A day after the objectionable leaked videos of girl students of Chandigarh University in Mohali went viral, a student received call from an international number threatening to make her ‘videos public’. Following this, the students intensified their protests inside the campus for some time.
Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann constituted a three-member all-women Special Investigation Team of police officials to probe the case in which a Chandigarh University student allegedly made objectionable videos of her hostel mates, police said on Monday.
The SIT team will be under the supervision of senior IPS officer Gurpreet Kaur Deo.
“SIT will go to the bottom of the conspiracy. No person is to be spared if found involved. One student and two others were arrested. Thanks to DGP Himachal Pradesh for excellent co-operation. Electronic devices were seized and sent for forensic examination,” said DGP Punjab, Gaurav Yadav.
He further appealed to everyone to maintain peace and said, “Don’t fall to unverified rumours. Let’s work together for peace in society. Appeal to everyone to maintain peace and harmony.
The Chandigarh University campus on Monday remained peaceful although it witnessed another round of agitation following a threat call received by a student. Students said the caller made the calls from an international number +1(204) 819-9002 and used abusive language threatening that the caller is in possession of videos which would be made public soon.
As the panic grips the campus, students were seen leaving the campus for home or some other places which they find safer. Many students, however, continued to hold protests.
The university authority has suspended 2 wardens. The university will also remain close till 24 September.
Meanwhile, Mohali police produced the accused student and her two friends Rankaj Verma and Sunny Mehra in Kharar court. All three have been sent to 7-day police remand by the court.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) GS Bhullar spoke to the protesting students late on Sunday night and tried to pacify them by saying “implicit faith is necessary” and “law is being followed”.
“We will keep coming to you, implicit faith is necessary,” said DIG GS Bhullar.
DIG Bhullar also said that there was a communication gap earlier, which the police are trying to bridge.
“The issue has been of communication gap. We have been clarifying again and again. We are assuring students that law is being followed and all legal procedures are being undertaken,” DIG Bhullar said.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
4 kidnapped Indian family found dead in California
An eight-month-old baby girl along with her Indian-origin parents and uncle living in the US, who were abducted at gunpoint earlier this week in California were found dead in an orchard in the US state, police said.
Bodies of four members of the family, who originally hail from Punjab were discovered lying close to each other, by a farm worker in a remote orchard in Merced county, Sheriff Vern Warnke said on Wednesday.
“Tonight our worse fears have been confirmed,” the Sheriff said addressing a press conference. “We found four people from the kidnapping. They are in fact deceased,” Sheriff Vern Warnke said.
“The family (of the victim) have been notified. We have made arrangements through other contacts to try and get them,” he said. The police will process the scene of crime to determine the motive for the killings, he said.
The family, according to authorities were taken by a convicted robber who tried to kill himself a day after the kidnappings.
The Sheriff described it as a “horribly senseless” act and said that the police did not know the “motivation yet.”
“We have a whole family wiped out and for what? We don’t know yet,” he said.
36-year-old Jasdeep Singh, 27-year-old Jasleen Kaur, their eight-month-old child Aroohi Dheri, along with 39-year-old Amandeep Singh were abducted, police said.
The news of the missing family was reported on Monday after local authorities found the missing victim’s truck on fire in a rural area outside the Merced Country.
A surveillance video that was released by the Twitter handle of the Merced County Sheriff’s office showed the suspect leading Jasdeep Singh who was carrying baby Aroohi in her arms into a truck and driving away.
California fire officials discovered Amandeep Singh’s truck ablaze in a rural area outside Merced.
“..received information that one of the victim’s ATM cards was used at an ATM located at a bank in the City of Atwater. Investigators obtained the surveillance photo of a subject making a bank transaction where the person is similar in appearance to the surveillance photo from the original kidnapping scene,” the Merced County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.
