SC imposes token fine of Re 1 on Bhushan for contempt of court - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

SC imposes token fine of Re 1 on Bhushan for contempt of court

Ashish Sinha

Published

on

The Supreme Court on Monday imposed a token penalty of one rupee on activist-lawyer Prashant Bhushan as his punishment in the criminal contempt case.

A bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra said, “Bhushan must deposit Rupee One by September 15, failing which he shall undergo a simple imprisonment for a period of three months and further be debarred from practising in this Court for a period of three years.”

 The top court had previously said, “The act committed by the contemnor (Bhushan) is a very serious one.  He has attempted to denigrate the reputation of the institution of administration of justice of which he himself is a part.  At the cost of repetition, we have to state that the faith of the citizens of the country in the institution of justice is the foundation for rule of law which is an essential factor in the democratic set up.”

The SC also said, “From the very beginning, was desirous of giving quietus to this matter. Directly or indirectly, the contemnor (Bhushan) was persuaded to end this matter by tendering an  apology and save the grace of the institution as well as the individual, who is an officer of the Court. However, for the reasons best known to him he has neither shown regret in spite of our persuasion or the advice of the learned Attorney General.”

“The contemnor (Bhushan) not only gave wide publicity to the second statement submitted before this Court on 24 Aug prior to the same being tendered to the Court, but also gave various interviews with regard to sub judice matter, thereby further attempting to bring down the reputation of this Court. If we do not take cognizance of such conduct it will give a wrong message to the lawyers and litigants throughout the country. However, by showing magnanimity, instead of imposing any severe punishment, we are sentencing the contemnor with a nominal fine of Re.1/ (Rupee one),” the SC stated in its judgement.

 The nation’s apex court also made an observation regarding the press conference held by four Supreme Court judges in January 2018. The SC said, “We hope it was the first and the last occasion that the Judges have gone to press, and God gives wisdom to protect its dignity by internal mechanism, particularly, when allegations made, if any, publicly cannot be met by sufferer Judges. It would cause suffering to them till eternity. Truth can be the defence to the Judges also, but they are bound by their judicial norms, ethics, and code of conduct.” These observations were made while addressing the defence raised by Bhushan relying on the statements made by four SC judges at the press conference.

After the Supreme Court judgement, Prashant Bhushan spoke to The Daily Guardian, saying, “My lawyer and senior colleague, Rajiv Dhavan, contributed Re 1 immediately after the contempt judgement today, which I gratefully accepted.” Bhushan also held a press conference where he said, “I am here to cheerfully submit to any penalty that can lawfully be inflicted upon me for what the Court has determined to be an offence, and what appears to me to be the highest duty of a citizen. Therefore, while I reserve the right to seek a review of the conviction and sentencing, by way of an appropriate legal remedy, I propose to submit myself to this order and will respectfully pay the fine, just as I would have submitted to any other lawful punishment.”

“I have had the greatest respect for the institution of the Supreme Court. I have always believed it to be the last bastion of hope, particularly for the weak and the oppressed who knock at its door for the protection of their rights, often against a powerful executive. My tweets were not intended in any way to disrespect the Supreme Court or the judiciary as a whole, but were merely meant to express my anguish, at what I felt, was a deviation from its sterling past record. This issue was never about me versus the Hon’ble Judges, much less about me vs the Supreme Court. When the Supreme Court of India wins, every Indian wins. Every Indian wants a strong and independent judiciary. Obviously, if the courts get weakened, it weakens the republic and harms every citizen,” Bhushan added.

 On 25 August, the SC had reserved its judgement on the sentence against advocate Prashant Bhushan for contempt of court regarding his derogatory tweets about the CJI and his four predecessors. “If you are hurting someone, then what is wrong in apologizing?” Justice Arun Mishra had asked.

On 24 August, Bhushan had filed a statement before the top court and refused to submit an unconditional apology to the SC. “My tweets represented this bona fide belief that I continue to hold. Public expression of these beliefs was, I believe, in line with my higher obligations as a citizen and a loyal officer of this court,” Bhushan had said. On 14 August, the SC had held lawyer Prashant Bhushan guilty of contempt of court for his tweets derogatory to the CJI and his four predecessors.

