While chess is known as the “game of kings,” an argument more suited to a school playground has been consuming the sport over the last month. World champion Magnus Carlsen recently resigned from a game after making just one move, but how did it get to this point?
The scandal started when Carlsen met American youngster Hans Niemann in the third round of the Sinquefield Cup. Chess has been studied for centuries, and all of the best openings are pretty much memorized, so Carlsen prefers to play opponents with obscure openings. Thus, after a standard Nimzo-Indian opening, he played 4. g3, a move that is pretty much unheard of. But Niemann knew exactly what to play, and this left Carlsen in trouble: the move is obscure for a reason, as it is unsound, and Niemann took a shock victory to end Carlsen’s 53-game unbeaten streak with the White pieces in classical chess over the board against an opponent with a lower rating than him.
Niemann revealed that he had prepared for the opening the night before, “by some miracle”. This raised eyebrows, but what really set the circus in motion was Carlsen’s decision to withdraw from the tournament: considered bad sportsmanship without a very good reason. “If I speak, I get in trouble,” was the image attached to the statement, leading to suspicions that something was amiss. While Carlsen has a reputation as a “sore loser”, he has never gone this far. Niemann angrily responded that the only time he had ever cheated in chess was in unrated online games when he was a child, but the chess website Chess.com said that there was evidence of more cheating than he had admitted to and banned him from the website. Either way, cheating over the board is much harder than in real life, and the organisers said there was no evidence of cheating, but they enhanced checks anyway. Raising suspicions further was the fact that Niemann won two of his first three games, but didn’t win another in the whole tournament after the incident.
The scandal has grown bigger than chess, with the mainstream media excitedly thinking up wacky contraptions and far-fetched theories of ways Niemann could have cheated with a radio device. A more plausible theory is that Carlsen’s preparation could have been leaked, but there is no evidence and Carlsen has made only an indirect accusation. While Niemann may be suspicious, some have criticised the World Champion for sullying the American’s reputation without direct proof, while others have sympathised with him. The two next met in an eagerly-anticipated clash, this time online, at the Julius Baer Generation Cup. But the Norwegian made one move and then resigned and turned off his camera, refusing to give any press conferences. Carlsen seems unperturbed, coming out on top of the preliminary round standings, while Niemann has also advanced to the next stage, meaning the two could meet again in the very near future.
The author is a student studying at the London School of Economics.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Won’t let Nawaz Sharif decide selection of Pak army chief: Imran Khan
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief and former Prime Minister Imran Khan on Wednesday warned that he would not let Nawaz Sharif decide the selection of the Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) and reiterated his demand that the selection should be done on merit.
“The army chief should be selected on “merit” and the “thieves” should never be allowed to undertake the task,” Imran Khan said while addressing a lawyers’ convention in Lahore, reported The Nation. He also announced that the party would begin its ‘Haqeeqi Azadi’ movement on Saturday, “I will give a call and we will get our country liberated in real terms,” said Khan.
Imran’s announcement comes after the incumbent government of Pakistan beefed up security arrangements in Red Zone areas of Islamabad, saying that “some people were headed towards Islamabad to have their political demands accepted”.
In his address yesterday, the PTI chief again said that those “issuing threats from unknown numbers” should be threatened back — something he had first mentioned in his speech in Chakwal on Monday, reported The Nation.
Earlier on Monday, while addressing a rally in Chakwal, PTI Chief said that when he says that the army chief should be selected on merit, it means Pakistan People’s Party and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz should not get to select the next COAS as they are the most corrupt people and do not rely on merit.
“Army chief should be appointed on merit and I believe only those nations prosper which follow merit. DG ISPR, you should have got me right about [army chief appointment comments],” said Imran while referring to his controversial remarks that angered the military.
“So if you want a prosperous Pakistan, the country that Quaid-e-Azam and Allama Iqbal had dreamed of, you must come out when I give the call,” said Imran Khan.
He criticised the incumbent government for its economic policies, saying the rupee had greatly depreciated against the dollar and caused inflation and unemployment to soar. He alleged that while the poor people were suffering, the wealth of those in the government was increasing.
Punjab Education Minister urges calm over Chandigarh University protest
Harjot Singh Bains, the Punjab education minister, has called for calm after a massive protest broke out on the Chandigarh University campus after videos of 60 girls bathing were leaked on the internet. The minister urged students to remain calm and the media to be cautious, saying the issue is sensitive and concerns the dignity of “our sisters and daughters.” “I humbly request all Chandigarh University students to remain calm; no one guilty will be spared,” the minister tweeted. “We all, including the media, must be extremely cautious; it is also a test of ours as a society,” he added.
The campus was thrown into chaos after it was discovered that some videos of the hostel girls bathing were available on the internet and were going viral. It was discovered that the videos were created by a female student and sent to a male student in Shimla, who then uploaded them to the internet. According to reports, approximately 60 such videos were leaked. When confronted by other girls and hostel staff, the accused allegedly confessed to the crime.
According to some accounts, the hostel administration attempted to cover up the incident while some of the girls whose videos were leaked attempted suicide, which the police denied. After locking the accused, the students came out and staged a massive protest on campus, after which police arrived and arrested the girl.
Mohali SSP dismissed reports of deaths, injuries, or suicide attempts in the aftermath of the video leak. “It’s a matter of a video being shot by a girl student & circulated. FIR has been registered in the matter and the accused student has been arrested. No death reported related to this incident. As per medical records, no attempt (to commit suicide) was reported,” Mohali SSP said.
“Do not spread any rumours. Let’s talk only based on facts. Medical records of all students have been taken. We will comment further only after the doctors give their reports. This is my request don’t pay attention to rumours. I have told this to the students also. Give us some time for the investigation to be completed,” the SSP said.
Manisha Gulati, the chairperson of the Punjab Women Commission, assured the student’s parents that the accused would not be spared. “This is a serious matter. An investigation is underway,” she said.
Several videos about the incident have gone viral on social media. In one of these unverified videos, the accused is seen being questioned by other students who are questioning her about why she made those videos. The accused allegedly claimed that the Shimla boy to whom she sent the videos forced her to do so.
4 die, 30 injured after speeding truck rams into a tractor in UP
A speeding truck rammed into a tractor-trolley carrying over 35 people on Thursday on the Lucknow-Delhi highway in the Siddhauli area of Sitapur district, killing four people and critically injuring 30 others.
Around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, people were travelling by tractor-trolley from Shahjahanpur’s Rauja area to Dewa Sharif shrine in Barabanki district for a mundan ceremony of a child.
According to police, the tractor-trolley was parked by the roadside because visibility was poor due to heavy rain.
According to police, the truck rammed into the trolley from behind, resulting in the tragedy.
Four people died on the spot, while the injured were taken to King George Medical University’s (KGMU) trauma centre in Lucknow for treatment.
Some of the injured people were in critical condition, according to KGMU doctors.
After the accident, traffic on the highway was disrupted, but it was restored after a crane removed the damaged truck and tractor-trolley from the scene.
Swing falls from 50 feet in Mohali carnival, 50 people injured
A carnival ride broke and fell from almost 50 feet in Punjab’s Mohali during a fair late on Sunday evening. According to the reports, a carnival was being held at the Dussehra Ground in Phase-8. The incident was occurred around 10 PM, when around 50 people, including women and children, were on the ride in the vertical tower.
Reportedly, ten people were badly wounded, including five children, when the joyride came crashing down. The injured were admitted to the civil hospital in Phase-6 and Fortis Hospital in Mohali. Most of them suffered from jaw and back injuries; they were admitted to the civil hospital in Phase-6 and Fortis Hospital in Mohali.
Soon after the mishap, deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Harsimran Singh Bal said, “There was a large footfall at the fete as it was a Sunday. We are trying to find out how this happened. A case will be registered accordingly. “
Mohali deputy commissioner Amit Talwar said, “We will hold an inquiry and strict action will be taken against the guilty.”
The carnival was supposed to end on August 31, but it got extended till September 11. The Deputy Commissioner said he would hold an inquiry on the organisers if they had permission from the authorities for the same.
The organisers are the focus of the inquiry and a FIR has been registered against them. The incident is currently the subject of an investigation.
An earthquake of 5.3-magnitude shakes Afghanistan, Pakistan; casualties and deaths are reported.
An earthquake measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale hit several provinces of Afghanistan on Monday morning, and reportedly, six people were killed and nine were injured.
A local official of Kunar province told, “Six people were killed and nine others were wounded in the earthquake in the Noorgul district of Kunar.”
According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the earthquake occurred at 2:27 AM (Afghanistan Time) at a depth of 10 kilometres, and the epicentre was Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province.
According to the Pakistani publication Dawn, tremors from the earthquake were felt in Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Peshawar, Mardan, Abbottabad, Swabi, Mohmand and adjacent areas.
The damage and casualties from the incident are yet to be known.
ELECTION FOR CONGRESS PRESIDENT ON 17 OCTOBER
ONLY RAHUL GANDHI CAN LIFT THE PARTY: MALLIKARJUN KHARGE
NEW DELHI: Congress Rajya Sabha MP Mallikarjun Kharge on Sunday said that Rahul Gandhi should take the lead of the Congress party since he has the ability to lift the party from the crisis. Kharge said, “Today the whole situation has become clear regarding the election of Congress Party President. I have my personal opinion and it is the feeling of all the workers that Rahul Gandhi should take the lead of the Congress party at this time. He should become the president of the Congress party.” “Rahul Gandhi is the only one who can lift the Congress. He can unify and strengthen the party. Only he has the ability to assemble people even in the Bharat Jodo programme,” added the veteran leader.
In the backdrop of the resignation of veteran Ghulam Nabi Azad, Congress Working Committee (CWC) on Sunday decided that the election for the president post will be held on 17 October. The counting of the votes will be done on 19 October.
Congress interim president Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and party general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra joined the meeting via video conferencing. Former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh also joined the meeting virtually
In the meeting, it was decided that the election for the Congress president will be held on 17 October and the counting of votes will be done on 19 October.
According to the party statement, the election notification will be released on 22 September. The nomination can be filed between 24 September and 30 September. The scrutiny will be on
October Further, the last date of withdrawal of nomination is 8 October. Finally, the results will be declared on 19 October.
According to sources, the Central Election Authority has made preparations to complete the election process on time.
Sources also said that the election for the post of president has now become a challenge for Congress with the reluctance of Rahul Gandhi to contest the polls.
The process seems to remain stuck since Rahul Gandhi is not willing to contest the election for the post of Congress president, although all the efforts to convince him are still going on.
Meanwhile, Congress plans to embark on ‘Bharat Jodo Yatra’ from Kanyakumari on September 7 under the leadership of party leader Rahul Gandhi and the 148-day march will culminate in Kashmir.
The five-month yatra is scheduled to cover a distance of 3,500 kilometres and more than 12 states. The padayatra (march) will cover a distance of 25 km every day.
The Yatra will include padayatras, rallies, and public meetings which will be attended by the senior Congress leaders including Sonia Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
Opinion2 years ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking2 years ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Royally Speaking2 years ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219