+

Timely Rainfall May Lead to Moderation in Potato, Onion, and Tomato Prices

Following a long-drawn period of heatwave, timely rains have led to improved harvest prospects for key horticultural crops such as potatoes, onions, and tomatoes, according to a government statement quoted by Business Standard on Friday. Potato Harvest and Prices Although potatoes are typically a Rabi crop, they are also produced as a Kharif crop in […]

BJP Urges Delhi Government To Address Rising Vegetable Prices
BJP Urges Delhi Government To Address Rising Vegetable Prices

Following a long-drawn period of heatwave, timely rains have led to improved harvest prospects for key horticultural crops such as potatoes, onions, and tomatoes, according to a government statement quoted by Business Standard on Friday.

Potato Harvest and Prices
Although potatoes are typically a Rabi crop, they are also produced as a Kharif crop in states like Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Meghalaya, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu, with harvests occurring from September to November. The Kharif potato harvest is expected to increase by 12% compared to last month. Additionally, 27.32 million tonnes of potatoes were stored in cold storage this year, ensuring sufficient supply to meet demand.

Onion Harvest and Prices
Onions are harvested in three seasons: Rabi from March to May, Kharif from September to November, and late Kharif from January to February. The Rabi crop contributes around 70% of total production, while Kharif and late Kharif account for the remaining 30%, according to a Zee Business report. Onion prices are reportedly moderating, with just a 0.5% increase from the previous month. However, prices have risen by 38.1% on a yearly basis, as noted by NDTV Profit. The government has also purchased nearly 71,000 tonnes of onions for this year’s buffer stock.

Tags:

MONSOONTDGThe Daily GaurdianVegetables Prices