WI vs SL, 1st Test: Cornwall's fifty helps hosts gain 99-run lead on day 2 - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

Sports

WI vs SL, 1st Test: Cornwall’s fifty helps hosts gain 99-run lead on day 2

Published

on

Antigua [Antigua and Barbuda], March 23 (ANI): West Indies’ Rahkeem Cornwall’s maiden Test half-century helped his team gain a 99-run lead against Sri Lanka on day 2 of the first Test here on Tuesday.
At stumps, West Indies’ score read 268/8, with Cornwall and Kemar Roach on the field.
Resuming the day from 13/0, West Indies witnessed a poor start with Kraigg Brathwaite getting out after scoring just three runs. John Campbell was then joined by Nkrumah Bonner on the field.
Both played brilliantly and took their team over the 50-run mark in the 32nd over. In the 37th over, Lasith Embuldeniya got hold of Bonner (31). Soon after that, Dushmantha Chameera sent Campbell (42) back to the pavilion.
Sri Lanka bowlers’ stunning performance helped their team get back into the game as they picked wickets at regular intervals and reduced West Indies to 171/7. However, from there on, Joshua Da Silva and Cornwall took charge and ensured West Indies stay on top.
The duo played some fine shots and took West Indies past the 250-run mark, with Cornwall completing his half-century. Their 90-run partnership was brought to an end by Chameera when he dismissed Da Silva (46).
For Sri Lanka, Suranga Lakmal picked five wickets while Chameera scalped two.
Earlier on day one, Jason Holder’s five-wicket haul had helped West Indies to end Sri Lanka’s first innings on 169 runs.
Brief scores: Sri Lanka 169 (Lahiru Thirimanne 70, Niroshan Dickwella 32, Jason Holder 5/27); West Indies 268/8 (Rahkeem Cornwall 60*, Joshua Da Silva 46, Suranga Lakmal 5/45). (ANI)

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

Sports

NEW ZEALAND JUST KILLED PAKISTAN CRICKET: SHOAIB

Published

on

Former Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar on Friday came down heavily on New Zealand for abandoning their tour of Pakistan and said the team just killed Pakistan cricket.

Taking to Twitter, Akhtar wrote: “NZ just killed Pakistan cricket.” He went on to add: “Following points for New Zealand to remember: 9 Pakistanis were killed in the Christchurch attack. Pakistan stood strong with New Zealand. Pakistan toured New Zealand in the worst of Covid circumstances regardless of the crude treatment by NZ authorities on that tour.

“This was just an unverified threat, it could have been discussed. Prime Minister Imran Khan personally spoke to his NZ counterpart and assured but it was still refused. Pakistan has safely hosted South Africa, Bangladesh, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe & PSL.”

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Friday before Blackcaps announced that they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan. Imran Khan assured Ardern that Pakistan has one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team but New Zealand Cricket (NZC) still decided to return home after the NZ government security alert.

New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003. The side was to play Pakistan on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series.

Continue Reading

Sports

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED ON THE ‘ABRUPT POSTPONEMENT’ OF THE SERIES, SAYS BABAR AZAM

Published

on

Pakistan captain Babar Azam on Friday expressed disappointment after New Zealand cricket announced they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan due to New Zealand government security alert.

“Extremely disappointed on the abrupt postponement of the series, which could have brought the smiles back for millions of Pakistan Cricket Fans. I’ve full trust in the capabilities and credibility of our security agencies. They are our pride and always will be!” Babar Azam tweeted. “Such a shame for Pakistan Cricket .. These late call offs will damage the game hugely financially .. Hopefully security issues can be resolved to allow cricket to be played again in Pakistan .. !!” wrote former England captain Michael Vaughan on his twitter handle.

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Friday before Blackcaps announced that they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan.

Imran Khan assured Ardern that Pakistan has one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team but New Zealand Cricket (NZC) still decided to return home after the NZ government security alert.

New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003. The side was to play Pakistan on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series.

“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series. Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same.

“The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” Pakistan Cricket Board stated in a statement.

Continue Reading

Sports

New Zealand abandon Pak tour after security alert

Published

on

The Blackcaps have abandoned their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) informed on Friday.The side was to play Pakistan on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series.

New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003. “However, following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan, and advice from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been decided the BLACKCAPS will not continue with the tour,” NZC said in a statement.

NZC chief executive David White said it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving. “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” he said. NZC said arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.New Zealand Cricket Players Association chief executive Heath Mills echoed White’s sentiments.

“We’ve been across this process throughout and are fully supportive of the decision. The players are in good hands; they’re safe — and everyone’s acting in their best interests,” he said.

NZC said it will not comment on the details of the security threat nor the updated arrangements for the departing squad.

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Friday before Blackcaps announced that they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan.

Imran Khan assured Ardern that Pakistan has one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team but New Zealand Cricket (NZC) still decided to return home after the NZ government security alert.

“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series. Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” Pakistan Cricket Board stated in a statement.“The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here,” PCB added.

PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. “However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal,” said PCB.

Continue Reading

Sports

Kusal Perera doubtful for T20 World Cup after sustaining hamstring injury

Published

on

Sri Lanka batsman Kusal Perera is doubtful for the upcoming T20 World Cup after sustaining a hamstring injury during the side’s third T20I against South Africa.

