Vijay Hazare final: Eyes on Shaw as Mumbai take on Uttar Pradesh - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

Sports

Vijay Hazare final: Eyes on Shaw as Mumbai take on Uttar Pradesh

Published

on

New Delhi [India], March 13 (ANI): As Uttar Pradesh and Mumbai lock horns in the final of the Vijay Hazare Trophy on Sunday, all eyes will be on opening batsman Prithvi Shaw as he has already set the tournament ablaze.
Shaw has amassed 754 runs in the ongoing tournament, including an unbeaten 227. The youngster has so far registered four centuries and has already registered the record for scoring most runs in a single edition of the Vijay Hazare Trophy.
The 21-year-old Shaw who had a torrid run with the bat in Australia, has quickly managed to change his fortunes and he is now in the running to be picked in the Indian squad for the upcoming ODI series against England.
Uttar Pradesh has also had a good run in the tournament and the side defeated Gujarat in the semi-finals to set up the summit clash against Mumbai.
Shaw has had a problem with left-arm seamers in the past, and this can be brought to the forefront by Uttar Pradesh’s Yash Dayal. However, Dayal won’t have it easy as Shaw is very much familiarised with conditions at the Kotla, as he plays for Delhi Capitals in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
It is not as if Mumbai only has Shaw in their ranks, the other batters — Yashasvi Jaiswal, Sarfaraz Khan — are yet to come to the party and Mumbai would be hoping that they all bring their ‘A’ game in the summit clash.
Mumbai bowlers — Dhawal Kulkarni, Prashant Solanki, Tushar Deshpande — have been fruitful this season and they would be hoping to continue their good run in the final as well. Mumbai has won the tournament on three occasions and the Shaw-led side would be hoping for their fourth Vijay Hazare title.
On the other hand, Uttar Pradesh would be looking to win their second Vijay Hazare title. They had shared the 2004-05 title after the final against Tamil Nadu ended in a tie.
Mumbai Squad: Prithvi Shaw (c), Aditya Tare (wk), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shams Mulani, Shivam Dube, Aman Hakim Khan, Sarfaraz Khan, Tanush Kotian, Tushar Deshpande, Dhawal Kulkarni, Prashant Solanki, Akhil Herwadkar, Sujit Nayak, Siddhesh Lad, Akash Parkar, Sairaj Patil, Atharva Ankolekar, Atif Attarwala, Mohit Avasthi, Hardik Tamore, Siddharth Raut, Chinmay Sutar
Uttar Pradesh Squad: Karan Sharma (c), Upendra Yadav (wk), Madhav Kaushik, Samarth Singh, Priyam Garg, Akshdeep Nath, Sameer Choudhary, Shivam Sharma, Shivam Mavi, Yash Dayal, Aaqib Khan, Almas Shaukat, Rinku Singh, Abhishek Goswami, Kartik Tyagi, Aryan Juyal, Mohsin Khan, Shanu Saini, Aishwarya Mourya, Purnank Tyagi (ANI)

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

Sports

WILL TREAT EVERY GAME AS FINAL AND GIVE MY 100%, SAYS SUNRISERS SPINNER RASHID KHAN

Published

on

Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) spinner Rashid Khan has said the side will be treating every game in the UAE-leg of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 as their final match. SRH is languishing at the bottom of the points table and the side will have to battle it out to make it to the top four.

Rashid is also working on his batting skills to give SRH an edge lower down the order. “From one and a half years, I have been working on my batting as last 15-25 runs are very crucial for the side. So just trying my best to do different things, haven’t practised a lot of shots in the nets but I’m just focusing on having the right mindset,” said Rashid in the video. “Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season, yeah we didn’t have the ideal start in the first half of the tournament but looking forward to finish up well and treat every game as a final and give my 100 per cent,” he added.

Wickets in the UAE are said to assist the spinner, speaking about the same, Rashid said, “We have played enough games in UAE’s conditions and just need to find out the good areas on the wicket.”

All-rounder Jason Holder and the side’s new signing Sherfane Rutherford on Friday arrived in UAE ahead of the resumption of the 14th edition of the IPL.The 14th season, which was postponed in May this year in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, will resume on Sunday in Dubai with a blockbuster clash between Chennai Super Kings and defending champions Mumbai Indians.After the CSK-MI clash, the action will then shift to Abu Dhabi where KKR will square off against Royal Challengers Bangalore.

Sharjah will host its first game on September 24 when Royal Challengers Bangalore take on Chennai Super Kings. In all, 13 matches will be held in Dubai, 10 in Sharjah, and 8 in Abu Dhabi.

Continue Reading

Sports

AUSTRALIA WITHDRAW FROM JUNIOR HOCKEY WORLD CUPS

Published

on

The Kookaburras (Australian men’s hockey team) and Hockeyroos (Australian women’s hockey team) will not compete in the next edition of the FIH Pro League, with Hockey Australia (HA) also confirming non-attendance at various other FIH events over the coming months on Friday.

Australia and New Zealand will not take part in season 3 of the FIH Pro League as a result of Covid related government travel restrictions and uncertainty in both nations. According to Hockey Austalia, all participating countries and the FIH Pro League Council agreed it was untenable for international teams to travel to Australia and New Zealand, as well as for Australian and New Zealand teams to play overseas and return without having to quarantine.

“Based on risk assessment and current Australian government health advice, Hockey Australia is not considering overseas hockey-related trips at this time,” said Hockey Austalia acting CEO, Michael Johnston.

“The decision on our absence from the FIH Pro League was a collective one agreed on by all nations based primarily on other countries’ difficulty or inability to travel into Australia and New Zealand.

