Illinois [US], February 9 (ANI): Peanut allergy affects at least 4.5 million adults in the U.S., many of whom report developing their first allergy symptoms during adulthood, reports a new Northwestern Medicine study.
However, despite the fact that roughly three out of four Americans with peanut allergy are over 17 years old, peanut allergy is often considered a predominantly pediatric concern. For example, earlier this year the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a peanut allergy therapy for initiation in pediatric patients ages 4-17. There are currently no FDA-approved therapies for patients with adult-onset food allergies.
The paper was published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
The new study provides the first detailed estimates of peanut allergy among U.S. adults in all 50 states, which was previously unknown. These data indicate peanut allergy may be more common than previously acknowledged, and while younger adults are most affected, peanut allergy impacts U.S. adults of all ages.
“Currently, the sole FDA-approved peanut allergy therapy–Palforzia– is only indicated for pediatric patients. Given the high prevalence of peanut allergy among U.S. adults, additional therapies are needed to help address this growing burden of disease,” said senior study author Dr. Ruchi Gupta, professor of pediatrics at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a physician at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago.
Gupta also is the director of the Center for Food Allergy and Asthma Research at Feinberg.
The study found 2.9% of U.S. adults report a current peanut allergy, while 1.8% report a physician-diagnosed peanut allergy and/or a history of peanut-allergic reaction symptoms. In addition, researchers found two in three adults with peanut allergy have at least one other food allergy–most commonly tree nuts but more than one in five are also allergic to shellfish.
The data also indicate many individuals who report peanut allergies and experience potentially severe allergic reactions are not obtaining a clinical diagnosis of their allergies.
“Clinical confirmation of suspected food allergies, no matter when their reported onset, is critical to reduce the risk of unnecessary allergen exposure as well as to ensure patients receive essential counseling and prescription of emergency epinephrine,” said study co-first author Dr. Dawn Lei, a clinical instructor of pediatrics at Feinberg and an allergist and immunologist at Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital.
Christopher Warren, director of population health at Feinberg’s Center for Food Allergy and Asthma Research and co-first author added, “Unlike allergies such as milk or egg, which often develop early in life and are outgrown by adolescence, peanut allergy appears to affect children and adults to a similar degree. Our study shows many adults are not outgrowing their childhood peanut allergies, and many adults are developing peanut allergies for the first time.
“Worryingly, despite reporting similar rates of severe reactions and annual food allergy-related emergency room visits, patients with adult-onset peanut allergy were less likely to report a physician-diagnosis as well as a current epinephrine prescription.”
Together, these data suggest additional efforts are needed to ensure optimal food allergy diagnosis and management among adults with peanut allergy, study authors said. (ANI)
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Yami Gautam shares glimpse from first day of shooting for ‘Dasvi’
Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], February 25 (ANI): Few days after the cast of upcoming social comedy ‘Dasvi’ unveiled the intriguing character posters and announced the commencement of the film’s shoot on social media, Yami Gautam on Thursday shared a picture from the first day of her shoot.
The ‘Kaabil’ actor, hopped on to Instagram and posted a picture featuring herself as a police officer named Jyoti Deswal.
Dressed as a cop that includes a blue cap and a brown uniform, Gautam is seen carrying a no-make-up look in the snap.
Giving a glimpse of her first day on the set of ‘Dasvi’, the actor wrote, “My first day on the set of #Dasvi playing #JyotiDeswal. Proud and honoured to play an IPS officer. #JaiHind,”
The movie is an upcoming project from the makers of ‘Hindi Medium’,’ Angrezi Medium’ and ‘Bala’. The hilarious social comedy also stars Nimrat Kaur and Abhishek Bachchan in pivotal roles.
Tushar Jalota is making his directing debut with the film, which is written by Ritesh Shah.
‘Dasvi’ is being bankrolled by Dinesh Vijan, Sandeep Leyzell, and Shobhana Yadav. The movie is being produced under the banner of Maddock Films Production, and Bake my Cake films. (ANI)
‘It got too dangerous’: Sacha Baron Cohen officially retires from playing ‘Borat’
Washington (US), February 25 (ANI): British actor and comedian Sacha Baron Cohen recently revealed that he’s retiring from his controversial character of Borat Sagdiyev, as portraying it “got too dangerous”.
According to People magazine, the 49-year-old actor said that he will not be continuing on with his character for another film in the ‘Borat’ franchise.
Cohen said, “It got too dangerous, there were a couple of times I had to put on a bulletproof vest to go and shoot a scene, and you don’t want to do that too many times in your life. I was pretty lucky to get out this time, so no, I’m not doing it again. I’m going to stay with the scripted stuff.”
Elaborating on his decision to end the films, Baron Cohen admitted that he gets little to no sleep ahead of shooting scenes that put his life in harm’s way, like when he attended a far-right rally in the sequel.
He explained, “The night before something like that — that rally — you’re trying to go through everything that can go wrong. In a normal scene like what we’re doing, we’re trying to make sure, ‘How do I make sure my performance is real? Have I done my research? How do I make sure the accent’s perfect?’ In this one you’re going, ‘Okay, if a bunch of guys with guns come from that side of the stage, have I got a way to get out? What happens if someone shoots me? What if a bunch of people start shooting me?'”
Baron Cohen starred in 2006’s Borat as the fictional Kazakhstani journalist who travels throughout the US to make a documentary. The film features real-life interactions with Americans. He reprised the character for the 2020 sequel, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, which also features Maria Bakalova as his daughter Tutar.
