Uttarakhand glacier burst death toll rises to 70 - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

Uttarakhand glacier burst death toll rises to 70

Published

on

Chamoli (Uttarakhand) [India], February 23 (ANI): The death toll in the Uttarakhand glacier burst incident has reached 70 after two more bodies were recovered from the debris, according to the state government on Tuesday.
“According to the information received from the disaster control room yesterday, one dead body was recovered from Srinagar Chauras and one from Kirti Nagar. Of the 206 missings, 70 bodies and 29 human organs have been recovered so far,” said the Uttarakhand government.
Meanwhile, the rescue and search operation for 134 missing people is underway.
Indo-Tibetan Border Police personnel along with National Disaster Response Force and other sister agencies have been conducting search and rescue operations in Chamoli district.
A glacier burst earlier in the Tapovan-Reni area of Chamoli District of Uttarakhand, which led to massive flooding in the Dhauliganga and Alaknanda rivers and damaged houses and the nearby Rishiganga power project. (ANI)

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News

Haryana becomes 16th state to introduce paperless functioning of State Legislative Assembly

Published

on

By

Chandigarh [India], February 25 (ANI): A Tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between Ministry of Parliamentary Affair of Haryana Government and Haryana Legislative Assembly for implementation of National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) on Thursday.
Haryana has become the 16th state to introduce paperless functioning of State Legislative Assembly.
Secretary of Personnel and Training in Parliamentary Affairs Departments Pankaj Agarwal on the behalf of Haryana Government, Secretary of Vidhan Sabha RK Nandal on the behalf of Haryana Legislative Assembly and Joint Secretary Satya Prakash Khatana on the behalf of Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs have signed the MoU.
On this occasion, Haryana Vidhan Sabha Speaker Gian Chand Gupta presided over a meeting with officials of Central Government, State Government and Legislative Assembly in committee room at Haryana Vidhan Sabha today. Deputy Speaker Ranbir along with other members and officials of House Committee for NeVA and State Project Monitoring Unit Committee were also present in the meeting.
“The expenses on this project costing Rs 20 crores would be provided by the Central and State Government in the ration of 60:40,” Gian Chand Gupta said.
“Even in situation of COVID-19, we have been successful for implementation of National e-Vidhan Application,” Gupta said.
“Under this agreement, the Union Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs will organize a three year training programme for the officials of the State Legislative Assembly and IT Cell,” Vidhan Sabha speaker said.
Gupta also informed that the Vidhan Sabha Library would also be digitised soon.
“A large amount of paper is used in Question Hours, Calling Attention, Ordinances, Bills and other legislative work during the proceedings of Legislative Assembly Sessions. After the implementation of this paperless initiative, an amount of about Rs 15 crores will be saved which was earlier spent on papers in the sessions. It will also help in environmental protection,” he added. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

Salman Kurshid welcomes Nirav Modi’s extradition order

Published

on

By

New Delhi [India], February 25 (ANI): Congress leader Salman Khurshid on Thursday welcomed the decision by a UK court ordering the extradition of fugitive diamond dealer Nirav Modi, but questioned if it was the success of Indian agencies or that of the UK law.
“Whose success is it? Is it the success of our agencies or that of UK law? What should have been done is being done, and we welcome that. The UK Law deserves to be congratulated. Let us just hope that he (Nirav Modi) comes back (to India) and tells the truth,” Khurshid told ANI.
Earlier in the day, a UK court had ordered fugitive diamond dealer Nirav Modi to be extradited to India to stand trial after dismissing arguments of his “mental health concerns,” saying they are not unusual in a man in his circumstances.
Speaking about the new guidelines for digital media and OTT announced by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, the Congress leaders said, “The responsibilities and uses of social are often discussed and the government should take steps as they feel are right.”
This comes after Union Minister Prakash Javadekar announced the self-classification of content on OTT platforms into five age-based categories – U (Universal), U/A 7+, U/A 13+, U/A 16+, and A (Adult). (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