Mass shooting in Thailand kills 36, including 23 children
The killer of the massacre is an ex-cop who launches a frontal attack on a child care centre.
t least 36 people, including 23 children, were killed in a mass shooting at a nursery in northeast Thailand, local media reported on Thursday. The attacker was identified as Panya Kamrab, a 34-year-old former policeman who killed himself immediately after the attack. The brutal incident took place at the Child Development Center in Nong Bua Lamphu province’s Uthaisawan Na Klang district.
According to local police officials, the attacker was involved in an ongoing court case for allegedly selling drugs and had killed his wife and his stepson before taking his own life.
The region where the massacre took place is located approximately 540 kilometres (around 335 miles) northeast of Bangkok and is a peaceful area, not known for violence, CNN reported citing the officials.
The suspect had appeared in court in Nong Bua Lamphu province hours before “opening fire while the kids were sleeping,” according to Maj. Gen. Jirapob Puridet of the CIB. The former officer was dismissed from duty and “charged with selling narcotics” last year, Puridet told CNN.
His 2-year-old stepson was enrolled at the center he attacked Thursday, but was not present while the attack was carried out, according to a local police chief.
“(The shooter) went to look for his two-year-old son, but the boy was not there … so he started shooting as well as stabbing people at the nursery,” police spokesperson Maj. General Paisan Luesomboon told CNN.
One of the center’s teachers described a horrific scene to local media, explaining that the attacker entered the center around noon, while two other staff members were having lunch.
“I suddenly heard the sound just sounded like fire crackers. So I looked back [and] the two staffs just collapsed on the floor,” the teacher said.
“Then he pulled another gun from his waist…I didn’t expect he would also kill the kids,” they said.
Earlier, the prime minister’s office had urged all the securities officials to catch the culprit. In a statement it said, “The prime minister has expressed his condolences on the shooting incident.”
Mass shootings in the country are rare but in 2020 an incident saw a soldier killing 29 people in a shooting spree that began at a military site and then sent shoppers hunting for cover after the gunman entered a mall, reported CNN.
However, the rate of gun ownership is high compared with some other countries in the region, and illegal weapons are common.
The incident sparked international condemnation.
In a statement, UNICEF said it was “shocked” by the tragedy and sent its condolences to the families affected. It condemned the attack, saying: “No child should be a target or witness of violence anywhere, anytime,” adding, “Early childhood development centers, schools and all learning spaces must be safe havens for young children to learn, play and grow during their most critical years.”
UK Prime Minister Liz Truss said in a tweet that she was “shocked to hear of the horrific events,” and said that her “thoughts are with all those affected and the first responders.”
“The UK stands with the Thai people at this terrible time,” she said.
Iran closes border crossing with Pakistan amid deadly clashes
Iranian government closed the Gabd-Rimdan border with Pakistan following deadly clashes between Iran’s security forces and its Baloch people in Zahedan, the capital of Iran’s Sistan and Balochistan Provinces.
The border demarcates Gabd in Pakistan’s Balochistan and Rimdan in Iran’s Sistan province. Iran had closed the crossing point after armed clashes between its security forces and Iranian Baloch people in Zahedan, where “hundreds of people were killed and several others injured.” “The Gabd crossing gate was closed for an indefinite period for pilgrims and trade,” Iranian officials said.
At least 63 people were killed last week when Iranian security forces “bloodily suppressed” a protest in the city of Zahedan, a Norway-based Iran Human Rights (IHR) NGO was quoted as saying.
Iranian forces also suffered casualties, including two senior intelligence commanders.
According to the rights group, the clashes started after reports of a police chief in the port city of Chabahar (in Sistan and Baluchestan province) allegedly raping a 15-year-old girl. Reports added that after the news spread, deadly clashes broke out in Zahedan, the capital of the province, which is home to the Baluch ethnic minority that largely adheres to Sunni Islam in predominantly Shiite Iran, reports added.
The incident occurs against the backdrop of nationwide protests following the death of Mahsa Amini by morality police.
SpaceX blasts off for international space station
Billionaire tycoon Elon Musk-led Space X blasted off from Florida on Wednesday and headed for the International Space Station.
