The Amarnath Yatra, partially suspended after a cloudburst incident near the holy cave, resumed on Monday morning. The new batch of Amarnath pilgrims has left the Jammu base camp.
The pilgrims said we were full of energy and would not return without Baba’s ‘darshan’. We fully believe in Lord Shiva and are waiting for Baba’s darshan. We are glad that the journey has started again. The CRPF and other personnel have guided us to move forward safely.
On Friday, 16 people were killed, and at least three dozen people were missing in flash floods triggered by a cloudburst near the Amarnath cave. The Indian Air Force deployed 2 ALH Dhruv and Mi-17 V5 helicopters for the rescue operation. An additional 34 injured pilgrims were evacuated on Monday by Mi-17 V5 and Cheetal helicopters of the Indian Air Force. Indian Air Force helicopters also airlifted 20 NDRF personnel and six dogs to search for the missing people trapped under the rubble.
Moreover, on July 9, Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha visited the Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) Srinagar to enquire about the injured pilgrim’s health. Taking to Twitter, Sinha said, “Met the doctors treating the injured and impressed for all possible treatment for their speedy recovery.”
However, SASB officials said 35 pilgrims had been discharged after treatment, and 17 people are undergoing treatment and are likely to be released tonight. All are safe and sound. However, the seriously injured patients were taken to Srinagar. “The seriously injured were taken to Srinagar. We are taking all precautionary measures.”
Notably, on Friday, the Amarnath yatra was temporarily postponed until further notice. According to Jammu and Kashmir Police 41 are missing, out of which some have been rescued.