Bus carrying 39 ITBP personnel falls into riverbed in Pahalgam, rescue teams rushed - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

Bus carrying 39 ITBP personnel falls into riverbed in Pahalgam, rescue teams rushed

Published

on

ITBP Bus accident
Picture Credits: Jagran English

A major accident happened where an Indo-Tibetan-Border Police (ITBP) bus fell into a deep roadside river bed. Reportedly so far six soldiers have been martyred .

The bus carrying 37 ITBP personnel and two J-K Police was on its way from Chandanwari to Pahalgam. This information has been given by ITBP.

Meanwhile, the cause of the accident is said to be the brake failure of the bus. According to the police, six ITBP personnel have been martyred. The injured were rushed to Anantnag district hospital. The identity of the injured has not been disclosed yet.

“We are in touch with locals administration and teams and disaster management have been rushed to the site for the rescue operation,” the officials said.

Moreover, ITBP commandos have been sent to the spot so that the rescue operation can be done expeditiously. All the jawans going by bus were on duty for Amarnath Yatra and were coming back to Pahalgam. About 20 ambulances are engaged in rescue work on the spot.

Earlier on 29 June, the Amarnath Yatra began amid tight security arrangements made by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).

However, further details about the incident are awaited.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News

Permanent UN seat India’s top priority, says Jaishankar

Published

on

Permanent UN seat India’s top priority, says Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Thursday said that a permanent seat, as well as reforms of the UN Security Council, remains India’s main priority. He asserted that India voices the interest and aspirations of a broad set of countries and added that the contemporary global issues cannot be solved by few countries only. 

Jaishankar was addressing Auckland Community business. He said, “There is a widespread acceptance that the problems of today cannot be solved by one, two or even five of the countries in the United Nations Security Council. When we look at the reforms at the United Nations Security Council, we have an interest in becoming a permanent member of the security council.” 

Currently, United Nations Security Council, also known as the Permanent Five or P5, are China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States and India has been reiterating its bid for a permanent seat at the UN Security Council. 

Over the multilateral Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) grouping, External Affairs Minister Jaishankar reiterated that not joining RCEP was the “right decision.” 

During Jaishankar’s address to Auckland Community business, he noted, “When it came to the RCEP, we took a decision in 2019 not to proceed in joining the RCEP. We weigh the pros and cons. We did an evaluation and many of the critical issues were not addressed in the final outcome.” 

He continued saying, “India went back to the other 15 countries and shared some of its anxieties with them but they collectively took the view that they had gone as far as they could. So we decided that it was not in our interest.”

India joined the 15-nation ‘Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) negotiations in 2012. In 2019, 15 nations, including China, Japan, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand among others, signed the free trade agreement. However, India walked out of the negotiations, citing national interests.
Jaishankar also said that the entire world is suffering from the Russia-Ukraine war and mentioned the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan as also a big issue. 

Continue Reading

News

Govt begins probe after who links deaths in gambia to india-made syrup

Published

on

Govt begins probe after who links deaths in gambia to india-made syrup

The Union government has started an investigation into four cough syrups manufactured by a Haryana-based pharmaceutical firm after the World Health Organization (WHO) warned that they could be linked to the deaths of 66 children in Gambia.

At the same time, the government on Thursday activated National Regulatory Authority, CDSCO who requested the World Health Organization (WHO) to share the report on the establishment of “causal relation to death” with the syrups manufactured by a Haryana-based company, Maiden Pharmaceutical Limited.  

This comes after the World Health Organization (WHO) issued an alert on four India-made cough and cold syrups used for paediatric groups. Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) took up an urgent investigation in this regard. WHO informed that the certificate of analysis will be made available to WHO in near future and it will be shared with the Indian Regulator which is yet to be done. The exact one-to-one causal relation of death has not yet been provided by WHO to CDSCO. 

“As a robust National Regulatory Authority, CDSCO has requested WHO to share at the earliest with CDSCO the report on the establishment of causal relation to death with the medical products in question etc.,” it added. 

CDSCO said that Maiden Pharmaceutical Limited holds manufacturing permission for the products Promethazine Oral Solution BP, Kofexnalin Baby Cough Syrup, MaKoff Baby Cough Syrup and MaGrip n Cold Syrup for “export only.” 

“From the preliminary enquiry of CDSCO, it has been made out that Maiden Pharmaceutical Limited, Sonepat, Haryana is a manufacturer licensed by the State Drug Controller for the products Promethazine Oral Solution BP, Kofexnalin Baby Cough Syrup, MaKoff Baby Cough Syrup and MaGrip n Cold Syrup under reference, and holds manufacturing permission for these products for export only. The company has manufactured and exported these products only to The Gambia,” the press release said. 

The State Drug Controller had given licenses to the said Company only for exporting these four drugs namely Promethazine Oral Solution BP, Kofexnalin Baby Cough Syrup, MaKoff Baby Cough Syrup and MaGrip n Cold Syrup. 

Further, all these 4 drugs manufactured only for exports by Maiden Pharmaceuticals Limited are not licensed for manufacture and sale in India. In effect, none of these four drugs of Maiden Pharmaceuticals is sold domestically in India, it added.
WHO on September 29 informed DCGI, the National Drug Regulator of India, that WHO is currently providing technical assistance and advice to The Gambia, where children have died. 

World Health Organization expressed that a contributing factor is suspected to be the use of medicines which may have been contaminated with Diethylene glycol or Ethylene glycol (in some of the samples it was claimed to have been confirmed by further analysis conducted by WHO), the press release added. 

CDSCO took up the matter immediately with the Haryana State Regulatory Authority, under whose jurisdiction the drug manufacturing unit of Maiden Pharmaceutical Limited, Sonepat is located. 

Further, a detailed investigation was also launched to ascertain the facts/ details in the matter in collaboration with State Drugs Controller, Haryana. 

It is a usual practice that the importing country tests these imported products on quality parameters, and satisfies itself as to the quality of the products before the importing country decides to release such products for usage in the country. As per the tentative results received by WHO, out of the 23 samples of the products under reference which were tested, 4 samples have been found to contain Diethylene Glycol/ Ethylene Glycol. 

The samples (controlled samples of the same batch manufactured by Maiden Pharmaceuticals Limited for all four drugs in question) have been taken and sent for testing to Regional Drug Testing Lab, Chandigarh by CDSCO, the results of which will guide a further course of action as well as bring clarity on the inputs received from WHO. 

More reports on page 5

Continue Reading

News

India abstains from voting in UN on rights issue in Xinjiang

Published

on

India abstains from voting in UN on rights issue in Xinjiang

India on Thursday abstained from voting on a United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) resolution on holding a debate on the human rights situation in China’s Xinjiang. 

The draft resolution on “holding a debate on the situation of human rights in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of China” was rejected in the 47-member Council after 17 members voted in favour, 19 members voted against, including China, and 11 abstentions, including India, Brazil, Mexico and Ukraine. 

Continue Reading

News

Indian student in US killed in campus, roommate arrested

Published

on

Arrested

A 20-year-old Indian-origin student Varun Manish Chheda was allegedly killed by his roommate in his dormitory in the US state of Indiana. The student was found with “multiple sharp force traumatic injuries” at a residence hall on the Indiana campus.  The 22-year-old Korean roommate was taken into custody, according to media reports.

Chheda from Indianapolis, who was studying at Purdue University, was found dead in McCutcheon Hall on the western edge of campus. 

Chheda was a 2020 graduate of Park Tudor, as per the Fox59, a tv station.
Meanwhile, one of his closest friends remembering Chheda said that he will be remembered as a kind, intelligent and passionate person, as per the tv station. A vigil was also scheduled for him. 

Chheda’s roommate, a 22-year-old Ji Min “Jimmy” Sha, from Korea is now in police custody and is the prime suspect in the case. Sha is a junior cybersecurity major and international student from Korea.

At 12:45 am on Wednesday Sha called 911 to alert police about the death, Purdue University Police Chief Lesley Wiete said during a news conference on Wednesday morning, reported NBC. 

No further details of the call and how the victim died in his room on the first floor of McCutcheon Hall were disclosed. In fact, the death of the student has left a number of questions unanswered behind as the preliminary autopsy results say that the manner of death was a homicide, while a section of the people called it a murder. 

The police is treating the death as a homicide case. The chief and the Tippecanoe County Coroner Office identified the deceased as Varun Manish Chheda, a 20-year-old senior from Indianapolis who was studying data science. 

An autopsy is scheduled for later in the day. Purdue University Police Chief Wiete said that the suspect has been taken into custody and transported to the police station for further investigation. 

According to the Police Chief, the suspect has not been booked yet. She said that at the time of 911 call, only Chheda and Sha were in the room at the time. “I believe this was unprovoked and senseless,” she said, noting neither roommate was asleep when the Purdue President Mitch Daniels called the news “as tragic an event as we can imagine happening on our campus and our hearts and thoughts go out to all of those affected by this terrible event.” 

According to its website, Purdue has about 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students enrolled for the fall semester incident. 

“I write to let you know that early this morning, one of our students was killed in his residence hall room. The suspect, the victim’s roommate, called police to report the incident and is in custody,” a message from the University’s President read. We do not have all the details yet, he added and said that Purdue University Police Department is conducting a thorough investigation of this incident so that they can learn more about what transpired. 

“As is always the case, staff from our Office of the Dean of Students, our Residence Halls, and clinicians at Purdue’s Counseling and Psychological Services are providing support and are available to anyone who needs or wants their care,” the message added. 

Purdue’s president assured that the safety and security of students is the single highest priority on the campus. “Purdue is an extraordinarily safe place on any given day, and compared with cities of Purdue’s population (approximately 60,000 in all), we experience a tiny fraction of violent and property crime that occurs elsewhere.” 