Delhi Court summons three men in connection with murder case

Published

on

By

New Delhi [India], February 25 (ANI): A Delhi Court has issued summon to three people after taking note of submission made by complainant and witness Pavitri Devi in connection with a murder case in Najafgarh here.
Metropolitan Magistrate Aakash Sharma has issued summon to Rakesh Bhandari, Laxmi Rawat, and Ankita Rawat for allegedly killing a man on June 27, last year. It is pertinent to mention here that all three — Rakesh Bhandari, Laxmi Rawat, and Ankita Rawat — are not named in the chargesheet filed by Delhi police in connection with the murder.
The court order came on February 20 after taking note of submission made by complainant and witness Pavitri Devi, which reveals the involvement of Rakesh Bhandari, Laxmi Rawat, and Ankita Rawat in the commission of the crime.
“In view of the inquiry conducted, let Rakesh Bhandari, Laxmi Rawat, and Ankita Rawat be summoned under section 204 CrPC as accused persons for commission of offences under section 302/323/34 of IPC, ” the court said.
A 33-year-old man Jitender Singh was killed by 8-10 persons in a Jai Vihar, Najafgarh of the national capital on the intervening night of June 27, last year. The man was allegedly beaten up by his neighbour and a group of people in Najafgarh area following a dispute over sharing of water. He later succumbed to his injuries at a hospital.
An FIR was lodged at a local police station based on the complaint of Anil Singh, the deceased’s brother. However, the fair investigation was not conducted by Delhi Police, Anil Singh said.
The complainant and his mother had made complaints to Vigilance Department citing the involvement of 8 persons. They had also apprised senior police authorities that since the beginning, the police was pressurizing the complainant and his family to settle the matter.
According to the complainant, despite a loss of precious human life, “the police was not fairly investigating the matter” and therefore a petition was filed by complainant’s Counsel Amit Sahni before Metropolitan Magistrate Kishore Kumar to monitor the investigation of the case, explaining that the grievance of the complainant and his family members is not redressed.
Without addressing the grievances raised by the complainant in the monitoring application, the police filed chargesheet against four persons only. MM Kishore Kumar on September 29, last year granted liberty to the complainant to file a protest petition against the chargesheet.
The complainant through his Counsel Amit Sahni had moved a protest petition submitting that the police has favoured other accused persons for extraneous reasons despite few of them were named by the complainant, his mother. Even in a vigilance complaint, the complainant had made categorial version about involvement of one Rakesh Bhandari, Ankita and Laxmi. It was also observed by the court that the police has manipulated statements to favour the accused persons.
MM Aakash Sharma observed that the Investigating Officer has omitted investigation either deliberately or in disregard thereof and has not recorded statements correctly.
MM Aakash Sharma after noting that since inception the complainant was raising serious concerns regarding the investigation. Despite complaining to various authorities the police has left out other accused persons named by the complainant and his family.
The court treating the protest petition as a complaint directed the complainant and his mother to lead evidence, which was then recorded accordingly.
“Perusal of the statement recorded under section 200 CrPC of the complainant and witness Parvati Devi reveals that the involvement of Rakesh Bhandari, Laxmi Rawat and Ankita Rawat in the commission of crime upon the deceased on that fateful day of June 27, 2020, which resulted in the death of deceased Jitender Singh Bisht and for causing simple injuries on the person of the aforesaid witness. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

