Royal family documentary banned by Queen leaked on YouTube 50 years later - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

Lifestyle & Entertainment

Royal family documentary banned by Queen leaked on YouTube 50 years later

Published

on

Washington [US], January 31 (ANI): An infamous documentary on the royal family that was said to have been banned by Queen Elizabeth decades ago was mysteriously leaked onto YouTube this week.
People Magazine reported that the fly-on-the-wall BBC documentary, titled ‘Royal Family’, aired in 1969 and offered an unprecedented look inside the life of Queen Elizabeth and her family. Prince Philip thought it would open the doors to what being a member of the royal family was all about, but the Queen was said to have regretted the decision to film the documentary and it has largely been locked away ever since.
That is until this week when someone uploaded the film onto YouTube. It was swiftly taken down on Thursday before appearing again briefly on Friday morning.
The often-charming video charts Queen Elizabeth’s working life and her home life over the course of a year and could be a real-life version of ‘Netflix’s The Crown’.
For millions of her subjects, ‘Royal Family’ was a unique insight into Her Majesty’s life and work – from diplomatic functions to greeting ambassadors to travel to places like Chile and rides on the Royal Train. Viewers got to see her awakened every morning by the sound of bagpipes — something that continues to this day at Windsor, or wherever she is staying.
An intimate family moment around the barbecue on the grounds of Balmoral Castle in Scotland is also shown. And the Queen is seen alongside her daughter Princess Anne as they watch some of her racehorses being put through their paces in the midst of the Berkshire Downs. Anne famously disapproved of the documentary.
“I never liked the idea of the Royal Family film. I always thought it was a rotten idea. The attention that had been brought on one ever since one was a child, you just didn’t want anymore. The last thing you needed was greater access,” she previously said.
The Queen, who has often been perceived as a distant mother, is also seen as being very hands-on, excitedly driving through the snow to take her sons Prince Edward — who is about 5 years old — and Prince Andrew to see the Labradors during their winter break in Sandringham. Edward is even seen learning to read alongside cousin Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones and some friends.
As reported by People Magazine, the film also shows the visit of President Richard Nixon, who tells Charles and Anne that his daughters follow their progress avidly via news reports.
There is a lot of introduction to Charles as heir. At the time, he was studying at Cambridge University and is seen being told about his Duchy of Cornwall. He is still heir, 52 years later.
At the end of the film is a moment that some have pondered may be the reason the show has been kept under wraps. As the family gathers around the table over tea, Queen Elizabeth recounts a tale of when the (unnamed) British Home Secretary – a U.K. Government minister – tells her, “There’s a gorilla coming in” for a meeting.
The Queen says she turned to the politician and said, “What an extraordinary remark to make about someone – very unkind about anybody.'” She goes on to explain, “I stood in the middle of the room and pressed the bell and the doors opened and there was a gorilla. I had the most terrible trouble. He had a short body and long arms.”
Around the table, Charles and Philip join in the lively conversation. “If that happened to me, I would dissolve,” says Charles.
The remark would be rightly seen as wildly inappropriate today, but apparently was barely commented upon at the time. (ANI)

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

Lifestyle & Entertainment

CELEBRITIES JET OFF TO JAIPUR FOR KATRINA, VICKY’S WEDDING

Published

on

JAIPUR: It’s time for the wedding of the year! Bollywood stars Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal will tie the knot on December 9 at Six Senses Fort Barwara, Rajasthan, and guests have already started arriving for the big fat wedding.

Radhika Madan, was spotted at the Jaipur Airport on Tuesday. Katrina Kaif’s ‘Baar Baar Dekho’ director Nitya Mehra and Vicky Kaushal’s close friend and actor Malavika Mohanan were also seen at the airport. Other celebrities who have arrived on Tuesday include Vijay Krishna Acharya and ‘Bunty Aur Babli 2’ actor Sharvari. Neha Dhupia and Angad Bedi were also spotted at the Mumbai aiport.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

SARA TURNS EMOTIONAL AS ‘KEDARNATH’ COMPLETES 3 YEARS

Published

on

MUMBAI: Yesterday was a special day for actress Sara Ali Khan as her first film ‘Kedarnath’ completed three years since its release.

Taking to Instagram, she penned a heartfelt post. “3 years ago my biggest dream came true. I became an actor, and my first, and most special film released. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to explain how much Kedarnath means to me- the place, the film, the memories, all of it,” she wrote.

The film’s third anniversary has also made Sara emotional as it brought back her memories with late actor Sushant Singh Rajput, who had essayed the role of her love interest. “But today I’m really missing my Mansoor. It’s only because of Sushant’s unwavering support, selfless help, constant guidance and compassionate advice that Mukku was able to reach your hearts. From Kedarnath to Andromeda. Miss you forever Sushant,” she added.

