Ben Stokes, the English all-rounder, was the chief orchestrator as England beat West Indies by 113 runs on the fifth and final day of the second Test at the Old Trafford in Manchester on Monday to level the three-match Test series 1-1.
Stokes set up England’s victory with a majestic 176 in the first innings as he stitched a 260-run partnership with fellow centurion Dom Sibley (120) to take England to a commanding 469/9.
In reply, the Windies managed 287, riding on half-centuries by Kraigg Brathwaite (75), Shamarh Brooks (68) and Roston Chase (51). With one day wasted due to rain, England needed a breezy innings from someone to post a challenging target for the tourists, and Ben Stokes was at it again, hitting a quickfire 57-ball 78 to set the Windies a target of 312.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
ISL 7: FC Goa ropes in Adil Khan on loan for rest of season
Panaji (Goa) [India], January 22 (ANI): FC Goa on Friday announced the signing of Indian international Adil Khan on loan from Hyderabad FC for the rest of the ongoing seventh season of the Indian Super League (ISL).
Adil’s professional career began in 2008 in the colours of Sporting Clube de Goa after making a move from SESA Academy. After spending years with the ‘Flaming Orange’, he moved to Kolkata to feature in the Green and Maroon of Mohun Bagan.
After spending the initial Hero Indian Super League season with Delhi Dynamos FC, Adil has gone on to represent FC Pune City and Hyderabad FC in the tournament. Having appeared 61 times in the ISL and with 11 India caps to his name, Adil brings a wealth of experience to the FC Goa side.
Speaking on his arrival to FC Goa, Adil Khan said, “Being from Goa, FC Goa is a club that has always been close to my heart, and finally the circumstances were exactly right for the move to happen.
“I am not only going to my hometown club, but it is also one of the biggest clubs in the country and their track record shows it all. Being a Goan, playing formerly in a team with a similar style and having known the players, I believe I can make a real mark on the team. I can’t wait to put on the FC Goa shirt,” he added.
Possessing the ability to play both in the midfield as well as in the backline, the 32-year-old adds both depth and quality to the Gaurs’ backline.
“We’re pleased to bring Adil on board to FC Goa. He’s a player who comes with a proven pedigree and will add to the team his leadership qualities as well. I’m sure he’ll be an asset for the team going into the second half of the season and in our maiden adventure into Asia.” said FC Goa Director of Football Ravi Puskur.
The 32-year-old is the second signing for the Gaurs in the January transfer window, following Dheeraj Singh Moirangthem’s arrival earlier this month on a three-and-a-half years deal from ATK Mohun Bagan. (ANI)
‘Doing very well, will be back soon’: CAB secy Snehasish Ganguly after successful angioplasty
Kolkata (West Bengal) [India], January 22 (ANI): Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) secretary Snehasish Ganguly, who underwent a successful angioplasty at the Apollo Hospital on Friday, is doing well and is expected to be back very soon.
“I am doing very well. I am getting good care and attention from Apollo Hospital. A big thanks to Dr. Aftab Khan, Dr. Saroj Mondol, Dr. Shubro Banerjee, and Team Apollo for the way my angioplasty was handled. I will be back to work very soon,” said Snehasish Ganguly while recuperating in his cabin in a statement issued by CAB.
CAB president Avishek Dalmiya paid a visit to enquire about the health of Ganguly in the evening.
“We had a long chat. He is doing really very well. I am sure he will be back to work very soon,” said Dalmiya.
On January 12, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly’s brother consulted a doctor and his blood tests and cardiac CT angio revealed that he needs “angioplasty to revascularise and open up the artery supplying blood to the heart”.
“Snehasish Ganguly consulted Dr Saptarshi Basu and did all his blood tests and cardiac CT angio in Woodlands on Jan 12, 2021. Angio revealed Single Vessel Disease (RCA) which will require Angioplasty to revascularise and open up the artery supplying blood to the heart. We got to know that Snehasish is planning to get the angioplasty done on Jan 22, 2021, from my old hospital Apollo Gleneagles. Hope and pray all goes well,” Woodlands Hospital, CEO, Rupali Basu had said on Thursday.