“In Australia it is apparent the easing of international travel restrictions is still a way off and none of the competing countries wanted to enter the next Pro League season without a level of assuredness,” Johnston added.

Hockey Australia said it remains committed to the Hockeyroos competing at the FIH women’s hockey World Cup in Spain and the Netherlands from July 1-17 next year.

The Kookaburras and Hockeyroos will also be part of the Australian Commonwealth Games team that will head to Birmingham in England between July 28 and August 8 2022.

With Covid causing ongoing challenges and risks with travel and subsequent quarantine, Hockey Australia has also withdrawn teams from the following tournaments:

-FIH Hockey Men’s Junior World Cup India 2021 (November/December)- FIH Hockey Women’s Junior World Cup South Africa 2021 (December)

– FIH Indoor Hockey World Cup Belgium 2022 (February)

Continue Reading

Sports

THERE WAS NO PRESSURE ON KOHLI, IT’S ALL ABOUT WORKLOAD: MADAN LAL ON T20 CAPTAINCY

Published

on

Former India all-rounder Madan Lal on Friday said India skipper Virat Kohli was not under pressure to step down from T20I captaincy and appreciated his decision. While speaking on Virat Kohli quitting T20I captaincy, he said: “There was no such pressure on him and I appreciate his decision. Today cricketers are playing all three formats of the game and Kohli is also captain of Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and seeing the workload he is currently at the peak of his career which is good for himself and the team.”

When asked about Sachin Tendulkar quitting the captaincy under pressure, Madan Lal said, “Kohli has not quit the captaincy as he has built a team and taken Indian team to number one Test ranking team so it’s not about quitting. It’s all about workload and there is pressure on everyone and you have to deal with that.”

Talking about ODI and Test match captaincy, Lal said there should be no changes in both formats. Talking about Rohit Sharma leading the T20 side, he said till now Rohit has done captaincy for Mumbai Indians and has done well in other matches. “We are lucky we have another captain coming in and we are grooming them and captain also learns from grooming and Kohli has not left T20 and Rohit will benefit from the output Kohli gives him.”

Madan Lal feels at present Rohit Sharma is the right candidate for T20 captaincy and the next skipper could be KL Rahul. On Rahul being made T20 captain, Lal was against it and said Rohit is already there and there should be no overlap and it will spoil the team and Rahul can be made vice-captain.

Continue Reading

Sports

NEW ZEALAND JUST KILLED PAKISTAN CRICKET: SHOAIB

Published

on

Former Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar on Friday came down heavily on New Zealand for abandoning their tour of Pakistan and said the team just killed Pakistan cricket.

Taking to Twitter, Akhtar wrote: “NZ just killed Pakistan cricket.” He went on to add: “Following points for New Zealand to remember: 9 Pakistanis were killed in the Christchurch attack. Pakistan stood strong with New Zealand. Pakistan toured New Zealand in the worst of Covid circumstances regardless of the crude treatment by NZ authorities on that tour.

“This was just an unverified threat, it could have been discussed. Prime Minister Imran Khan personally spoke to his NZ counterpart and assured but it was still refused. Pakistan has safely hosted South Africa, Bangladesh, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe & PSL.”

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Friday before Blackcaps announced that they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan. Imran Khan assured Ardern that Pakistan has one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team but New Zealand Cricket (NZC) still decided to return home after the NZ government security alert.

New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003. The side was to play Pakistan on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series.

Continue Reading

Sports

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED ON THE ‘ABRUPT POSTPONEMENT’ OF THE SERIES, SAYS BABAR AZAM

Published

on

Pakistan captain Babar Azam on Friday expressed disappointment after New Zealand cricket announced they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan due to New Zealand government security alert.

“Extremely disappointed on the abrupt postponement of the series, which could have brought the smiles back for millions of Pakistan Cricket Fans. I’ve full trust in the capabilities and credibility of our security agencies. They are our pride and always will be!” Babar Azam tweeted. “Such a shame for Pakistan Cricket .. These late call offs will damage the game hugely financially .. Hopefully security issues can be resolved to allow cricket to be played again in Pakistan .. !!” wrote former England captain Michael Vaughan on his twitter handle.

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Friday before Blackcaps announced that they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan.

Imran Khan assured Ardern that Pakistan has one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team but New Zealand Cricket (NZC) still decided to return home after the NZ government security alert.

New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003. The side was to play Pakistan on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series.

“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series. Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same.

“The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” Pakistan Cricket Board stated in a statement.

Continue Reading

Sports

New Zealand abandon Pak tour after security alert

Published

on

The Blackcaps have abandoned their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) informed on Friday.The side was to play Pakistan on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series.

New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003. “However, following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan, and advice from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been decided the BLACKCAPS will not continue with the tour,” NZC said in a statement.

NZC chief executive David White said it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving. “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” he said. NZC said arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.New Zealand Cricket Players Association chief executive Heath Mills echoed White’s sentiments.

“We’ve been across this process throughout and are fully supportive of the decision. The players are in good hands; they’re safe — and everyone’s acting in their best interests,” he said.

NZC said it will not comment on the details of the security threat nor the updated arrangements for the departing squad.

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Friday before Blackcaps announced that they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan.

Imran Khan assured Ardern that Pakistan has one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team but New Zealand Cricket (NZC) still decided to return home after the NZ government security alert.

“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series. Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” Pakistan Cricket Board stated in a statement.“The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here,” PCB added.

PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. “However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal,” said PCB.

Continue Reading

Trending