The Maharashtra task force for Covid-19 on Thursday warned that there may be a third wave in the state in the next two to four weeks. It, however, said that children would not be affected as much as those in lower middle-class clusters that haven’t been exposed to the virus so far.
The task force’s warning came on the day a seroprevalence study conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) revealed that the possible third wave is unlikely to disproportionately affect children than adults.
The task force predictions were made in a meeting chaired by Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, a report in a leading national newspaper said, with data pointing to the fact that the total number of cases in the third wave could be double than those in the second wave, with active cases reaching up to eight lakhs. While 19 lakh cases were registered in the first wave in 2020, the second wave saw 40 lakh cases in 2021.
State health department officials highlighted that the number of patients during the second wave was much higher due to the Delta variant. In that case, the possible third wave could see a higher volume of patients due to the Delta plus variant. It is also expected that 10% of the Covid cases could come from children or young adults, a phenomenon also seen in the first two waves.
Stressing on the need to practice Covid-appropriate behaviour, Dr Shashank Joshi, member of the task force, said that Maharashtra could face the same situation as UK where a third wave hit within four weeks of ebbing of the second wave.
The meeting was held to take stock of the preparations to tackle a possible third wave. The health department looked at all the possible scenarios in case a fresh wave hits the state.
CM Thackeray also said that vaccination must be increased. He said that the country would receive 42 crore doses of Covid-19 vaccine by August-September and Maharashtra too could benefit from it. He also highlighted the importance of social distancing and RT-PCR tests. He said that PPE kits and other materials must be procured too.
Meanwhile, a seroprevalence study conducted by WHO and AIIMS revealed that the expected third wave is unlikely to disproportionately affect children than adults. The SARS-CoV-2 sero-positivity rate among children was high and was comparable to the adult population in the survey, which was conducted in five selected states with a total sample size of 10,000.
“SARS-CoV-2 sero-positivity rate among children was high and was comparable to the adult population. Hence, it is unlikely that any future third wave by prevailing Covid-19 variant would disproportionately affect children two years or older,” the survey stated.
The results were taken during midterm analysis, which were based on the data of 4,500 participants from four states. More results are awaited in the coming months.
It was found that in resettlement colonies in South Delhi’s urban areas which have a very congested population had a very high (highest reported yet in any sero-assessment) seroprevalence of 74.7 per cent, Dr Puneet Misra, Professor of Community Medicine at AIIMS, New Delhi, who led the survey said.
Even before the second wave, children below the age of 18 in South Delhi had as much seroprevalence (73.9 per cent) as the below 18 years (74.8 per cent). “These areas in Delhi and NCR (Faridabad) may have higher seroprevalence after the intense second wave. Probably, these levels of seroprevalence may be protective against any ‘Third wave’,” Dr Misra said.
“In congested urban areas of Delhi, since children already have high seroprevalence, opening schools may after all not be a very risky proposition. During the second wave, the NCR region of Faridabad (rural area) has a seroprevalence of 59.3 per cent (almost equal in both age groups), which could be considered high compared to previous national surveys,” the survey said.
Gorakhpur Rural has a very high seroprevalence of 87.9 per cent (2-18 years) with 80.6 per cent and above 18 years with 90.3 per cent. These levels are likely to ward off the “third wave”. The survey says Gorakhpur is mostly affected in rural areas that means more chances of herd immunity. The accelerated peaks and precipitous decline in Covid-19 cases in both Delhi and Uttar Pradesh could be explained partially by these findings.
WITH ANI INPUTS
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Harmanpreet’s emotional breakdown on Jhulan Goswami’s farewell game.
The Indian Women’s Cricket team stepped into the iconic Lord’s stadium for the ODI match against England. While the team aimed to create history by clean sweeping England on their pitch, this match holds its importance beyond this.
The match was special as the Indian pace baller, Jhulan Goswami will bid adieu to the sports after this match. Ahead of the third and final match, Indian captain, Harmanpreet Kaur was seen crying and then Jhulan hugged her.
Jhulan’s cricket career has been spectacular where she played 12 tests, 2014 ODIs and 68 T20s for India. She has the record for the most number of wickets, 353 wickets, in her international career. This is the most by any player in women’s cricket.
“I’d like to thank the BCCI, my friends, my family, my coaches, teammates, and captains,” said the bowling legend to Sky Cricket before the start of the match. “Everyone, thanks for this opportunity, this is a very special moment.”
“When I started my career in 2002, I played my first series against England, and I’m ending against England in my last series. And the most important thing is that we’re 2-0 up in the series which is the most important thing for me at this moment.’
“Every moment [of 20-year career] has had a lot of emotions, a lot of effort put in. But the 2017 World Cup where our team came back and fought [is the highlight]. Nobody gave us a chance initially that we would be playing in a final, but the way we played that tournament was something different I think, and from there women’s cricket in India slowly and gradually picked up.
“And at this moment, we have our path to motivate generations and young girls to take up sport and that they have an option with cricket. I have to [keep emotions in check], I can’t come with all those emotions onto the cricket field, As a ruthless character, I have to come out and play hard cricket and give my best,” she added.
It was an emotional moment for the nation and the teammates. Captain Harmanpreet broke into tears during the farewell match of Jhulan Goswami.
Following his ‘friend and greatest rival’, Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup 2022.
Today was the final match of Roger Federer’s career and the Swiss tennis legend withdrew his name from the Laver Cup 2022 tournament. Moments later his friend and greatest rival Rafael Nadal followed him and withdrew from the event.
Nadal arrived in London, a day before his match alongside Federer. He straight up went to meet his teammates before going for the gala dinner. He could barely practice due to a shortage of time. The pair lost the final match of Federer’s glorious career to the Team World combination of Jack Sock and Frances Tiafoe.
