Lord Rama serves as a timeless exemplar of virtuous living in the Hindu ethos. Embodying the highest morals and choicest virtues, Rama’s nobility stood tall amidst intense personal trials and tribulations. His unwavering commitment to truth and dharma manifested through dignified courage in the face adversity. Though destined for kingship, Rama underwent hardship to honour his father’s promise without hesitation or remorse. In exile and war, his strength, compassion and justice uplifted the oppressed. Rescuing kidnapped Sita reinforced faith in duty’s ultimate triumph. Even ascetic-minded mystics seek inspirational solace in Lord Rama’s conduct that synergized self-control with loving kindness.
Epitomizing the ideal son, brother, husband and king, Rama’s life conveys that upholding righteousness through moral courage and integrity is the foremost duty, regardless of the situation or temptation at hand. For centuries, his reign set the gold standard of enlightened leadership backed by action. Failure could not deter Rama from the righteous path. His measured words, empathy in governance and protection of the helpless reinstated dharma’s glory.
Lord Rama’s choices teach that dedicating oneself to higher ideals and inclusive welfare uplifts all including oneself. His legacy serves as a handbook for life.Rama’s life showed dharma in action – the path one must emulate for growth. Such pragmatic wisdom benefits all aspects of life – relationships, leadership, business, life skills and more.
Positive qualities and values inspired by Shri Rama that one could imbibe:
1. Self-discipline: Rama gave up the comforts of palace life to keep his father Dasharatha’s promise without hesitation or resentment, displaying great self-discipline despite adversity.
2. Trustworthiness: Rama displayed utmost integrity and fairness in all his relationships, thereby building trust. He kept his word under all circumstances. Cultivating trustworthiness strengthens bonds.
3. Sense of duty: Rama always placed his sense of duty and commitment towards protecting others above personal desires and relationships. His reign epitomized the ethos of ‘’Dharmo Rakshati Rakshitah’’ (If you protect dharma, it will protect you).
4. Strategic thinking: Rama demonstrated strong strategic thinking skills in assessing complex situations during war and governance to plan the best course of action. Developing this ability is key for business success as thinking long-term aids growth.
5. Decisiveness: Rama would swiftly take major decisions regarding kingdom, governance, allotment of resources with confidence after consultation, without undue doubt. As a leader, he led boldly despite uncertainty.
6. Team building: Rama intrinsically motivated people and built aligned teams of advisors, generals and troops by setting an example. Teams working wholeheartedly for a larger purpose perform better.
7. Equanimity:Rama faced immense struggles and sorrows during his exile, but dealt with every situation with grace and equanimity. He did not lose composure of mind.
8. Compassion: Rama treated all beings, from humans to animals and demons with kindness and compassion. As a leader, he cared deeply for his subjects.
9. Restraint: Demonstrating restraint over anger, grief and desires was a quality Rama stood for. Despite provocation, he maintained composure when not given kingship, during exile and war. Learning measured response aids wisdom.
10. Statesmanship: Rama ruled Ayodhya with foresight combining courage, compassion, intellect and commitment to his subjects’ wellbeing thereby excelling as a statesman. He led by example, true to his duties. Such principled leadership earns lasting public trust.
Rama’s life provides a guiding framework on effectively balancing personal relationships alongside professional and societal duties. His deep devotion to family co-existed with tireless service to kingdom with neither dominating excessively.The principles Rama personified on gracefully balancing duty, service and family has lasting relevance.
Dr Chandni Tugnait is M.D. (Alternative Medicines), Psychotherapist, Life Coach, Business Coach, NLP Expert, Healer, Founder & Director – Gateway of Healing.