Farmers protesting against the Centre’s farm laws have started the “Kisan Sansad” near Jantar Mantar. Hanan Mulla has been made the “Speaker” and Manjit Singh has been made “deputy speaker”. Farmer leader Yogendra Yadav said that all the farmers are taking one turn in the farmers’ parliament. He alleged that the Delhi Police delayed the arrival at Jantar Mantar and kept the farmers moving for 2.5 hours. He told that the farmers’ parliament will run till 5 pm today. Rakesh Tikait is also at Jantar Mantar. These farmers will march to Parliament daily from today (Thursday, 22 July) and there will be farmers’ parliament. Congress MPs demonstrated in front of the Gandhi statue in the Parliament House complex, demanding the withdrawal of the agriculture law in support of the farmers.
Earlier on the way, the police was trying to count the farmers sitting in the bus, and on this issue, the farmers had a conflict with the police. After this, the police took all the farmers inside a resort, so that they could be counted. Sources in Delhi Police said that every farmer reaching Jantar Mantar will have an identity card, and will be allowed to go there only after checking. The United Kisan Morcha is giving this identity card to the farmers.
Sources said that the Red Fort incident on 26 January was a big lesson for Delhi Police. This was the reason why the high officials of Delhi Police were against allowing farmers to protest in Delhi. Approval in this case was not given till July 20. On the other hand, the Opposition parties stalled the work in Parliament from day one regarding Pegasus spyware.
Police have made heavy security arrangements at Jantar Mantar. Several companies of Delhi Police and paramilitary forces have been deployed there. Entire Delhi Police is on high alert. Farmers’ protest at Jantar Mantar will be held in coordination with United Kisan Morcha and Delhi Police.
The Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM), a body of farmers’ unions protesting against the agricultural laws, said that if the monsoon session of Parliament ends on 13 August, then their protest at Jantar Mantar will also continue till 13 August. However, the Lieutenant Governor has given permission for the dharna only till 9 August. This is the first time since the violence that broke out in the national capital during a tractor rally on January 26 this year that the authorities have allowed protesting farmers’ unions into the city.
According to an order issued by the Delhi Disaster Management Authority, Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal, who is also the chairman of DDMA, has given permission to organize a protest at Jantar Mantar by maximum 200 farmers every day from July 22 to August 9 from 11 am to 5 pm. “They will be brought by designated buses on designated routes under police escort and will be subjected to Covid-appropriate behavior (wearing of masks, maintaining social distancing, washing hands regularly and using sanitisers etc.) and India,” the order said. All other guidelines/instructions/SOPs issued by the Government and Government of NCT of Delhi from time to time regarding the Covid-19 pandemic shall be strictly complied with.
Adequate security arrangements will be made at Jantar Mantar, sources said. As per a DDMA order, gatherings for protests in the national capital are not currently allowed. Thousands of farmers across the country are staging a sit-in on Delhi’s borders against the three agriculture laws, claiming it will destroy the MSP system and leave them at the mercy of big corporate houses.
The government is projecting these laws as major agricultural reforms. The farmers’ unions have held more than 10 rounds of talks with the government, but they have failed to break the deadlock between the two sides. The SKM had initially proposed that the protesting farmers would hold a “Kisan Sansad” every day at Jantar Mantar, a few meters from Parliament.
After a meeting with Delhi Police officials on Tuesday, a farmer’s union leader said they would hold a peaceful protest at Jantar Mantar demanding abolition of agricultural laws and no protesters would go to Parliament. The Kisan Union leader had said, “We will organize a ‘Kisan Sansad’ from July 22 till the end of the monsoon session and 200 protesters will go to Jantar Mantar every day. A speaker and a deputy speaker will be elected every day.”
The farmer leader said, “The APMC Act will be discussed in the first two days. Later, other bills will also be discussed every two days.” The tractor parade, held on January 26 to highlight the demands of farmers’ unions to repeal three new agricultural laws, turned chaotic on the streets of the capital as thousands of protesters broke barricades, clashed with police and a religious flag was hoisted on the ramparts of the Red Fort.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Naxals using drones for recce on security forces
Nagpur: Naxals are using small drones for surveillance of security forces near the Chhattisgarh borders, said Maharashtra Police on Friday.