Sushmita Sen kickstarts shooting for ‘Aarya’ season 2
New Delhi [India], February 25 (ANI): Former Miss Universe and Bollywood actor Sushmita Sen on Thursday announced that shooting has begun for the second season of her much-anticipated thriller drama series ‘Aarya’.
The ‘Main Hoon Na’ actor took to her official social media accounts to share the news. She posted an extreme close up picture of her eyes where are luscious locks are seen covering half of her face.
She went on to compliment the post with a short note dedicated to the film and its team and wrote, “She sees a storm coming…in the mirror!!! #Aarya #season2 ‘your wish is our command’ I love you guys!!! Let’s do this @madhvaniram @officialrmfilms @disneyplushotstarvip #TeamAarya #duggadugga.”
To which the director of the series, Ram Madhvani welcomed her by replying, “Welcome back Aarya” in the comments section.
Sen made her comeback with the Indian crime drama web television series ‘Aarya’ for which she had bagged the title ‘Best Actor in drama series’ by eminent entertainment award platforms like Filmfare, Dada Saheb Phalke, Film Critics Guild, Raj Kapoor Award.
Directed by Ram Madhvani, the series, apart from Sikandar Kher, Manish Chaudhari, and Namit Das, also featured actor Chandrachur Singh and Vinod Rawat in the first season. (ANI)
Billie Eilish reveals she recorded new album in lockdown
Washington (US), February 25 (ANI): American singer and songwriter Billie Eilish recently revealed during an interview with Stephen Colbert on “The Late Show” that she has recorded a new album in lockdown.
According to Variety, the ‘Bad Guy’ singer said that this new album is the result of her first prolonged period of not touring since her career began in 2016. Eilish said, “I don’t think I would’ve made the same album, or even the album at all, if it weren’t for Covid.”
She added, “That doesn’t mean it’s about Covid at all, it’s just that, when things are different in your life, you’re different. That’s just how it is. So, I have to thank Covid for that, and that’s about it.”
She also talked about the imminent release of her documentary, ‘The World’s a Little Blurry’, which captures her hectic life in the months leading up to last year’s Grammy Awards, where she and musical collaborator Finneas captured multiple awards, including Best Album, Song, Record, New Artist and Producer, among others.
As per Variety, the logistics of recording an album would have been easier for Eilish, her brother, and Finneas, as they famously recorded most of their previous releases, which included 2019’s ‘When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?’ and the ‘Don’t Smile at Me’ EP, in the Los Angeles home they grew up in. (ANI)
David Fincher to helm Netflix’s ‘The Killer’
Washington [US], February 25 (ANI): Oscar-nominated director David Fincher, who had recently partnered with Netflix for his acclaimed biopic ‘Mank’, has reunited with the streaming service for his next feature film titled ‘The Killer’.
As per Variety, Michael Fassbender is in talks to star in the upcoming assassin drama. Andrew Kevin Walker, who has collaborated with Fincher on ‘Se7en’, ‘Fight Club’ and ‘The Game’, is writing the script for the forthcoming film.
Cean Chaffin will serve as producer for the film, which will focus on a cold-blooded assassin who begins to develop a conscience, causing him to emotionally crack. The story is based on a graphic novel by Alexis Nolent.
In November, Fincher signed a four-year film deal with Netflix. ‘Mank’, a black-and-white drama that chronicles screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz’s efforts to finish the script for the Orson Welles classic ‘Citizen Kane’, was released late last year and has been widely considered an Oscars frontrunner.
‘Mank’ marked Fincher’s first feature directing effort since 2014’s psychological thriller ‘Gone Girl’. In between, Fincher executive produced and directed the Netflix TV series ‘Mindhunter’, an FBI crime drama starring Jonathan Groff. (ANI)
‘I like me better when I’m with you’: Mira wishes Shahid Kapoor on 40th birthday
New Delhi [India], February 25 (ANI): As Bollywood’s handsome hunk Shahid Kapoor rang in his 40th birthday on Thursday, his wife Mira penned an adorable note for him on social media.
Mira hopped on to Instagram and shared two pictures wishing the star on his special day. The first picture is a selfie snap that features her kissing the ‘Kabir Singh’ star. Alongside the delightful picture, she explained how special does she feels while being with him.
“Happy 40th to the love of my life. Any wiser and I’m in trouble. Lucky me you don’t look it and lucky you, I don’t show it. I love you baby,” she wrote in the caption.
To wish him further, the mother of two posted a monochrome picture of the birthday boy that captures him coming out of a pool. In the caption, she wrote, “Shine on. Be one with the Light.”
The couple had tied the knot in a personal wedding ceremony in New Delhi in 2015 following which they welcomed two children – Zain and Misha.
Earlier in the day, Sasha’s younger cousin brother and actor Ishaan Khatter also shared a heartwarming birthday wish for him with an unseen throwback picture to mark the special day on social media.
Meanwhile, on the work front, Shahid will next be seen in ‘Jersey’, which also features Mrunal Thakur and Pankaj Kapur. The actor will be essaying the role of a cricketer in the film. It is a remake of a Telugu movie of the same name. He is also working for an untitled OTT project helmed by Indian filmmaker Krishna DK that also features Rashi Khanna in the lead. (ANI)
Opinion4 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports7 months ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News10 months ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
News8 months ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports7 months ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
News7 months ago
Things don’t add up in Sushant’s suicide: Swamy
Defence8 months ago
GALWAN: CHINA’S INFORMATION WAR
Defence5 months ago
Sino-Indian logjam: Facts, risks, options and the sum of all fears