Perera was seen struggling with his hamstring while running between the wickets during his innings. “The injury is a sprinter’s injury, which can be picked up while running between the wickets. Because of the nature of the injury, we can’t do a fast rehabilitation,” ESPNcricinfo quoted Sri Lanka team physician Dr. Daminda Attanayake as saying. Allrounder Lahiru Madushanka is also out of the World Cup, after fracturing his collarbone while fielding in the same match.

Sri Lanka on Sunday had announced their 15-member squad for the upcoming ICC men’s T20 World Cup. Dasun Shanaka will lead the side as Sri Lanka begin their campaign on October 18 against Namibia in Abu Dhabi in Group A.

Sri Lanka Squad: Dasun Shanaka (c), Dhananjaya De Silva, Kusal Janith Perera, Dinesh Chandimal, Avishka Fernando, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Charith Asalanka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Kamindu Mendis, Chamika Karunaratne, Nuwan Pradeep, Dushmantha Chameera, Praveen Jayawickrema, Lahiru Madushanka, Maheesh Theekshana.

Reserves: Lahiru Kumara, Binura Fernando, Akila Dananjaya, Pulina Tharanga.

Sri Lanka will leave for Oman on October 3 to take part in two T20Is ahead of their participation in the ICC men’s T20 World Cup.

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) said the two games which will be played on October 7 and 9 will provide the visiting team with a preparation ground for the upcoming T20 World Cup.

Following the two games against Oman, Sri Lanka will play in two ICC-organised World Cup warm-up games, on October 12 and 14 before commencing its T20 World Cup campaign.

Continue Reading

Sports

SANIA MIRZA AND SHUAI ZHANG THROUGH TO QUARTERS

Published

on

India’s ace tennis star Sania Mirza and her partner Shuai Zhang entered the women’s doubles quarter-finals at the Luxembourg Open tennis tournament.

Sania and Zhang beat German twins Tayisiya Morderger and Yana Morderger 6-2, 6-3 in the round of 16 on Wednesday, as per olympics.com. Sania Mirza is a six-time Grand Slam doubles champion while Shuai Zhang won her second Grand Slam title at the 2021 US Open, partnering Australia’s Samantha Stosur.

The Indo-Chinese pair are seeded second for the Luxembourg Open.

It was an emotional moment when Minella’s final match ended around 8pm on Wednesday. The Luxembourgish tennis star lost both sets 3:6 against Alizé Cornet from France. It was the last time that the 35-year-old will perform in the singles category in Kockelscheuer.

On Tuesday, Minella crowned her 17th and final participation with an opening win in round one, an achievement which she never managed before. However, against Cornet on Wednesday, Minella eventually saw the end closing in: “It was really hard to hold back my emotions, but I was happy to have this moment here at home. I want to thank everyone who was present.”

Exactly 20 years ago, Minella played her first Luxembourg Open tournament in Kockelschuer at the age of 15.

Meanwhile, Sania Mirza and Shuai Zhang will now take on the Belgian pair of Greet Minnen and Alison Van Uytvanck in the last eight on Thursday evening.

Continue Reading

Sports

PAKISTAN GEAR UP TO TAKE ON NEW ZEALAND AT HOME AFTER 18 YEARS

Published

on

History will be made on Friday when Babar Azam’s Pakistan take on Tom Latham’s New Zealand in the first of the three One-Day Internationals at the Pindi Cricket Stadium. The occasion will see the tourists play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003.

This will be the fourth time the two sides will meet at the Pindi Cricket Stadium in an ODI with Pakistan enjoying a 3-0 advantage. Prior to this match, Pakistan and New Zealand have met 19 times in an ODI in Pakistan between 1976 and 2003 with Pakistan winning 16 times, a PCB release stated. Pakistan and New Zealand last met in an international 50-over competition during the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 when Babar Azam’s glorious century anchored his side to a fabulous six-wicket win at Birmingham.

This series provides an opportunity for sixth-ranked Pakistan to climb a spot in the ICC Rankings. If the hosts beat the tourists by a 3-0 scoreline, they would jump to the fifth position, however, any other result will see both sides retain their pre-series rankings.

The series will not be part of the ICC World Cup Super League as both the PCB and NZC have mutually agreed to swap the status of this series with the one taking place in the 2022-23 season. This means the ODI series in the 2022-23 season will count towards the World Cup 2023 qualification while the series commencing on Friday will be a bilateral fixture in which team and player ranking points will be up for grabs.

Pakistan captain Babar Azam, in his pre-series media conference held online, said: “Finally, the day has arrived and our entire camp is very excited to play New Zealand at home. We have practised hard for this series and I am sure we will take full advantage of our home conditions.

“We have a balanced squad and I remain optimistic about our chances in what promises to be an exciting series. I am sure fans at the stadium and millions watching us on screens will enjoy these matches.”

New Zealand captain Tom Latham said: “We know it is special for Pakistan to have cricket in their country and we are excited to be here. Pakistan is a quality side and they have some talented white-ball players in their line-up.

“We have desired fire-power in our ranks to win this series and I am sure our batters and bowlers will rise to the occasion and make this historic series memorable for us.”

Continue Reading

Trending