Speaking to ANI, Sandip Patil, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Gadchiroli said, “Naxals are using small drones for surveillance of our posts near the Chhattisgarh border. In the last 4-5 months we have reported 7-8 incidents. Considering all the possibilities we are taking anti-drone measures.” “These small drones are generally used in wedding ceremonies for photography. They use these drones to check the locations of police parties and security parties from the mountains,” said Patil.
He said considering the drone incident that happened in Jammu, the Maharshtra Police has increased the vigilance and been adopting anti-drone measures. Asked about if there is any coordination with Chattishgarh, the DIG said, “Drones were used in Chattishgarh 7-8 months back. We are working in coordination with IG Bastar and SPs and CRPF. We have made a counter-drone strategy with coordination with them.”
Patil further said that the prima facie information suggests that Naxals procured the drones from Hyderabad.
STUDENTS REACT AS CBSE DECLARES CLASS 12 BOARD EXAM RESULTS
As the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) released the much-awaited class 12 results on Friday, mixed reactions were received from students. This year, the pass percentage stands at 99.37 per cent.
Some expressed their happiness calling the decision perfect while the others felt the entire year along with their preparations was wasted. Speaking to ANI, Vanshikha Gupta, a Commerce student said, “Did not expect to get 98.4 per cent, I’m very happy. Keeping pandemic and safety of students in mind, the government took a good decision,” Vanshikha Gupta, a Commerce student.
Abhishek Chaudhary, another student from Delhi said, “Results were not what we were expecting. I was expecting over 80 per cent score but I am disappointed. I wanted to get into a government college but it seems difficult now.”
“I’m extremely happy, was not expecting to score over 90 per cent,” said Khushi, a humanities student in Ludhiana.
The exam was scheduled to be held in May but was cancelled due to a surge in Covid-19 cases. This year, the CBSE 12th results have been prepared in an alternative way as board exams could not be held this year due to a surge in COVID-19 cases.
The board had adopted an alternative assessment scheme to finalise the result.
WITH ANI INPUTS
ASSAM ISSUES ADVISORY AGAINST TRAVEL TO MIZORAM
The Assam government on Thursday issued a travel advisory asking people not to travel to Mizoram and advised people from the state working or staying there to “exercise utmost caution.”
Assam and Mizoram also traded accusations over deployment of security forces along the interstate border on Thursday, three days after both sides were locked in a fierce gun battle near the boundary that left six policemen and a civilian dead.
Amidst the ongoing border dispute between the two states Assam and Mizoram, Assam Minister Ashok Singhal on Thursday informed that Mizoram civilians are threatening the people of Assam.
While speaking to ANI, Ashok Singhal said, “In the video footage, Mizoram civilians are threatening us and they are carrying weapons too. So we have issued an advisory for the people of Assam not to visit Mizoram. If somebody still goes there, we will not take his/her responsibility.” “Provocative statements are still being issued from the other side.
Further, talks will take place with the mediation of the Union Home Ministry. We have handed over the post to neutral forces but Mizoram has still not withdrawn its personnel from post”, said Cachar Guardian Minister Singhal.
Taking stock of the situation, Assam’s Cachar Superintendent of Police, Ramandeep Kaur said, “The CRPF is manning the border. Assam police have withdrawn as per directions of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) but on Mizoram’s side, the police are still out there which is making the situation tense. Assam people should abide by directions and advisory given by the government of Assam.”
Meanwhile, Assam police also issued a notification saying that in order to check trafficking of illicit drugs, all incoming vehicles from Mizoram will be thoroughly checked at all the entry points along the Assam Mizoram border.
On July 26, the border dispute between the two states peaked and a fierce gun battle between the forces of the two states resulted in the death of five Assam police personnel and one civilian.
One injured policeman succumbed to his injuries later taking the total toll of policemen to six. At least 50 people were injured in the incident. A total of six companies of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been deployed at the site where the policemen died.
WITH AGENCY INPUTS
Malls, multiplexes may soon reopen in Maharashtra
The Maharashtra government may soon allow malls, multiplexes, restaurants and gymnasiums to reopen and operate at 50 per cent capacity while shops and other establishments may get extended hours of operations, beyond 4 pm, in 25 districts with low Covid-19 positivity rates. State Health Minister Rajesh Tope said that a formal order on easing the restrictions will be issued in the next few days.
On Thursday, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray held a meeting with the state Covid task force and senior health department officials to discuss the easing of restrictions a day after several ministers demanded relaxations in the state cabinet meeting.