Earlier this month, Sourav Ganguly had undergone angioplasty at Woodlands Hospital. The former India captain was hospitalised at 1 pm on January 2 with “chest discomfort, the heaviness of head, vomiting and a spell of dizziness” while performing physical exercise in the home gymnasium at around 11 am. Following this, doctors had conducted angioplasty on him. (ANI)
ISL 7: Mumbai survive spirited surge by SC East Bengal to win hard-fought three points
Panaji (Goa) [India], January 22 (ANI): Mumbai City FC overcame a tough challenge from SC East Bengal to sneak in a 1-0 win in the ongoing seventh season of the Indian Super League (ISL) at the Tilak Maidan Stadium, here on Friday.
With this win, the Islanders stretch their incredible unbeaten run to 11 games now. It was a match of contrasting halves. Mumbai spurned a number of chances in the first 45 minutes but managed to take the lead through Mourtada Fall (27′).
A rejuvenated SCEB pulled out all stops in their search for an equaliser in the second half but frustratingly could not manage one. Mumbai had a chance as early as the third minute when Adam Le Fondre found himself in a position to shoot after receiving the ball from Cy Goddard but his attempt was wide of the post.
They should have taken the lead in the 14th minute when Goddard again turned supplier to Hugo Boumous courtesy of some sloppy keeping by Debjit Majumder. But the Frenchman blazed his shot over the bar.
SCEB were beginning to fashion chances of their own — Jacques Maghoma had an attempt go just wide — but their enthusiasm was dampened when Mumbai finally broke through in the 27th minute.
Goddard, again, put in a good delivery into the box which was well defended by SCEB. However, Boumous once again put the ball into the box and this time, he was able to find an unmarked Fall, who made no mistake.
Mumbai found another chance to score as the first half drew to a close. A cross found Le Fondre unmarked inside the box. The Englishman had a free header but was unable to get it on target.
Fall had the chance to get his second soon after the restart but failed to make the most of it. A chip from Ahmed Jahouh saw him with a clear shot on goal, but his attempt was straight into Majumder’s hands.
SCEB coach Robbie Fowler threw in Bright Enobakhare around the hour-mark and his presence immediately invigorated their attack. SCEB went close to getting the equaliser in the 64th minute when Daniel Fox headed inches wide from a corner.
Fowler’s team piled on the pressure in the final quarter of the game and there were times when Mumbai struggled to get the ball out of their own half. SCEB froze possession creating chances every minute but Mumbai keeper Amrinder Singh stood firm, ably assisted by a backline.
Perhaps, the best chance for the Kolkata side came with just minutes left on the clock when substitute Aaron Joshua Holloway floated in a beautiful cross to find Harmanpreet Singh at the far post. The forward was unmarked and should have netted but his header went narrowly over. SCEB pushed till the final minute, but the equaliser was never to come. (ANI)
De Bruyne out for up to six weeks due to injury
Manchester [UK], January 22 (ANI): Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola on Friday informed that midfielder Kevin De Bruyne will miss between four to six weeks after picking up an injury against Aston Villa in midweek.
The Belgian limped off after 59 minutes on Wednesday evening and has since undergone a scan to confirm he will need a spell on the sidelines.
Starting with Saturday’s FA Cup clash against League Two side Cheltenham Town, De Bruyne could miss as many nine games, including the trip to Liverpool and Champions League first leg against Borussia Monchengladbach.
“The doctor had to review the scan this morning, and he will be out between four and six weeks. It is a big blow. But we have to move forward. I am not saying that nobody doesn’t know about how important he is,” City’s official website quoted Guardiola as saying.
“Unfortunately for him and for us, he will be out for an important part of the season and we have to find a solution because everyone is struggling in this situation and we have to adapt,” he added.
The City boss also revealed the latest updates on Kyle Walker and Nathan Ake.
Walker was also forced to come off against Villa after picking up an impact injury and Guardiola said: “Kyle had a big impact kick in his hip, but just a kick, so is not available tomorrow but we wish he is available for the next game.
“Nathan is still not ready, but Aymeric came back to training and Eric also came back to training,” he added.
Sergio Aguero has been isolating after it was confirmed he had the coronavirus.
“What we wish right now is that Sergio feels better. He felt uncomfortable in the first three days after testing positive. He felt quite tired, with all the symptoms you get. Hopefully, he can come back soon. Step by step in training. A long time we have missed our best striker,” Guardiola said. (ANI)
Bangladesh rides on Mehidy Hasan, Shakib’s performance to seal series against Windies
Dhaka [Bangladesh], January 22 (ANI): Former skipper Shakib Al Hasan’s all-round performance and Mehidy Hasan Miraz’s best bowling figures helped Bangladesh secure a seven-wicket win over West Indies in the second ODI on Friday.
With this win, Bangladesh not only clinched the ODI series 2-0 but also moved up to the third spot in the ICC Cricket World Cup Super League standings.
Bangladesh first folded West Indies for 148 and then wrapped up an easy win on the back off skipper Tamim Iqbal’s half-century and Shakib’s unbeaten 43.
Chasing a paltry total of 149, Bangladesh openers were off to a solid start. Liton Das looked good during his stay in the crease before getting trapped in front of the stumps by Akeal Hosein.
Najmul Hossain Shanto and Tamim stitched a brief 47-run stand to deny any chances West Indies had in the first half an hour of Bangladesh innings.
Najmul was dismissed in the 17th over but Tamim and Shakib added a quick 32 for the third wicket as the skipper completed notched up 48th half-century in the ODIs.
Tamim departed soon after his fifty but Shakib and Mushfiqur Rahim ensured West Indies don’t make any further inroads as Bangladesh chased down the target in the 33rd over to seal the series.
Earlier, West Indies had another below-par batting performance. The visitors failed to combat the spin threat of the home side. Despite the batting collapse in the first match, West Indies opted to bat first after winning the toss.
But their fate remained the same from the last match. Mustafizur struck early to dismiss Ambris for 5. Then it was all about spinner Mehidy Hasan and all-rounder Shakib. The duo shared 6 wickets together to dismiss the Caribbeans for just 148 in 43.4 overs.
Brief Scores: West Indies 148/10 (Rovman Powell 41, Kjorn Ottley 24; Mehidy Hasan 4-25); Bangladesh 149/3 (Tamim Iqbal 50, Shakib Al Hasan 43*; Raymon Reifer 1-18) (ANI)
Thailand Open: Doubles pair of Satwiksairaj, Chirag enter semi-finals
Bangkok [Thailand], January 22 (ANI): Indian men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty entered the doubles semifinal with a scintillating win over Malaysia’s Ong Yew Sin and Teo Ee Yi in the ongoing Thailand Open on Friday.
Satwiksairaj, who has also qualified for the mixed doubles semi-finals, along with Chirag won the 37-minute long match in two consecutive sets (21-18, 24-22). The second set saw the game going down to the wire but the Indian duo ensured they get over the line in the quarter-final clash.
In another match, ace Indian shuttler PV Sindhu crashed out of the tournament after losing to Ratchanok Intanon in the quarterfinal clash.
Malaysia’s Intanon had the upper hand in the game from the beginning of the encounter. She outclassed Sindhu in straight games 21-13, 21-9 that lasted for 38-minute.
In the men’s singles, India’s Sameer Verma also faced defeat at the hands of Denmark’s Anders Antonsen in the quarterfinal match. Antonsen defeated Verma 21-13, 19-21, 22-20 in an intense one hour and 21 minutes long encounter.
Earlier in the day, the Indian mixed doubles pair of Satwiksairaj and Ashwini Ponnappa progressed into the semi-finals after a thrilling win over Malaysia’s Goh Liu Ying and Chan Peng Soon.
The Indian pair came out victorious with an 18-21, 24-22, 22-20 win. It was a thrilling contest throughout with both sides making every effort to advance in the competition.
Satwiksairaj and Ponnappa suffered a setback in the first game, losing 18-21. But the duo won the next two games, ensuring their spot in the semis. (ANI)
Opinion3 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports6 months ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News9 months ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
News7 months ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports6 months ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
News6 months ago
Things don’t add up in Sushant’s suicide: Swamy
Defence7 months ago
GALWAN: CHINA’S INFORMATION WAR
Defence4 months ago
Sino-Indian logjam: Facts, risks, options and the sum of all fears