Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have received their invitation to King Charles III’s coronation — but whether they’ll head to the United Kingdom for the May 6 crowning ceremony is still unclear.
A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said in a statement this weekend, “I can confirm The Duke has recently received email correspondence from His Majesty’s office regarding the coronation. An immediate decision on whether The Duke and Duchess will attend will not be disclosed by us at this time.” Buckingham Palace has not made any official comment about it so far. So far relations between the Sussexes and the royal family have remained strained after Prince Harry’s controversial memoir in which he claimed that his brother William attacked him. Meanwhile in last December’s six-hour docuseries the couple again aired various grievances, having previously accused the royal family of racism. In an interview with ITV’s Tom Bradby surrounding the book, Harry said of the coronation, “There’s a lot that can happen between now and then. But, you know, the door is always open. The ball is in their court. There’s a lot to be discussed, and I really hope that they are willing to sit down and talk about it.”