Chhattisgarh cabinet approves draft of Chhattisgarh Electricity Charges Act 2021

Published

on

By

(Chhattisgarh) [India], February 25 (ANI): The Chhattisgarh cabinet on Thursday approved the draft of the Chhattisgarh Electricity Charges (Amendment) Act 2021.
The decision was taken at the cabinet meeting chaired by Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel held at Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly premises today.
According to a statement issued by the Chief Minister’s office, the cabinet has approved the draft of the Chhattisgarh Electricity Charges (Amendment) Act 2021.
“The cabinet has ratified the decision taken by Company’s Board of Directors to shut down both the 120 MW units of Chhattisgarh State Power Generation Company Limited in Korba,” it read.
“In the same sequence, Cabinet has authorized Energy Department to take the decision on alternative use of the vacant land available as a result of the closure of the power plants,” it added.
Many other decisions were also taken by during the cabinet meeting today.
Cabinet has decided to procure kodo-kutki and ragi at support price-in the scheduled area of the state.
Cabinet has decided to slacken the TP Rules for transport of minor forest produce in the state. As per this decision, state government has given this exemption to all unspecified minor forest produce except wood, minerals, wildlife products and tendu patta.
Regarding the disposal of unclaimed paddy procured at support price in Kharif marketing year 2019-20, Cabinet has taken following decision- for disposal of the estimated 2.27 lakh metric tonnes of paddy remaining in the post-drought collection center, the target of depositing the remaining 1.72 lakh ton paddy for custom milling has been cancelled and permission to deposit the additional 60,000 tons of rice out of the remaining quantity of 92,000 tons to Chhattisgarh State Civil Supplies Corporation in the State Pool, against the previously set target of 28.55 lakh tons of rice in Chhattisgarh State Civil Supplies Corporation.
In the Kharif marketing year 2020-21, 92 lakh metric tons of paddy has been procured at support price. Government of India had given permission to deposit only 24 lakh metric tons of rice in Food Corporation of India. After meeting the requirement of 24 lakh MT under State PDS, 20.5 lakhs metric tons of unallocated paddy is remaining (Surplus), which Cabinet has decided to resolve through committee-level auction. The cabinet sub-committee constituted for paddy procurement and custom milling will approve the highest bid received in the auction. Food department has been authorized to invited the bids for selling price of rice available in the Civil Supplies Corporation. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

Mumbai reports 1,145 new COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths in last 24 hours

Published

on

By

Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], February 25 (ANI): Mumbai reported 1,145 new COVID-19 cases, 463 recoveries, and five deaths in the last 24 hours, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said on Thursday.
With the addition of new infections, the cumulative COVID-19 cases in the city reached 3,22,843 including 3,01,520 recoveries and 11,458 deaths.
At present, the total number of active cases in the city stands at 8,997.
The recovery rate in Mumbai is 94 per cent. The city has 13 active containment zones currently.
As per the ministry, India recorded 16,738 new daily cases in the last 24 hours with 89.57 per cent of the new cases being reported from seven states. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

Police are treating Pooja Chavan suicide case as a crime and investigating accordingly: Maharashtra DGP

Published

on

By

Nagpur [Maharashtra], February 25 (ANI): Maharashtra Director General of Police (DGP) Hemant Kumar Nagrale on Thursday said in a press conference that the police are treating the Pooja Chavan suicide case as a crime and are investigating accordingly.
“Pooja Chavan’s death is a case of suicide. We treat such suicides as a crime and the Pune police are investigating in the same manner,” said Nagrale.
“The investigation is going in the right direction. I will not comment publicly on the investigation, it would not be appropriate to talk about the investigation,” he added.
On February 8, A 22-year-old girl, Pooja Chavan, had allegedly jumped off a building to end her life. Hailing from Parli town in Beed, Pooja had gone to Pune for an English speaking course. She lived in Heaven Park society along with two persons, who are reported to be her brother and one of his friends.
A couple of days after her death, some of her audio clips went viral on social media which the opposition took up and pointed accusing fingers at the Maharashtra Forest Minister Sanjay Rathod, demanding an investigation into the case.
The BJP has alleged that Maharashtra forest minister Sanjay Rathod is connected with the mysterious death of the woman in Pune. Rathod has denied all allegations.
As per procedure, an accidental death (AD) case was registered with the Wanawadi police station in Pune. No complaint has so far been registered by Chavan’s family. (ANI)

Continue Reading

Trending