Nishi Singh, a Dubai-based Kathak exponent, choreographer and social media influencer is hosting an online Dance Festival named ‘Bhaktimay Rouhani Majlis’. The month-long festival which started on 14. Jan.2021, has featured various renowned names and Sangeet Natak Akademi awardees in the field of Kathak dance. “In this age of pandemic and social distancing, the artists all over the world are suffering due to lack of stage opportunities and audience.
This festival not only provides a great platform for senior artists to showcase their art, but also to connect with a worldwide audience.” says Nishi Singh. Nishi Singh who is also Narayan Reiki practitioner has in this festival highlighted the aspect of ‘Bhakti Ras’ (divinity) in dance. The festival has been appreciated and applauded by her guru Smt Rajeshwari Modi and the likes of Padma Vibhushan Pt. Birju Maharaj and Pt. Rajendra Gangani via video bytes. “The festival is promoting Indian art and culture and connecting artists all over the world through dance and music, with a message of positivity, friendship, peace and harmony” said RJ Siddharth Singh of AIR who is anchoring the event.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Tripura royal scion breaks down in tears during public address over non-participation of IPFT in ‘Greater Tipraland’
Sepahijala (Tripura) [India], March 6 (ANI): Tripura royal scion and former Congress president Pradyot Kishore Deb Barman on Friday broke down in tears as he addressed a gathering and said that he felt like being stabbed from behind following non-participation of the Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura (IPFT) in the rally.
He said that he feared that if the Tiprasa communities are not united and remain fragmented as it has been since Tripura merged with India more than 70 years back, then the very existence of the community would be threatened.
Speaking to ANI, Deb Barman said “He is hopeful that IPFT will go by the agreement signed with him and earlier in the morning he had a telephonic discussion with the party’s president N C Debbarma and hopefully they will respond in a positive manner.”
However, the Indigenous Progressive Regional Alliance (TIPRA) chief said that he had no discussion with the BJP and if there was to be any discussion then the invitation should come from Delhi directly as there is no use talking with the local BJP leadership who are only interested in seat-sharing for the forthcoming TTAADC election. He said that he considered his call of ‘Greater Tipraland’ as being a much bigger matter.
Meantime, Bijoy Kumar Hrangkhawl, INPT president said that he is hopeful that most of the regional parties will come together and fight the Autonomous District Council (ADC) election together so that more funds could be allotted from the government of India and for the development of the ADC areas.
Hrangkhawl, a former rebel turned MLA added that he along with the royal scion had met the IPFT president N C Debbarma and for the greater cause of coming to power in ADC, he is even ready to sacrifice seats in the coming district council vote but all of a sudden the INPT leaders have changed their mind and so they are helpless.
The political dynamics of the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC) election here is constantly taking new twists as allies between the political parties are changing regularly.
Friday saw a new twist with ruling BJP ally IPFT which has stitched alliance with newly formed TIPRA party of the Tripura royal scion Pradyot Kishore Deb Barman but was missing from the mass gathering at Bishramgan which called for ‘Greater Tipraland’ demand.
On the contrary, once Congress ally INPT president Bijoy Kumar Hrangkhawl was found accompanying Deb Barman who sometime back resigned as the Congress party chief of Tripura and had called for a major alliance of the Tiprasa community in his protest against the national parties. (ANI)
Night curfew in Jalandhar from Saturday amid surge in COVID-19 cases
Jalandhar (Punjab) [India], March 6 (ANI): Night curfew will be in place from Saturday 11 pm to 5 am until further notice in Punjab’s Jalandhar district following the continuous surge in the COVID-19 cases.
“Observing the hike in the COVID-19 cases in Jalandhar district, night curfew has been imposed from 11 pm to 5 am from March 6 and will be applicable till further notice,” read a notice issued by the office of Jalandhar District Magistrate Ghanshyam Thori on Saturday.
Curfew has been imposed under Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) 1973 and the National Disaster Management Act, 2005.
According to the union health ministry’s update on Saturday morning, Punjab had 6,661 active cases. As many as 5,898 people have so far lost their lives to COVID-19 in the state.
