+

T20 World Cup 2024: "Australia Outclassed England", Nasser Hussain Praises Australia's Efforts

Following Australia’s commanding 36-run victory over England in the T20 World Cup 2024 at the Kensington Oval in Barbados, former cricketer Nasser Hussain praised it as a comprehensive team effort from Mitchell Marsh’s squad. Aussie spinner Adam Zampa received the ‘Player of the Match’ award for his impactful performance, claiming two crucial wickets during his […]

Nasser Hussain
Nasser Hussain

Following Australia’s commanding 36-run victory over England in the T20 World Cup 2024 at the Kensington Oval in Barbados, former cricketer Nasser Hussain praised it as a comprehensive team effort from Mitchell Marsh’s squad.

Aussie spinner Adam Zampa received the ‘Player of the Match’ award for his impactful performance, claiming two crucial wickets during his four-over spell.

Speaking on Sky Sports, Nasser remarked that Australia outperformed England in the 17th match of the prestigious tournament. The former England captain noted that Australia’s formidable 201-run total in the first innings proved to be too challenging for the conditions at Kensington Oval.

“Australia outclassed England, it was a complete team performance. A total of 201 was too many on that pitch, even with that short boundary,” Nasser was quoted by Sky Sports as saying.

Nasser Hussain, 56, further commented that England’s choice to have Will Jacks bowl in the initial innings had negative consequences for the English team. Jacks bowled only one over during the match and conceded 22 runs.

“The decision to bowl Jacks backfired but I didn’t like how they were too slow to go to their slower balls and cutters. I saw them obsessed by blowing away opposition with pace and I think it was a pace-off pitch and they didn’t adapt quickly enough,” he added.

Michael Atherton, a former England cricketer, echoed similar sentiments, expressing that Jos Buttler’s choice to have Jacks bowl seemed unusual, especially considering the 25-year-old’s lack of experience in bowling.

“I thought the decision to bowl Jacks was odd on a couple of counts, as England have gone with pace in their line-up with Wood and Jofra Archer and also because Jacks is pretty inexperienced and the type of off-spinner that is quite floaty. It could have paid off against the lefties but it was a high-risk strategy and one that cost 22 runs,” Atherton said.

Summarizing the game, Australia’s opening duo, Travis Head and David Warner, set a solid foundation with a dynamic partnership of 70 runs, paving the way for the Baggy Greens. Subsequent contributions from the rest of the batting lineup propelled Australia to their highest-ever total in the tournament’s history – 201/7.

In response, England’s opening pair, Jos Buttler and Phil Salt, started their chase on a positive note. However, the lack of support from the middle order proved detrimental. Australia effectively restricted their arch-rivals to 165/6, securing a commanding victory by 36 runs.

Tags:

2024 T20 World CupAustraliaEnglandNasser HussainTDGThe Daily Guardian