 On July 22, the SC had issued notice to him, asking Bhushan to explain his tweets “undermining the dignity and authority of the Supreme Court in general and the office of the Chief Justice of India in particular”.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

Nation

Harmanpreet’s emotional breakdown on Jhulan Goswami’s farewell game.

Published

on

Jhulan played her farewell match

The Indian Women’s Cricket team stepped into the iconic Lord’s stadium for the ODI match against England. While the team aimed to create history by clean sweeping England on their pitch, this match holds its importance beyond this.
The match was special as the Indian pace baller, Jhulan Goswami will bid adieu to the sports after this match. Ahead of the third and final match, Indian captain, Harmanpreet Kaur was seen crying and then Jhulan hugged her.

Jhulan’s cricket career has been spectacular where she played 12 tests, 2014 ODIs and 68 T20s for India. She has the record for the most number of wickets, 353 wickets, in her international career. This is the most by any player in women’s cricket.
“I’d like to thank the BCCI, my friends, my family, my coaches, teammates, and captains,” said the bowling legend to Sky Cricket before the start of the match. “Everyone, thanks for this opportunity, this is a very special moment.”

“When I started my career in 2002, I played my first series against England, and I’m ending against England in my last series. And the most important thing is that we’re 2-0 up in the series which is the most important thing for me at this moment.’
“Every moment [of 20-year career] has had a lot of emotions, a lot of effort put in. But the 2017 World Cup where our team came back and fought [is the highlight]. Nobody gave us a chance initially that we would be playing in a final, but the way we played that tournament was something different I think, and from there women’s cricket in India slowly and gradually picked up.
“And at this moment, we have our path to motivate generations and young girls to take up sport and that they have an option with cricket. I have to [keep emotions in check], I can’t come with all those emotions onto the cricket field, As a ruthless character, I have to come out and play hard cricket and give my best,” she added.

It was an emotional moment for the nation and the teammates. Captain Harmanpreet broke into tears during the farewell match of Jhulan Goswami.

Continue Reading

News

Following his ‘friend and greatest rival’, Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup 2022.

Published

on

nadal withdraws from tournament

Today was the final match of Roger Federer’s career and the Swiss tennis legend withdrew his name from the Laver Cup 2022 tournament. Moments later his friend and greatest rival Rafael Nadal followed him and withdrew from the event.

Nadal arrived in London, a day before his match alongside Federer. He straight up went to meet his teammates before going for the gala dinner. He could barely practice due to a shortage of time. The pair lost the final match of Federer’s glorious career to the Team World combination of Jack Sock and Frances Tiafoe.

Moments after the match, Nadal withdrew from the singles tie. He is replaced by Cameron Norrie in the lineup against Team World’s highest-ranked player Taylor Fritz.
The Laver Cup confirmed on Saturday morning: “Matteo Berrettini will be stepping in for Roger Federer: ‘I cannot wait to start.’ Additionally, Rafael Nadal withdrew for personal reasons. He will be replaced by Cameron Norrie.”


“I am not doing well. It’s been a tough time for me, I hardly slept, I was stressed. Luckily everything is okay and I was able to get here,” said Nadal in the post-match presser explaining the reason behind his withdrawal.

Continue Reading

Nation

Police to arrest ex-students of Bhopal college over girl’s obscene video

Published

on

By

Police in Bhopal have arrested two former students of an Industrial Training Institute (ITI) for shooting an obscene video of a female college student and blackmailing her.

Rahul Yadav and Khusboo Thakur were arrested by police under Section 383 (extortion) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and pertinent provisions of the IT Act, while Ayan, another suspect, has ran away.

“A 19-year-old girl went missing from her house on Friday.The parents filed a police complaint and the police traced her at Bhopal railway station after a few hours. When police registered the girl’s statement, she informed that on September 17, there was a cultural programme in the college on the occasion of Vishwakarma Jayanti. She was changing her clothes in a washroom where Khushboo shot her obscene video,” said additional deputy commissioner of police (ADCP), Rajesh Bhadoriya.

“The girl said three students showed the video to her boy friend and demanded ₹10,000 and also threatened to circulate it on social media. The girl’s parents worked in the ITI and she was afraid of public insult of her parents so she decided to run away,” said ADCP.