The central government has, meanwhile, rushed high-level multi-disciplinary public health teams to Maharashtra and Punjab in view of the increase in the number of daily new COVID-19 cases being consistently reported by these states.
The teams will visit the hotspot areas in the states and ascertain the reasons for the surge. They will also brief the Chief Secretary and Secretary (H) on their observations and remedial measures to be undertaken by the state health authorities. (ANI)
Vizag steel plant privatisation row: CM has offered better solutions, says Vijayasai Reddy
Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) [India], March 6 (ANI): Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jaganmohan Reddy has shown alternate ways besides privatisation that will yield profits, said YSRCP MP Vijayasai Reddy following the state-wide bandh at the Maddilapalem Junction in Visakhapatnam against the Centre’s decision to privatise the Visakhapatnam Steel Plant.
At the protest which was held on Friday, Reddy also hit out at the Telugu Desam Party (TDP), who have also expressed opposition against the same and participated in the bandh.
“The state government is directly fighting the steel plant privatisation and Chief Minister Jaganmohan Reddy has shown alternative ways. If they are practised, profits will come. The YSRCP opposes the decision to privatise the steel plant,” he said.
“(TDP chief) Chandrababu responded 10 days after the chief minister wrote a letter. TDP means ‘Drama Party’. Naidu and his son Nara Lokesh are playing games on the steel plant issue. Resignations are useless. We will continue to fight this decision,” the YSRCP leader added, referring to TDP MLA Ganta Srinivasa Rao’s resignation from his post in protest against the Centre’s move earlier last month.
The YSRCP leader also formed a human chain in protest against the Centre’s move to privatise the steel plant.
Nearly all political parties and other organisations in the state, except the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), participated in the state-wide bandh observed peacefully on Friday against the central government’s decision to privatise the Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited (RINL) Visakhapatnam, popularly known as Visakhapatnam Steel Plant (VSP). (ANI)
Mukesh Sahni accepted mistake of sending brother for govt’s event: Bihar CM
Patna (Bihar) [India], March 6 (ANI): A day after Bihar Minister Mukesh Sahni deputed his brother as his “representative” to a government function, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday said that Sahni has accepted his mistake and promised not to repeat it.
While speaking to the media, Kumar said, “Sometimes, a person doesn’t have info about everything. It was explained to him. He realised and agreed that it was a mistake. It is not right if a family or party member attends it officially instead of the minister. I talked to Mukesh Sahni and he said that he did not do it intentionally, he had no idea of its effect.”
“Party supporters, well-wishers of a minister can go to any event. But no one can represent a minister officially during an event,” he added.
Kumar also thanked the Opposition for bringing the incident to his notice, however, he said, “But the issue needs not to be extended further as the Minister has apologised and promised not to repeat it.”
Bihar Animal Husbandry and Fisheries Minister Mukesh Sahni’s brother Santosh Sahni participated in a government program and handed over the keys of vehicles to beneficiaries on Friday.
A vehicle distribution event was organised for fishermen belonging to scheduled castes and extremely backward castes under a fishery marketing scheme by the Department of Animal and Fisheries Resources at Akshayavat Rai Stadium in Hajipur of Vaishali district.
The banner at the venue had the name of the department’s minister Mukesh Sahni as the inaugurator, but the minister did not arrive, instead, his brother Santosh Sahni attended the event.
He not only inaugurated the event amidst the presence of government officials but also distributed vehicles among the beneficiaries. When reporters asked him about Mukesh Sahni, he said that due to the busy schedule, the minister could not attend the event. (ANI)
Narendra Singh Tomar receives first dose of COVID-19 vaccine in Delhi
New Delhi [India], March 6 (ANI): Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar was administered the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at Ram Manohar Lohia hospital here on Saturday.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Narendra Modi received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Delhi and appealed to all those who are eligible to get inoculated.
Several other union ministers, including Amit Shah, S Jaishakar, Jitendra Singh and politicians have also received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine in the second phase of the world’s largest vaccination drive.
The countrywide vaccination drive was rolled out on January 16, 2021, and the vaccination of the Frontline Workers (FLWs) started on February 2. The next phase of COVID-19 vaccination commenced on March 1 for those who are over 60 years of age and for people aged 45 and above with specified co-morbid conditions.