The mission included a Russian cosmonaut, a Japanese and two American astronauts. A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying the company’s Dragon spacecraft is launched on NASA’s SpaceX Crew-5 mission to the International Space Station with NASA astronauts Nicole Mann and Josh Cassada, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) astronaut Koichi Wakata, and Roscosmos cosmonaut Anna Kikina onboard on October 5 at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, according to the press statement released by NASA.
NASA’s SpaceX Crew-5 is the fifth mission of the SpaceX Dragon spacecraft and Falcon 9 rocket to the ISS as part of the agency’s Commercial Crew Program.
The crew members assigned to NASA’s SpaceX Crew-5 mission are in orbit now. The international crew will serve as the agency’s fifth commercial crew rotation mission with SpaceX aboard the orbital laboratory.
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket propelled the Dragon Endurance spacecraft into orbit, carrying NASA astronauts Nicole Mann, as mission commander, and Josh Cassada, as pilot. A statement said, “Wakata and Kikina, also aboard the Dragon, will serve as mission specialists for their science expedition in microgravity aboard the space station”. Dragon will dock autonomously to the space-facing port of the station’s Harmony module around 4:57 p.m. Thursday, 6 October. NASA Television, the NASA app, and the agency’s website will provide live coverage of docking and hatch opening.
White House says OPEC+ ‘aligning’ with Russia over oil production cuts
The White House on Wednesday (local time) expressed disappointment over the announcement of a cut in oil production quotas by Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and its allies.
Criticizing the move by OPEC+ on cuts, the Biden administration said that it was a “short-sighted decision”. White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre accused OPEC+ of “aligning with Russia”.
The White House said in a statement from national security adviser Jake Sullivan and National Economic Council Director Brian Deese that “the president is disappointed by the shortsighted decision by OPEC+ to cut production quotas while the global economy is dealing with the continued negative impact of Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.”
Earlier in the day, members of OPEC+ said that they would cut November production quotas by two million barrels per day, citing the “uncertainty that surrounds the global economic and oil market outlooks.”
“We (OPEC+) are here to stay as a moderating force, to bring about stability,” Saudi Arabian energy minister Abdulaziz bin Salman Al Saud said during a news conference.
An OPEC+ memo outlining cuts shows that Saudi Arabia and Russia will make the biggest individual reductions of the 19 countries doing so, lowering output by 526,000 monthly barrels a piece.
The White House warned that OPEC’s move would “have the most negative impact on lower-and middle-income countries that are already reeling from elevated energy prices.”
The White House also said that President Biden has directed the Department of Energy to release another 10 million oil barrels from the country’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve next month, signalling the administration’s effort to keep gas prices low for another month until the crucial midterms.
US accuses ‘two permanent UNSC members’ of aiding North Korea
Without naming China and Russia, the United States on Wednesday (local time) accused “two permanent members” of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) of helping North Korea by protecting Pyongyang from attempts to strengthen UNSC sanctions imposed over its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.
“The DPRK (North Korea) has enjoyed blanket protection from two members of this council,” US Ambassador to the United Nations, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, said at the UN. The 15-member United Nations Security Council met on Wednesday after North Korea test-fired a ballistic missile on Tuesday that soared over Japan for the first time in five years and prompting a warning for residents there to take cover.
The White House said that both Biden and Kishida confirmed that they would continue to closely coordinate their immediate and longer-term response bilaterally, trilaterally with the Republic of Korea, and with the international community.
“They confirmed they would continue to closely coordinate their immediate and longer-term response bilaterally, trilaterally with the Republic of Korea, and with the international community. The leaders discussed the importance of immediate return and resolution of the cases of Japanese citizens abducted by the DPRK and resolved to continue every effort to limit the DPRK’s ability to support its unlawful ballistic missile and weapons of mass destruction programs,” the statement added.
Apart from US, India has also condemned the missile launches, saying it disturbs peace and security in the region and beyond.
Opinion2 years ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking2 years ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Royally Speaking2 years ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219