At the police station in Ashoka Garden, the cops filed a first information report (FIR).

Police are looking into the matter to determine whether she is the only girl experiencing this trauma or if it also happened to other girls, according to the police officer.

The three former students used to spend much of their time at the institution and harass students, according to the college students who reported them to the police.

Continue Reading

Nation

Ankita Murder Case: Outraged crowd vandalized BJP MLA’s car

Published

on

After the dead body of a 19-year-old missing teen girl was found in a canal in Rishikesh, there has been outrage among the locals.
It intensified on Saturday and the locals vandalized the car of BJP MLA Renu Bisht. Later, police had to escort the MLA safely.

The body was identified by the teen’s relative, who was reported missing for the past 6 days.
Three people were arrested by Uttrakhand Police on Friday including Pulkit Arya the son of Vinod Arya, a former BJP minister in the state. The girl was employed as the receptionist in a resort in the city, which is allegedly owned by the MLA.

Earlier in the day, the resort owned by the accused was also set on fire by the locals. Uttarakhand chief minister Pushkar Singh Dhami expressed pain over the death of the woman and announced the setting up of an SIT, led by DIG police P Renuka Devi, to conduct a speedy probe into the killing.

As an effect of the protests, BJP expelled the father, BJP leader Vinod Arya and brother of the accused from the party earlier on Saturday.
“During the investigation, police learnt the accused and the woman had gone to Rishikesh on Sunday. While on their way back, Pulkit and the woman entered into an argument following which the accused threw her into a canal in Chilla,” the SSP said.

Continue Reading

Nation

Lalu Yadav criticises Amit Shah for attacking Bihar govt

Published

on

By

A day before he meets Congress leader Sonia Gandhi and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, RJD President Lalu Prasad Yadav on Saturday criticised Home Minister Amit Shah for his attack on the Bihar government coalition and emphasised the need for Opposition unity.

“Amit Shah has utterly lost his mind.  His administration has been overthrown in Bihar. The BJP will also lost in 2024. That is why he is sprinting there (Bihar) and speaking of jungle raaj. What did he do when he was in Gujarat,” Yadav said.

The former chief minister of Bihar said that “Jungle raaj” was present in Gujarat when he was there.

On Sunday evening, Kumar and Yadav will probably meet Sonia Gandhi, the president of the Congress.

We are making every effort for Opposition unity,” Yadav, who has been battling poor health, said, adding this will the agenda of their meeting.

The Bihar chief minister was slammed by Shah on Friday for allegedly betraying the BJP and attempting to advance his prime ministerial ambitions while “sitting in the laps of Congress and RJD.”

At a rally in Purnea, Shah predicted that the Kumar-Lalu Prasad jodi would be destroyed (soopda saaf) in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections and that the BJP will win a majority by itself in the state assembly elections the following year.

In response, Yadav said, “Amit Shah bilkul paglaye hue hain” ( Amit Shah is absolutely insane).

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

Falguni Pathak remarks ‘Wish I could take action’ over Neha Kakkar’s ‘Maine Payal Hai’ remake

Published

on

By

The renowned singer Falguni Pathak is not happy with Neha Kakkar’s recreation of her iconic song ‘Maine Payal Hai Chhankai’. She said in a recent interview that neither the producers nor Neha made an effort to get in touch with her prior to or following the release of the new song, ‘O Sajna’. The veteran singer also said that she wished to take action against the Neha Kakkar song but was unable to do so since she did not have the song rights.

Neha has come under fire from several fans for ‘ruining’ the original. The original singer of the 1990s hit song, Falguni, reshared fan posts on Instagram Story, subtly criticising Neha’s rendition of the song titled “O Sajna.”

“How long you can go Neha Kakkar? Stop ruining our old classics for us. Falguni Pathak is the OG. Stop with it already,” one of the posts on Falguni’s Instagram Story read.

The actors Vivan Bhatena and Nikhila Palat were featured in the original song, which was launched in 1999. At a college festival, the song was performed as a puppet show. The song was a resounding hit. Recently, the updated version was unveiled.

The music video for “O Sajna” features Dhanashree Verma and Priyank Sharma. “O Sajna” was written by Tanishk Bagchi, who is renowned for reinventing classic Hindi melodies.

Continue Reading

Trending