Sara also thanked director of the film Abhishek Kapoor for giving her the opportunity to act in ‘Kedarnath’.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

CHHORI: NUSHRRATT REVEALS HER PROCESS OF APPROACHING A CHARACTER

Published

on

MUMBAI: Chhorii star Nushrratt Bharuccha, has been garnering praises for her performance in the film, from all across. The actress went out of her comfort zone with the film and stunned us with her new avatar as an actress.

Speaking about her process of approaching the character, “With each movie, I always try and discover a new approach or method to do the character, to know the character or to turn into the character. This is because, I never went to an acting school, or took any other form of formal training, — I have always learned on the job and found my own way to do a character.”

Speaking about her character Sakshi, Nushrratt says, “Sakshi was a very layered character. She was vulnerable, soft, impressionable, forgiving and yet strong and fearless. A survivor. A fighter. Getting her emotional quotient right as a fiercely protective mother was also very important.” “I’m eternally grateful to Vishal sir for seeing Sakshi in me, and entrusting me with the character.” Says a grateful Nushrratt. Unanimously lauded as her career’s finest performance, Chhorii ushers in a new era for the actress as audiences were introduced to Nushrratt 2.0. There’s much more in store from the actress as she turns the page with content-driven films like ‘Janhit Mein Jaari’, which she headlines, ‘Ram Setu’, ‘Hurdang’ and several exciting developments in the pipeline.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

RANI’S ‘MRS CHATTERJEE VS NORWAY’ TO RELEASE IN MAY 2022

Published

on

MUMBAI: 2022 is going to be a special year for Rani Mukerji’s fans as the actor’s most awaited film ‘Mrs Chatterjee VS Norway’ will release on May 20 next year.

Directed by Ashima Chibber, ‘Mrs Chatterjee VS Norway’ revolves around a journey of a mother’s battle against an entire country. It is produced by Monisha Advani, Madhu Bhojwani and Nikkhil Advani’s Emmay Entertainment and Zee Studios On Tuesday, the social media team of Emmay Entertainment took to the production banner’s Instagram account and shared the release update with netizens.

“With the odds against her, this mother must fight it all and more to be strong for her children! Inspired by a true story, #MrsChatterjeeVsNorway starring #RaniMukerji releases in theatres on – Friday, May 20th 2022,” the post read. ‘Mrs Chatterjee VS Norway’ was shot extensively in Estonia and in some parts of India. 

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

TOM HOLLAND TO PLAY FRED ASTAIRE IN UPCOMING BIOPIC

Published

on

WASHINGTON: Actor Tom Holland has recently confirmed that he will portray the role of late legendary Hollywood icon Fred Astaire in an upcoming biopic by Sony Pictures. As per The Hollywood Reporter, the 25-year-old confirmed the news while promoting ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ at a London event. “The script came in a week ago. I haven’t read it yet; they haven’t given it to me,” he told the media. Further details like who is the writer of the project are not disclosed yet. Another Astaire project also is in the works of Amazon Studios and Automatik, with Bell starring as the legend and Margaret Qualley playing Ginger Rogers. Academy Honorary Award winner Fred Astaire was a dancer, singer, choreographer, and television presenter. He is widely considered the greatest dancer in film history. His stage and subsequent film and television careers spanned a total of 76 years. 

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

HEMSWORTH SHARES FOOTAGE FROM ‘EXTRACTION 2’ PRAGUE SETS

Published

on

WASHINGTON: Hollywood star Chris Hemsworth has teased his return as mercenary Tyler Rake in the upcoming installment of ‘Extraction’.

As per The Hollywood Reporter, Hemsworth shared a short video via the Russo Brothers Instagram account, with a caption declaring that the action sequel is “coming in hot…or actually, freezing cold.” In a snowy location, Hemsworth appeared, slightly bloodied, on a train with stuntman-turned-director Sam Hargrave, who helmed the 2020 hit. “First day shooting on Extraction 2,” Hemsworth said in the video, adding that they are in Prague. “Two things are different from the last film. One: very very cold. Two: I’m alive. How? You’ll have to find out. Watch the movie. Stay tuned,” he added. ‘Extraction’ told the story of Rake, an Australian black market mercenary who is enlisted to rescue the kidnapped son of an international crime lord. Upon its release, the film was viewed on Netflix by an estimated 90 million households. The upcoming sequel has been penned by ‘Avengers: Endgame’ filmmaker Joe Russo.

Continue Reading

Trending