation
China’s ambitious project in Nepal related to building a railway line in the landlocked nation has few supporters.
Although China plans to start a feasibility study for the 170 km Trans-Himalayan Tibet-Nepal railway, environmental and technical questions remain. Such concerns have been raised by Nepali experts, reported Eye of Nepal.
Moreover, the dispute over the blocked Nepal-China railway line has not yet been resolved. President Xi Jinping said in 2019 that the proposed line would transform Nepal.
But three years have passed and still the project has not received much support from the Nepalese leadership, engineers or environmentalists, reported Eye of Nepal.
Towards the end of 2018, China conducted a pre-feasibility study of a railway for Nepal, which clearly stated that it was a very difficult project due to the terrain gradient.
Th study estimates an investment of USD 2.75 billion for the 72.5 km section but unfortunately, the report of the study has not been made public yet, reported Eye of Nepal.
As a result, doubts have arisen in Nepal about the feasibility of the proposed railway. Aman Chitrakar of Nepal Railway said that this project will be as difficult as the third pole.
He said that the world’s most challenging railway engineering project is the 4,500-meter Tibetan Plateau route that reaches Kathmandu through the Himalayas. Technical experts have expressed serious concern about Nepal’s lack of capacity, reported Eye of Nepal.
While reviewing the technical reports, it was found that there is no technically qualified railway in Nepal and there is a lack of engineers who can evaluate the pros and cons of the proposed railway line.
Tibetan lives are in danger due to China’s poorly handled zero-COVID policy
The draconian measures adopted by China to enforce its zero-covid policy in the wake of rising covd-19 cases in Tibet has endangered the lives of Tibetans.
“The zero-covid policy is causing more harm than good. The mismanagement of the pandemic outbreak in Tibet only exposes Beijing’s failed covid-policy implementation,” read the Central Tibetan Administration press release.
In an attempt to present itself as a role model in curbing the outbreak, China is downright disregarding the safety and security of Tibetans in need of medical assistance and covid care evidenced by the dire lockdown conditions being reported and exposed online by a number of affected Tibetans.
Tibetans complained about crowded quarantine facilities, food scarcity, lack of medical supplies and unhygienic living conditions, added the release.
Some Tibetans said that the condition is worse than a prisoner and another Tibetan was beaten up for protesting against the dire living situation under the covid lockdown. Tibetans in the covid regions are being forcibly dragged to be put into isolation centres and their families have to live with the uncertainty of their return and updates in general.
The entire world suffered when the pandemic hit but the situation in Tibet could not have gotten worse since it was already in a saddening state. Tibetans in Tibet are stuck in another helpless state where the government is only focusing on carrying out their policy to seem like a capable nation.
China publicly reported the first Covid outbreak in Tibet on August 8 this year, with 22 cases of covid-positive in Lhasa and Ngari. This has been the first official admission of Covid in Tibet after the repeated public announcements of the zero-Covid policy in the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) since early 2020, read the CTA release.
Within weeks, at least 3627 people had reportedly tested positive indicating a rapid increase.
Cubans vote in landmark referendum on same-sex marriage, adoption
Cubans voted in a landmark referendumon Sunday on whether to legalize same-sex marriage and adoption, allow surrogate pregnancies and give greater rights to non-biological parents.
Almost 6 million Cubans (around 69% of eligible voters) voted in the referendum, according to electoral officials.
Over 8 million Cubans over the age of 16 were eligible to vote “yes” or “no” for the proposal, which is supported by the communist government but criticized by Catholic and evangelical church leaders, reported DW News.
More than 79,000 neighbourhood meetings were held earlier this year to debate the proposal, which is backed by the communist government. Church leaders have expressed opposition to the idea.
The final week of campaigning saw the government flood TV, radio and social media with pro-equality messages, along with glitzy billboards, public rallies and tweets from President Miguel Diaz-Canel urging Cubans to vote yes “in favour of democracy,” reported DW News.
The official attitude toward homosexuality has changed significantly over the past 20 years after decades of persecution.
In 2019, the government sought to include same-sex marriage in the country’s new constitution but backed down after criticism from the Church. The Conference of Bishops has once again come out against the current proposal.
Political scientist Rafael Hernandez said the referendum on same-sex marriage is the “most important human rights legislation” in Cuba since the 1959 revolution, reported DW News.
However, the current economic unease may overshadow Cuba’s historic vote. Cuba is facing its worst economic crisis in 30 years due to a collapse in international tourism and ongoing US sanctions. The economic parameters of the country has been on a downward spiral for quite sometime now.
Seven dead after massive fire at South Korean shopping mall
At least seven people were killed in a fire that erupted in a shopping mall’s basement on Monday in Daejeon, South Korea, according to officials.
Go Seung-cheol, a representative of the Daejeon Fire Headquarters, stated that after putting out the fire, firefighters were still looking for survivors. He claimed that some areas of the structure were still filled with smoke and that it wasn’t immediately evident if there were any other persons missing.
More than 110 people were evacuated, including mall employees and guests at a nearby hotel, after the fire broke out at around 7:45 a.m. and quickly spread across the loading dock area of the basement. The damage might have been worse, according to officials, if the fire had erupted during the mall’s regular business hours.
More than 500 firefighters and 90 vehicles were deployed to fight the fire, which was extinguished at around 3 p.m., Go said.
Photos taken at the scene showed a cloud of dark-gray smoke rising from beneath the structure while firefighters extinguished the fire with water hoses and other tools.
Lee Seung-han, a fire official at the Yuseong fire department, said six of the people found dead were mall employees and that officials were still trying to identify the other victim. Lee and Go had no immediate comment about the cause of death.
The cause of the fire was being looked into by police and fire personnel. According to eyewitness accounts cited by the local media, the fire may have been caused by the explosion of an electric vehicle that was charging in the basement.
After shooting at Russian school, six people, gunman dead
A shooter killed six people and injured 20 others in a school in the central Russian city of Izhevsk on Monday morning.
According to the Udmurtia branch of the interior ministry, the shooter killed himself. According to the Russian official, the school has been closed and the surrounding area has been fenced off.
Alexander Brechalov, the governor of the Udmurtia region, of which Izhevsk is the capital, stated in a video message that the as-yet unidentified shooter entered the school and killed a guard and some of the students present. Children among the victims and wounded, according to Brechalov.
(More details are awaited.)
Opinion2 years ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking2 years ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Royally Speaking2 years ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219