As of Friday, the total cases in the national capital have mounted to 640,494 including 1,779 active cases and 6,27,797 total recoveries.
As many as 18,327 new COVID-19 cases and 108 deaths were reported in India in the last 24 hours, the Union Health Ministry informed on Saturday.
The country’s overall COVID-19 cases tally has reached 1,11,92,088, including 1,80,304 active cases while the death toll has mounted to 1,57,656.
According to the health ministry, a total of 1,94,97,704 people have been vaccinated against coronavirus so far. (ANI)
COVID-19: Delhi HC directs 3,499 undertrial prisoners to surrender before expiry of interim bail
New Delhi [India], March 6 (ANI): The Delhi High Court has directed all the 3,499 Under Trial Prisoners (UTPs) who were granted interim bails amid COVID-19 under the various criteria laid down by the High Powered Committee (HPC), shall surrender before the concerned Jail Superintendent upon the expiry of the period of their interim bail commencing from March 7.
The order also applies to the UTPs who have not obtained regular bails from their Court concerned, or any other superior court to its court concerned.
“As the 3499 UTPs were admitted to interim bails on different dates, accordingly the period of their interim bails will expire with efflux of time on different dates. Therefore, there is no requirement to fix any specific date for the surrender of these 3499 UTPs,” the court said.
A Division Bench of Justices Siddharth Mridul and Talwant Singh said that it is “not inclined” to further extend the period of interim bail of 3,499 UTPs granted under various criteria laid down by the High Powered Committee in its several meetings.
“Needless to say that all these UTPs may invoke the jurisdiction of the concerned Court for grant of regular bail. The concerned Courts on the filing of applications by such UTPs may consider the same on merits, in accordance with the law,” Court said.
The court said that the Director General (Prisons) shall ensure that this order is conveyed to all the 3499 UTPs by telephone, as well as, through all other available modes. Kanwal Jeet Arora, Member Secretary, DSLSA shall coordinate with the Director General (Prisons) in this regard.
The court order came after taking note of recommendations made by the High Powered Committee.
The committee has taken note of the improved situation with respect to COVID-19 in the Delhi NCR Region as compared to the one which existed last year.
This committee was constituted by the Supreme Court owing to unprecedented circumstances created due to the COVID-19 pandemic, resulting into lockdown and restricted functioning of the Courts, and for decongesting the jails, so that the principle of social distancing can be followed and spread of COVID-19 can be prevented inside the prisons.
Members of the Committee also reminded themselves that the subsequent order dated April 13, 2020 of Supreme Court, whereby it has clarified that it has not directed the States to compulsorily release the prisoners.
The Members of the High Powered Committee while making the observations and recommendations had taken stock of COVID-19 situation inside the jail premises and they had also gone through the Delhi State Health Bulletin on Covid-19 of last 3 weeks so as to assess the current situation of COVID-19 in Delhi NCR.
The High Court has also taken note of direction passed by the Supreme Court dated March 1, 2021, whereby 2318 prisoners granted interim bails by trial courts and 356 prisoners granted bail by the High Court have been asked to surrender within 15 days.
The Delhi High Court on March 25, 2020, took suo moto notice of outbreak of COVID-19 and ordered that all matters pending before this court and courts subordinate to this court, wherein such interim orders issued were subsisting as on March 16, 2020 and expired or will expire thereafter, the same shall stand automatically extended till May 15 or until further orders.
Since the lockdown was extended from time to time by the government with few relaxations and the restrictive functioning of the Courts continued, so the order dated March 25, 2020 was extended from time to time on 15th May, 2020, 15th June, 2020, 13th July, 2020, 31st August, 2020 and lastly vide order dated 24th August 2020, the interim orders were extended till 31st October, 2020. (ANI)
Opinion5 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports8 months ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News10 months ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
News9 months ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports8 months ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
News7 months ago
Things don’t add up in Sushant’s suicide: Swamy
Defence8 months ago
GALWAN: CHINA’S INFORMATION WAR
Defence6 months ago
Sino-Indian logjam: Facts, risks, options and the sum of all fears