Winters are beautiful and a relief to most especially after the torrid summer months we face Delhi/NCR and some neighbouring states. It is in this season that businesses blossom, the festive season is in full swing, and folks are raring to go out and party. However, this year is different from the rest and it is vogue to stay in, instead of going out!
They say, “When life gives you lemonade, make a lemonade”, to which I would add, “Make a mean cocktail instead!” While this year is about sheer survival, it is also about doing a complete SWOT analysis of oneself and one’s business and also trying out new strategies and that includes more out-of-the-box recipes across the board.
Winters are all about getting together and drinking some warm cocktails with close ones. Since we have been doing this mulled wine and hot toddy for too long now, it is time to break those boundaries in this segment too and let our palates feast on some spectacular hot cocktail recipes from the industry, which are a must-try this season!
TOASTED S’MORES RUSTY NAIL
by Sandy Varma, mixologist & sommelier
On the chilliest days of the year, you may love throwing on some fuzzy socks, cuddling up on your couch, and sipping hot chocolate, but the only difference is – Ours is made with #Bourbon.
Because, #whiskey never asks you questions… it just understands!
Here’s the recipe for extreme happiness:
• 30ml Marshmallow Infused Bourbon
• 30ml Drambuie
• 240 ml Hot Chocolate Mix
• 10 ml Hazelnut Nutella Butter Spread
• Pinch of Cinnamon
• Pinch of Kosher Salt
• Irish Coffee Mug Garnish
• Toasted Marshmallows (lots of them!)
1.Stir and mix Hot Chocolate Mix, Hazelnut spread, Cinnamon and Kosher Salt in a pan over some heat for a few minutes.
2. Preheat the Irish Coffee Mug
3. Pour Marshmallow infused Bourbon and Drambuie into the glass.
4. Top it up with hot n flavoured hot chocolate.
5. Garnish with some Marshmallows and toast the Marshmallows with some fire (optional)
Just put your feet up this festive season and enjoy this absolutely delicious cocktail with your friends and family!
HOT BUTTERED RUM
by Yangdup Lama, Sidecar
• Dark rum
• unsalted butter
• vodka infusion
• fresh thyme
• brown sugar
• lime juice
1. Mix a small cube of butter, 10 ml infusion, 1 bar spoon brown sugar, 5 ml lime juice with hot water.
2. Stir well and wait till the butter gets dissolved.
3. Pour 50 ml rum.
4. Stir and garnish with fresh thyme.
This recipe is a classic and one of my personal favourites!
G-LINK IS FENI-BASED COCKTAIL
by Ankur Kashyap, Anamiva Goa
The name says it all: It’s the Goa link! It’s a build up cocktail so we add all the layers into the glass itself and there’s no need for an assembly outside of it.
• Feni – 40 ml
• Merlot wine – 30 ml
• Homemade cinnamon syrup – 20 ml
• Homemade ginger syrup – 5 ml
• Kokum syrup – 5 ml
• Fresh lime – 15 ml
• Bitters – 1 dash
• Cloves – 3 no
• Hot water – 150 ml
• Sesame oil – 1 drop
• A piece of Cinnamon for smoking
• Orange Wheel (optional)
1. Boil the Kokum syrup with the sesame oil and cloves
2. Start with Taking a brandy balloon glass and adding the Kokum Syrum and the Feni
3. Add the Merlot and the cinnamon syrup
4. The, the lime juice and ginger syrup
5. Top it up with hot water
6. Smoke the drink with the cinnamon
7. Garnish with the bitters and an Orange wheel
by Mahinder Mahy, beverage consultant
It’s just like a traditional Margarita, but with Yellow Chartreuse, Agave & Tequila. And, we can split the base between tequila and mezcal. It gives you those summer flavors, but with the thickness of the body and the smoke of the Tequila makes you the perfect ever Cocktail with some Woody notes & fine complexion into it.
• Chartreuse Liqueur – 15ml
• Agave Infused Tequila – 45ml
• Agave Nectar – 5ml
• Lime Juice-20ml
• Orange cold press-30ml
• Cointreu-7.5 ml
It’s a build-up cocktail and so just add all the ingredients in one by one, starting with the Chartreuse liqueur and ending with the Cointreau.
This is a new one for me but it tastes divine, bursting with flavours. The liqueurs give the cocktail all the warmth it needs!