Moments after the match, Nadal withdrew from the singles tie. He is replaced by Cameron Norrie in the lineup against Team World’s highest-ranked player Taylor Fritz.
The Laver Cup confirmed on Saturday morning: “Matteo Berrettini will be stepping in for Roger Federer: ‘I cannot wait to start.’ Additionally, Rafael Nadal withdrew for personal reasons. He will be replaced by Cameron Norrie.”
“I am not doing well. It’s been a tough time for me, I hardly slept, I was stressed. Luckily everything is okay and I was able to get here,” said Nadal in the post-match presser explaining the reason behind his withdrawal.
Police to arrest ex-students of Bhopal college over girl’s obscene video
Police in Bhopal have arrested two former students of an Industrial Training Institute (ITI) for shooting an obscene video of a female college student and blackmailing her.
Rahul Yadav and Khusboo Thakur were arrested by police under Section 383 (extortion) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and pertinent provisions of the IT Act, while Ayan, another suspect, has ran away.
“A 19-year-old girl went missing from her house on Friday.The parents filed a police complaint and the police traced her at Bhopal railway station after a few hours. When police registered the girl’s statement, she informed that on September 17, there was a cultural programme in the college on the occasion of Vishwakarma Jayanti. She was changing her clothes in a washroom where Khushboo shot her obscene video,” said additional deputy commissioner of police (ADCP), Rajesh Bhadoriya.
“The girl said three students showed the video to her boy friend and demanded ₹10,000 and also threatened to circulate it on social media. The girl’s parents worked in the ITI and she was afraid of public insult of her parents so she decided to run away,” said ADCP.
At the police station in Ashoka Garden, the cops filed a first information report (FIR).
Police are looking into the matter to determine whether she is the only girl experiencing this trauma or if it also happened to other girls, according to the police officer.
The three former students used to spend much of their time at the institution and harass students, according to the college students who reported them to the police.
Ankita Murder Case: Outraged crowd vandalized BJP MLA’s car
After the dead body of a 19-year-old missing teen girl was found in a canal in Rishikesh, there has been outrage among the locals.
It intensified on Saturday and the locals vandalized the car of BJP MLA Renu Bisht. Later, police had to escort the MLA safely.
The body was identified by the teen’s relative, who was reported missing for the past 6 days.
Three people were arrested by Uttrakhand Police on Friday including Pulkit Arya the son of Vinod Arya, a former BJP minister in the state. The girl was employed as the receptionist in a resort in the city, which is allegedly owned by the MLA.
Earlier in the day, the resort owned by the accused was also set on fire by the locals. Uttarakhand chief minister Pushkar Singh Dhami expressed pain over the death of the woman and announced the setting up of an SIT, led by DIG police P Renuka Devi, to conduct a speedy probe into the killing.
As an effect of the protests, BJP expelled the father, BJP leader Vinod Arya and brother of the accused from the party earlier on Saturday.
“During the investigation, police learnt the accused and the woman had gone to Rishikesh on Sunday. While on their way back, Pulkit and the woman entered into an argument following which the accused threw her into a canal in Chilla,” the SSP said.
Lalu Yadav criticises Amit Shah for attacking Bihar govt
A day before he meets Congress leader Sonia Gandhi and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, RJD President Lalu Prasad Yadav on Saturday criticised Home Minister Amit Shah for his attack on the Bihar government coalition and emphasised the need for Opposition unity.
“Amit Shah has utterly lost his mind. His administration has been overthrown in Bihar. The BJP will also lost in 2024. That is why he is sprinting there (Bihar) and speaking of jungle raaj. What did he do when he was in Gujarat,” Yadav said.
The former chief minister of Bihar said that “Jungle raaj” was present in Gujarat when he was there.
On Sunday evening, Kumar and Yadav will probably meet Sonia Gandhi, the president of the Congress.
We are making every effort for Opposition unity,” Yadav, who has been battling poor health, said, adding this will the agenda of their meeting.
The Bihar chief minister was slammed by Shah on Friday for allegedly betraying the BJP and attempting to advance his prime ministerial ambitions while “sitting in the laps of Congress and RJD.”
At a rally in Purnea, Shah predicted that the Kumar-Lalu Prasad jodi would be destroyed (soopda saaf) in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections and that the BJP will win a majority by itself in the state assembly elections the following year.
In response, Yadav said, “Amit Shah bilkul paglaye hue hain” ( Amit Shah is absolutely insane).
Falguni Pathak remarks ‘Wish I could take action’ over Neha Kakkar’s ‘Maine Payal Hai’ remake
The renowned singer Falguni Pathak is not happy with Neha Kakkar’s recreation of her iconic song ‘Maine Payal Hai Chhankai’. She said in a recent interview that neither the producers nor Neha made an effort to get in touch with her prior to or following the release of the new song, ‘O Sajna’. The veteran singer also said that she wished to take action against the Neha Kakkar song but was unable to do so since she did not have the song rights.
Neha has come under fire from several fans for ‘ruining’ the original. The original singer of the 1990s hit song, Falguni, reshared fan posts on Instagram Story, subtly criticising Neha’s rendition of the song titled “O Sajna.”
“How long you can go Neha Kakkar? Stop ruining our old classics for us. Falguni Pathak is the OG. Stop with it already,” one of the posts on Falguni’s Instagram Story read.
The actors Vivan Bhatena and Nikhila Palat were featured in the original song, which was launched in 1999. At a college festival, the song was performed as a puppet show. The song was a resounding hit. Recently, the updated version was unveiled.
The music video for “O Sajna” features Dhanashree Verma and Priyank Sharma. “O Sajna” was written by Tanishk Bagchi, who is renowned for reinventing classic Hindi melodies.
Opinion2 years ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking2 years ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Royally Speaking2 years ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219