BARGE P305 TRAGEDY: 49 BODIES FOUND, ONGC AND AFCONS EVADE RESPONSIBILITY - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

BARGE P305 TRAGEDY: 49 BODIES FOUND, ONGC AND AFCONS EVADE RESPONSIBILITY

BARGE P305 TRAGEDY: 49 BODIES FOUND, ONGC AND AFCONS EVADE RESPONSIBILITY

Published

on

MUMBAI: The death toll due to the mid-sea mishap at Oil and Natural Gas Corporation’s (ONGC) accommodation barge “Papaa-305” (P305) in Bombay High touched 37 on Thursday, while the search for around 38 missing people is still on. 188 survivors (including two of tugboat Varaprada) and the mortal remains of 49 crew members of P305 have been recovered so far. INS Beas at Mumbai was disembarking the mortal remains. Ships and aircraft continue to search for the remaining crew.

22 ADR has been filed in Yellow Gate police station as the police received 22 dead bodies by the naval team. 11 bodies have been identified whereas 11 are still unidentified. The post-mortem of these bodies are being done in J. J. Hospital, Mumbai. Deceased Vishal Katdhare’s (35) dead body has been handed over to his family. The body of Rakesh Kumar Thakur (28) from Darbhanga, Bihar is still missing. His sister and brother-in-law have reached Mumbai to find his body.

“Most of the bodies were identified by the rescued people… In addition to the 22 dead bodies we are expecting 24 more bodies by Thursday night. Statements of more than 120 people have been recorded. Afcons Infrastructure authorities were called by the police to provide more details as they are not cooperating with the police for providing details of their personnel,” said Suhas Hemade, senior police officer.

Afcons in their statement denied taking the responsibility of people. “Afcon had hired this vessel from M/S Durmast Enterprises Ltd. We had given some kind of subcontract as a contract, in such a situation, the responsibility of the barge security also lies on the owner of the barge that the safety and safety of those on the barge is to be taken care of. There was also a workman and supervisor of Afcons who was involved in construction work on the barge.”

Meanwhile, according to a source at ONGC, the cyclone had changed its path, in addition to unprecedented wind speed due to unexpected low pressure, despite ONGC taking all the safety measures.

On Thursday, The India Meteorological Department (IMD) rejected claims that the cyclone had changed its path.

According to rescue workers, hopes are running out with each passing hour as it will be difficult for someone to sustain without food or water mid-sea in such extreme weather conditions.

“My husband works as the Chief Officer on Glory Ship Management item Varapradha. I spoke to him two days ago and now his phone is off. The company is not giving any response nor telling the crew who were on top of the ship. I am not aware of my husband’s whereabouts. I ask for help from Coast Guard and Navy to find my husband soon,” said Rajni Singh, wife of Hitendra Vikram Singh, the missing Chief Officer of the Varapradha tugboat.

A total of 13 people were missing from Varapradha, of whom only two have been rescued.

In the early hours of May 17, Cyclone Tauktae hit the Arabian Sea off the coast of Mumbai, where ONGC’s major production installations and drilling rigs are located. Leading to one of the largest mid-sea rescue operations by the Indian Navy and Coast Guard, ONGC’s barge P305 sank in the sea nearly 35 nautical miles off the Mumbai coast after water gushed into it.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News

“There is no confirmation of any terror angle”, says Deputy CM Devendra Fadnavis

Published

on

Devendra Fadnavis

Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Thursday said there is “no confirmation of any terror angle” on a mysterious boat loaded with weapons.

“There is no confirmation of any terror angle. The boat has just drifted here. We are not ruling out anything, investigating all aspects. Police have been asked to be on high alert,” Fadnavis said.

A suspicious boat with three AK-47 rifles, bullets, and other weapons has been found near Harihareshwar beach in Raigad.

“Some details cannot be revealed as it may spread an atmosphere of fear. No possibilities of any consequences would be taken lightly,” Fadnavis said.

Ahead of the Dahi Handi festival in the state Deputy CM has instructed police and administration to be prepared.

“The boat belongs to an Australian citizen. The boat’s engine broke out in the sea, people were rescued by a Korean boat. It has now reached Harihareshwar beach. Keeping in mind the coming festive season, police and administration have been instructed to be prepared,” Fadnavis said.

Moreover, the presence of the boat raised alarm bells as on 26 November 2008 terrorists attacked the city and entered by sea route.

“ATS is also working on it. The additional force will also be deployed if necessary. All the precautions needed to be taken as per the norms of abundant caution,” Fadnavis said.

However, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) was rushed to the spot and more details are awaited.

Continue Reading

News

35-year-old women died after being set on fire by kin

Published

on

Burnt women

The 35-year-old school teacher who was set on fire by her family over a money dispute died at the SMS Hospital, according to the police.

Manish Agrawal, the Superintendent of Police (SP) for Jaipur Rural, reported that the deceased was identified as Anita. On August 10, when she demanded that her relatives pay back the money they had borrowed from her, the private school teacher in her hamlet in the Raisar Police Station area, around 80 kilometres from the state capital Jaipur, was set on fire.