“Such statistics are of no consolation on a day like this. A death on our campus and among our Purdue family affects each of us deeply. I am ever grateful to all of you who continually take the time to care for each other and know you will do so in the days ahead,” it added. 

Continue Reading

News

4 kidnapped Indian family found dead in California

Published

on

4 kidnapped Indian family found dead in California

An eight-month-old baby girl along with her Indian-origin parents and uncle living in the US, who were abducted at gunpoint earlier this week in California were found dead in an orchard in the US state, police said. 

Bodies of four members of the family, who originally hail from Punjab were discovered lying close to each other, by a farm worker in a remote orchard in Merced county, Sheriff Vern Warnke said on Wednesday. 

“Tonight our worse fears have been confirmed,” the Sheriff said addressing a press conference. “We found four people from the kidnapping. They are in fact deceased,” Sheriff Vern Warnke said.

“The family (of the victim) have been notified. We have made arrangements through other contacts to try and get them,” he said. The police will process the scene of crime to determine the motive for the killings, he said. 

The family, according to authorities were taken by a convicted robber who tried to kill himself a day after the kidnappings.

The Sheriff described it as a “horribly senseless” act and said that the police did not know the “motivation yet.” 

“We have a whole family wiped out and for what? We don’t know yet,” he said.
36-year-old Jasdeep Singh, 27-year-old Jasleen Kaur, their eight-month-old child Aroohi Dheri, along with 39-year-old Amandeep Singh were abducted, police said.
The news of the missing family was reported on Monday after local authorities found the missing victim’s truck on fire in a rural area outside the Merced Country. 

A surveillance video that was released by the Twitter handle of the Merced County Sheriff’s office showed the suspect leading Jasdeep Singh who was carrying baby Aroohi in her arms into a truck and driving away. 

California fire officials discovered Amandeep Singh’s truck ablaze in a rural area outside Merced. 

“..received information that one of the victim’s ATM cards was used at an ATM located at a bank in the City of Atwater. Investigators obtained the surveillance photo of a subject making a bank transaction where the person is similar in appearance to the surveillance photo from the original kidnapping scene,” the Merced County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. 

Continue Reading

News

Mass shooting in Thailand kills 36, including 23 children

The killer of the massacre is an ex-cop who launches a frontal attack on a child care centre.

Published

on

Mass shooting in Thailand kills 36, including 23 children

A

t least 36 people, including 23 children, were killed in a mass shooting at a nursery in northeast Thailand, local media reported on Thursday. The attacker was identified as Panya Kamrab, a 34-year-old former policeman who killed himself immediately after the attack. The brutal incident took place at the Child Development Center in Nong Bua Lamphu province’s Uthaisawan Na Klang district.  

According to local police officials, the attacker was involved in an ongoing court case for allegedly selling drugs and had killed his wife and his stepson before taking his own life. 

The region where the massacre took place is located approximately 540 kilometres (around 335 miles) northeast of Bangkok and is a peaceful area, not known for violence, CNN reported citing the officials. 

The suspect had appeared in court in Nong Bua Lamphu province hours before “opening fire while the kids were sleeping,” according to Maj. Gen. Jirapob Puridet of the CIB. The former officer was dismissed from duty and “charged with selling narcotics” last year, Puridet told CNN.

His 2-year-old stepson was enrolled at the center he attacked Thursday, but was not present while the attack was carried out,  according to a local police chief.

“(The shooter) went to look for his two-year-old son, but the boy was not there … so he started shooting as well as stabbing people at the nursery,” police spokesperson Maj. General Paisan Luesomboon told CNN.

One of the center’s teachers described a horrific scene to local media, explaining that the attacker entered the center around noon, while two other staff members were having lunch.

“I suddenly heard the sound just sounded like fire crackers. So I looked back [and] the two staffs just collapsed on the floor,” the teacher said.

“Then he pulled another gun from his waist…I didn’t expect he would also kill the kids,” they said.

Earlier, the prime minister’s office had urged all the securities officials to catch the culprit. In a statement it said, “The prime minister has expressed his condolences on the shooting incident.”

Mass shootings in the country are rare but in 2020  an incident saw a soldier killing 29 people in a shooting spree that began at a military site and then sent shoppers hunting for cover after the gunman entered a mall, reported CNN. 

However, the rate of gun ownership is high compared with some other countries in the region, and illegal weapons are common.

The incident sparked international condemnation.

In a statement, UNICEF said it was “shocked” by the tragedy and sent its condolences to the families affected. It condemned the attack, saying: “No child should be a target or witness of violence anywhere, anytime,” adding, “Early childhood development centers, schools and all learning spaces must be safe havens for young children to learn, play and grow during their most critical years.” 

UK Prime Minister Liz Truss said in a tweet that she was “shocked to hear of the horrific events,” and said that her “thoughts are with all those affected and the first responders.”

“The UK stands with the Thai people at this terrible time,” she said.

Continue Reading

Trending