Tope said on that Mumbai and 24 other districts will be in Level 2. Eleven districts, including Palghar, Raigad, Ahmednagar and Pune, which are part of MMR or share borders with it, will remain in Level 3 because of their higher test positivity rate and cases.
He also said that after the meeting that the issue would be decided by the Chief Minister regarding the resumption of the local trains.
Weekends may see some relaxations but Sunday will remain completely shut. Only fully vaccinated (2 doses) citizens will be able to travel in local trains. As of now only government employees and people involved with essential services are allowed to travel in local trains.
Cinema halls likely to be open for the public with limited capacity. Local shops, hotels, and gyms will be allowed to remain open for longer hours now.
Districts which will still see the curbs are Pune, Solapur, Sangli, Satara, Kolhapur, Palghar, Raigad, Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg, Beed, and Ahmednagar. These districts have higher positivity rates than average.
INDIA-CHINA TALKS TODAY, GOGRA, HOT SPRINGS DISENGAGEMENT ON CARDS
India and China will hold the 12th round of Corps Commander-level talks on Saturday. It will be aimed at discussing disengagement from the remaining friction points in the eastern Ladakh sector Army sources told ANI.
India and China have already disengaged from the banks of Pangong lake after extensive talks and the Gogra Heights and Hot Springs areas are left to be resolved as these friction points were created post-Chinese aggression last year. According to Army sources, the 12th round of Corps Commander level talks between India and China is scheduled to be held in Moldo on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control around 10:30 am.
“12th round of Corps Commander level talks between India and China to be held in Moldo on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control around 10:30 am. India and China expected to discuss disengagement from the Hot Springs and Gogra Heights areas,” Army sources said.
The two countries have been engaged in a military standoff for almost a year but disengaged from the most contentious Pangong lake area last month after extensive talks at both military and political levels.
The credit for the disengagement was given to all stakeholders by Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane who also talked about the country benefitting from the inputs given by the National Security Advisor Ajit Doval during the crisis.
Earlier, India and China held 11 rounds of talks at the Corps Commander level to reach the arrangement to disengage from the Pangong lake area.
With ANI inputs
IT WILL AFFECT FREEDOM OF PRESS: HC TO SHILPA SHETTY ON HER MEDIA GAG PLEA
The Bombay High Court on Friday, while hearing a defamation case filed by actress Shilpa Shetty Kundra against media outlets, said that passing a blanket gag order on the media against reporting anything against her shall impact the freedom of press, adding that there is a judicial limit on what can be construed as good or bad journalism. However, some media outlets were asked to take down a few videos and contents that were found to be defamatory by the actress.
Shilpa Shetty, wife of Raj Kundra arrested in the pornography case, on Thursday filed a defamation case against 29 media outlets.
The Bombay HC, however, directed the three videos uploaded on YouTube channels of three private persons be deleted and not uploaded again as they were malicious in nature. The court noted that the freedom of press has to be balanced with the right to privacy of an individual.
The actress, in an interim application, had sought for the media to be restrained from allegedly publishing any incorrect, false, malicious and defamatory content.
The court noted that the articles referred to by Shilpa Shetty in her suit do not seem to be defamatory. “It cannot be like if you (media) are not going to write or say anything nice about me (Shilpa Shetty) then do not say anything at all. How can this be,” it asked.
vThe court noted that most of the articles referred to in the suit, including one that claimed that “Shetty cried and fought with her husband Kundra” when he was brought to their house by the police for joint interrogation, was based on what police sources said.
Shetty had objected to news articles about the actress breaking down and confronting Raj Kundra when Mumbai Police raided their residence. Saraf said, “It was something that had happened between a husband and wife and it was private and should not have been reported.” To this, the court said that the act of Shetty happened in front of outsiders (policemen) and it was reported from “crime branch sources. Also, the act of crying was not defamatory but it shows that she’s a human”.
The HC also said that the media just can’t sing praises and that Shetty is a public figure and that such articles are not defamatory. “You (Shetty) chose a life in public life. Your life is under a microscope. It cannot be that if the media is not going to say anything nice about her (Shetty) then they will be asked to say nothing at all.”
Opinion10 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports1 year ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News1 year ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking12 months ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
News1 year ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports1 year ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
Legally Speaking1 year ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
Royally Speaking11 months ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur