Rs 6000 being given by state govt on birth of second girl child: Dr. Baljit Kaur


The Punjab government, led by Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann, is providing Rs. 6,000 as assistance on the birth of a second child, a girl. Dr. Baljit Kaur, the Minister of Social Security, Women, and Child Development, revealed this information, emphasizing that the main objective of this scheme is to improve the sex ratio of girls and enhance the health of women before and after childbirth.
Cabinet Minister explained that the government used to provide Rs. 5,000 in two installments (Rs. 3,000 + Rs. 2,000) to women aged 19 years and above on the birth of their first live child. However, the government has now increased this amount, and Rs. 6,000 are being given on the birth of a second child, if it’s a girl. This financial support is provided under the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana to uplift the nutritional and health status of pregnant women and lactating mothers.
Dr. Baljit Kaur emphasized the Punjab government’s commitment to improving the declining sex ratio of girls in the state. She mentioned that forms for this financial assistance are filled out by Anganwadi workers in all the Anganwadi Centres across the state. She also explained that the financial assistance will be directly deposited into the Aadhaar card-linked bank accounts or post office accounts of the beneficiaries.
Minister further informed that the Punjab Government is continuously working to maintain the healthy nutritional and health status of pregnant women and lactating mothers. Under this scheme, a total of 13,321 women beneficiaries have received assistance amounting to Rs. 5.25 crore during the current financial year in the state.
Dr. Baljit Kaur instructed departmental officials to ensure that the forms of eligible beneficiaries in the state are filled promptly. She also stressed the importance of making beneficiaries aware of this scheme to maximize its benefits. For more information, beneficiaries can contact their district Anganwadi Centre or the Child Development Project Officer at the district office.