“The accused poured inflammable material on the woman and set her ablaze in her village on August 10,” Additional SP Dharmendra Yadav said.

Anita was initially transferred to the government hospital in Jamrao Ramgarh, where she was treated before being sent on to Jaipur, where she passed away seven days later. According to her relatives, the police were working along with the accused and neglected to intervene when it was needed, which caused her death.

Police, however, said that as soon as they learned about the event, they rushed to the scene and admitted Anita to the hospital.

Continue Reading

News

Suspicious boat loaded with weapons including AK-47 found near Harihareshwar beach

Published

on

Weapons

A suspicious boat with three AK-47 rifles, bullets, and other weapons has been found near Harihareshwar beach in Raigad.

Meanwhile, the police said the boat had come to the Raigad coast while floating. Officials said the weapons were found in the boat but no person was present in the boat. Security has been tightened in the surrounding areas and police are on high alert.

Raigad MLA Aditi Tatkare said that she has requested the Chief Minister of Maharashtra to conduct a special inquiry into the incident. Tatkare also said that the incident is a major security threat.

“The Local Police are probing the matter and I have demanded the Chief Minister and Deputy CM to urgently appoint a special team of ATS or State Agency to look into the matter,” Takare said.

Moreover, the presence of the boat raised alarm bells as on 26 November 2008 terrorists attacked the city and entered by sea route.

“The Coast guard and Maharashtra Maritime Board have been informed and investigations are underway,” police said.

However, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) was rushed to the spot and more details are awaited.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

Raju Srivastav’s health deteriorating, still on ventilator

Published

on

Raju Srivastava

The condition of comedian Raju Srivastava, who is still unconscious and on life support in the ICU, is reportedly critical.

Raju Srivastava’s condition has got worse, according to the doctors, and he is still in a serious condition.

He was stated to be reacting well, showing a modest improvement in his health, and showing some signs of being able to move his bodily parts.

On August 10, the 58-year-old well-known comedian underwent a cardiac arrest and was subsequently admitted to the AIIMS in Delhi.

According to reports, he was complaining of chest problems while running on the treadmill. On the same day, he had also had an anangioplast.

On Friday, Raju Srivastava’s family released a statement claiming that he is in stable condition and pleading with his followers to disregard rumours and false information concerning his health.

Continue Reading

News

Sadhu found dead in Rajasthan’s Hanumangarh, probe initiated

Published

on

Sadhu killed

A sadhu in Bhakhrawali village of Rajasthan’s Hanumangarh was found murdered in his house on Wednesday.

On the morning of 17 August, the villagers spotted the body of the sadhu outside his hut.

The deceased sadhu has been identified as Chetan Das and police found injury marks on it.

Meanwhile, the reason behind the murder is yet to be ascertained. Moreover, the police are investigating the matter.

“Some unknown people had attacked the saint. As per the villagers, he hailed from Punjab and they used to serve him food at his hut,” said the police mentioning that he seemed to have had good relations with everyone in the village.

According to the Sangaria Police, the sadhu had been living in the village for the last 25 years. Earlier on Wednesday, the body of the sadhu was found lying in the pool of blood.

“Mourning the death of the saint Chetan Das, the villagers have demanded the arrest of the persons involved in his killing. His body has been sent to a mortuary of Sangaria Hospital,” the police said.

Moreover, after receiving information about the incident Deputy Superintendent of Sangarai Police Prateek Mile reached the spot.

However, a probe has been investigated and sadhu’s nephew Ravi Shankar Sharma has lodged a case in the police station.

Continue Reading

News

Sisodia questions centre, ‘who decided the resettlement of Rohingyas?’

Published

on

Manish Sisodia

Manish Sisodia, the deputy chief minister of Delhi, stated on Thursday that he has written to Union home minister Amit Shah requesting clarification of the Center’s position over the relocation of Rohingya Muslims to EWS flats in the capital.

SiSodia sought clarification on who decided the resettlement of Rohingyas if it wasn’t either the central or the Delhi government. “We didn’t decide to Centre also says it didn’t. Then, who took the decision?” Sisodia said while addressing a press conference.

He further demanded Shah conduct an investigation. He added, “Shah should launch an investigation to find out whose orders it was to move Muslim Rohingya refugees into flats.”

He added that neither Arvind Kejriwal, the chief minister of Delhi, nor Sisodia, who himself is the home minister , were aware of the plan, which was first tweeted by the Union’s housing minister, Hardeep Singh Puri, and later rejected by the Centre.

“We got to know through newspapers that a scheme to provide flats to Rohingyas is going on. I asked the officers nd got to know some meetings did take place where Central government officers were present,” Sisodia further said.

“When I asked for details of the meeting, I saw that it was mentioned in the files that for the approval by the Central Govt, it was being directly sent through the chief secretary to the LG. It was completely hidden from the elected government of Delhi. why this conspiracy?” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending