Pfizer executives said on Tuesday that they could still deliver Covid-19 vaccine in the year 2020. Pfizer chief executive Albert Bourla said the drug giant could supply some 40 million doses in the United States in 2020 if clinical testing proceeds as expected and regulators approve a vaccine. “If all goes well, we will be ready to distribute an initial number of doses,” said Bourla, who pointed to a US government contract for Pfizer to supply 40 million doses by the end of this year and 100 million doses by March 2021.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Uttrakhand: Rescue ops underway for 28 climbing trainees caught in avalanche at Danda-2 peak
According to Uttarakhand’s chief minister, Pushkar Singh Dhami, up to 28 people could be trapped in an avalanche that struck Draupadi’s Danda-2 mountain summit on Tuesday.
The imprisoned people, who are all students at the Nehru Mountaineering Institute in Uttarkashi, are the subject of rescue operations. An avalanche reportedly struck the team this morning around 9:00.
“Information about 28 trainees of the Nehru Mountaineering Institute being trapped following an avalanche in Draupadi’s Danda-2 mountain peak has been received. Rapid relief and rescue operations are underway by the district administration, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), Army and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) personnel,” CM Dhami said.
At the earliest, rapid relief and rescue operations are being carried out by the district administration, NDRF, SDRF, Army and ITBP personnel along with the team of NIM to rescue the trainees trapped in the avalanche in Draupadi’s Danda-2 mountain peak,” tweeted the chief minister, Dhami.
A team from the SDRF has hurriedly arrived at the Sahastradhara Helipad in Dehradun to rescue the trainees caught in an avalanche for rescue activities.
CM Dhami claimed that he had called Rajnath Singh, the defence minister, and asked for the army’s assistance in accelerating the rescue effort.
He has assured us that he will give us every possible help from the centre. A rescue operation is being conducted to bring out everyone,” Dhami said.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh also took to Twitter and expressed his anguish over the loss of lives and consoled the bereaved families who lost their family members.
“Deeply anguished by the loss of precious lives due to the landslide which has struck the mountaineering expedition carried out by the Nehru Mountaineering Institute in Uttarkashi. My condolences to the bereaved families who have lost their loved ones,” Rajnath Singh said in a tweet.
“Spoke to CM Uttarakhand, Shri @PushkarDhamiand took stock of the situation. Rescue operations are underway to help the mountaineers who are still trapped. I have instructed the IAF to mount the rescue and relief ops. Praying for everyone’s safety and well-being,” Singh said.
Bombay High Court grants bail to Anil Deskmukh, remains in jail
In a money laundering case brought by the Enforcement Directorate, the Bombay high court on Tuesday granted bail to former Maharashtra minister and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Anil Deshmukh.
The bail was granted on a surety amount of Rs 1 lakh. The ED has asked for a two-week delay in the order’s implementation.
Deshmukh was arrested in November of last year and moved the high court after his bail request was rejected earlier this year by a special PMLA court.
Deshmukh has been given bail in the ED case, but he will continue to be held in relation to the CBI case that was brought against him in April of last year.
The Supreme Court had earlier ordered the High Court to quickly hear and resolve the NCP leader’s case because it had been pending for six months.
Deshmukh’s lawyers, Vikram Chaudhari and Aniket Nikam, argued that the senior NCP politician ought to be given bail in light of his age (72), good health, and lack of prior convictions.
Karnataka: Three dead after house wall collapsed due to heavy rain in Raichur
In Karnataka’s Raichur district, a family’s house wall collapsed due to heavy rains, killing three family members—including a child—officials said on Monday.
According to the officials, the incident happened in Kurdi village in Manavi taluk of Raichur district on Sunday night, and the deceased have been identified as Paramesh, 45, Jayamma, 40, and Bharat. 4.
The houses’ walls in Manavi Taluk, according to the police, have crumbled as a result of the three days of relentless rain.
“The family was asleep when the building collapsed. We were informed about the neighbours, and with the help of locals, we searched the debris, but all of them died on the spot,” said a senior district police officer.
Four women perished while crossing a bridge in the Koppala district of Karnataka late on Saturday night as a result of heavy rainfall.
According to residents, the women labourers were returning from work and trying to cross the submerged bridge at Sankanur village in Yellaburagi of Koppala when the incident took place.
“The women had gone to work in the morning hours, and returned by the evening. While returning, they thought that if they wait any longer, the water levels might increase. They held hands and tried to cross the bridge. Most of them managed to cross over, but the four victims have swept away. We tried to save them but failed,” said a resident, who didn’t wish to be named.
The villagers attempted to rescue the victims, but unfortunately, they could not be saved. The villagers requested that I should give my word that the bridge work will be completed soon. The proposal is already before the government, and I will get it approved as soon as possible,” the resident added.
Fresh weather forecast suggested that Karnataka may have some rainfall beginning in October.
According to the Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre (KSNDMC), scattered to widespread very light to moderate rains are forecast over south interior Karnataka and Malnad districts, while isolated heavy rains are probable over north interior Karnataka and coastal areas.
Additionally, a yellow alert was issued by the India Meteorological Department (IMD) for the following districts: Dakshina Kannada, Udupi, Uttara Kannada, Belagavi, Dharwad, Gadag, Haveri, Koppala, Raichur, Ballari, Chikkamagaluru, Chitradurga, Davanagere, Hassan, Shivamogga, and Kodagu.
Important notice for Round 1 reporting candidates: NEET UG 2022 Counselling
Important notice for NEET UG 2022 Counselling has been released by the Directorate General of Health Services. The notice has been released for those candidates who have reported to Round 1 schedule. Candidates can check the official notice on the official site of MCC at mcc.nic.in.Candidates who have joined the colleges can resign the seat of Round 1 starting from 3 October to 10 October, 2022, as per the official notice.The resignation letter of the candidate should be generated online by the allotted college, failing which the resignation will be treated as ‘Null & Void’. In such a case, candidate will be deemed to occupy the seat still, and rules of Round-2 will apply. In case candidate is resigning by sending email to college, s/he should make sure that they receive Resignation Letter generated through online portal of MCC, any offline resignation/letter is not permissible.Further more, Round-1 joined candidates who neither participate in Round-2 nor resign the seat of Round-1 will be considered part of Round-2 after the stipulated time. For more related details candidates can check the official site of MCC.
While in J&K, Amit Shah visits Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine
Union Home Minister, Amit Shah is on a three-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir. During his visit to the union territory, he visited the famous Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine which is situated on top of Trikuta hills on Tuesday on the occasion of Maha Navmi. Maha Navmi is seen as the concluding day of the nine-day Navratri celebrations.
Shah will fly to the border district of Rajouri to address a public rally after leaving the shrine. On Monday, Shah also met many people from varied communities like Pahari, Gujjar, Rajput and Bakarwal.
To assess the security situation and take part in public meetings, the home minister has arrived in the union territory. The minister will attend the security meeting on Wednesday along with the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Manoj Sinha, as well as senior members of the Army, paramilitary forces, and state police. Shah will also lay the cornerstones for several projects in Srinagar before his stay is over.
Several organisational meetings are on the cards for Shah, including the state core group meeting and meeting with party MPs and MLAs.
This is the second visit by Amit Shah to Jammu and Kashmir since the abrogation of Article 370 by the Modi govt in 2019.
Part-time jobs scam: Bengaluru ED raids Chinese app companies, seizing Rs. 6 crore
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) raided another Chinese platform promising part-time jobs as part of a campaign against fraudulent Chinese apps and seized Rs. 6 cr. The Karnataka city of Bengaluru served as the app’s headquarters.
At least 12 different places in Bengaluru were the targets of the raids. The software allegedly defrauded young people using the smartphone app “Keepsharer.” The software solicited money from young people while making part-time work promises.
In accordance with section 17 of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002, the ED carried out the searches and seizures. The money obtained through fraud was transferred from the bank accounts of various businesses with headquarters in Bengaluru, turned into cryptocurrency, and then sent to cryptocurrency exchanges in China. Chinese individuals were in charge of all transactions using phones and WhatsApp groups.
According to an ED statement, the Chinese nationals allegedly implicated in the scam employed many Indian nationals in a variety of roles, including directors, interpreters, and HR managers. An FIR filed in South CEN Police Station, Bengaluru City, served as the foundation for the ED’s money laundering probe.
“Investigation under PMLA revealed that gullible public mostly youth were cheated by some Chinese persons through a mobile App namely “Keepsharer” which promised them to give part time job and collected money from them. These Chinese persons formed companies in India and recruited many Indians as directors, translators (for translating Mandarin to English and vice versa), HR Manager and Telecallers. They obtained the documents of Indian people and opened bank accounts by using their documents. The accused Chinese people developed a mobile app in the name of “Keepsharer” and started its advertisement through WhatsApp and Telegram by offering part-time job opportunities to the youth,” ED said in a statement.
Six of the 92 accused, who were in command of the entire scam, are Chinese and Taiwanese citizens, according to the police chargesheet.
Opinion2 years ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking2 years ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Royally Speaking2 years ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219