‘Pakistan-origin youths’ target Hindu areas in Leicester - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News Plus World

‘Pakistan-origin youths’ target Hindu areas in Leicester

Published

on

In a horrifying incident, Pakistani organised gangs were seen vandalising and terrorising Hindus in the UK’s Leicester City. The violence took place on August 28 after India won the match against Pakistan in the 2022 Asia Cup. Various videos and reports have been circulating on social media about further attacks following last weekend’s incident.  “Gangs running riot and escalating attacks on Hindus “Innocent Hindus have been terrorised in their own properties; there have been attempts to stab them, and there has been rampant vandalism of Hindu properties,” Rashami Samant, a human rights activist, tweeted.”Trouble in Leicester, UK. “Pakistani Muslims are targeting Hindu households, desecrating religious symbols, and using racist slurs (mushirks),” another Twitter user wrote. 

“Hindu Indians were attacked by Muslims in Leicester, UK.”After the Aug. 28 #INDvsPAK match” said another Twitter user. Meanwhile, an emergency meeting took place on Tuesday to discuss ongoing tension involving representatives from the communities involved, the police, and Leicester City Council.  Since then, more attacks have been reported. Suleman Nagdi, the spokesman for the Federation of Muslim Organizations, said, “A meeting will be held tomorrow with the police and other stakeholders to inform people what’s going on and give reassurances to the community that they are taking things seriously,” reported local media. 

He urged people to be careful what they post on social media. He said, “I’ve seen reports and videos of more attacks. Some could be old incidents, but some have been verified.” In one tweet this morning, a member of the public complained about more violence taking place, including an attack yesterday. He said, “Woke up to find out about another attack that took place last night in Leicester.”Take action before it escalates.” 

After the incident, Inspector Yakub Ismail, commander for the East Leicester Police, said the police were working to ensure such things did not happen again.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News Plus World

US envoy calls for serious national political dialogue in Afghanistan

Published

on

US envoy calls for serious national political dialogue in Afghanistan

US special envoy for Afghanistan Thomas West has called for a ‘serious’ national political dialogue in Afghanistan as the people continue to take the strain of Taliban atrocities and human rights violations in the country.
Thomas West underlined, “Without a serious national political dialogue about the future of the country among Afghans who have genuine support in their community, I really do fear…. we could see a return to civil war in time,” as he delivered his remarks at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, lambasting Taliban for their cruelty on Afghans, TOLOnews reported. “We wish to see and to support the emergence of a peaceful and stable Afghanistan that never again harbours terrorists … in which the rights of all its people, women and men, boys and girls are upheld,” the US Special envoy said.
However, the Deputy spokesman for the Islamic Emirate, Bilal Karimi, said that there is no requirement for national dialogue in Afghanistan.
“There is peace and security in the country. All the challenges that previously existed are currently solved. The time for negotiations was when there was war in the country and there were many sides–there was an invasion–now here is a central government and the people are in a calm situation,” TOLOnews reported quoting the deputy spokesman of the Islamic Emirate, Bilal Karimi.
Recently, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) released a recent report, outlining the human rights situation in Afghanistan since the Taliban takeover.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Hurricane Ian pummels US state of Florida

Published

on

Hurricane Ian pummels US state of Florida

Following a landfall on Wednesday, Hurricane Ian has caused severe destruction across the US State of Florida, leaving more than 2.5 million homes and businesses without power, media reports said.
Quoting the local authorities, Al Jazeera reported that a 72-year-old man who fell into a canal in the city of Deltona has died as a result of the storm whereas rescuers have been looking for missing persons.
During a speech on Thursday, US President Joe Biden said, “This could be the deadliest Hurricane in Florida’s history; the numbers are still unclear but we’re hearing early reports of what may be a substantial loss of life.”
Taking to Twitter, Biden wrote, “My message to the people of Florida is that at times like these, America comes together. We put aside our differences and pull together as one team. One America.”
“However long it takes, the U.S. Government will be there,” he tweeted.
On Wednesday, Twenty-three people were found missing after a boat carrying migrants capsized off the coast of Florida due to Hurricane Ian, US Border Patrol said in a statement.
The survivors were later taken to the nearby hospital as they complained of exhaustion and dehydration.
Moreover, due to approaching Ian, the mayor of Charleston, South Carolina, has asked his city to shut down Friday, Al Jazeera reported.
“There will be water tomorrow in this city,” Mayor John Tecklenburg said.
“Take this storm seriously,” Tecklenburg added, “tomorrow, stay home and stay out of harm’s way.”
Notably, Tropical Storm Ian which has caused widespread destruction in Florida is expected to become a hurricane again before making US landfall for the second time on Friday, the US National Hurricane Center has said, issuing a hurricane warning for the entire coast of South Carolina, according to Al Jazeera.
More than one million Florida residents have lost power after the powerful and several homes have been put under evacuation orders as the dangerous storm hit the US.
Subsequently, Cuba also started restoring power on Wednesday after the powerful hurricane knocked out the island’s electricity grid and wreaked havoc.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

China’s crashing economy: effect of zero Covid policy

Published

on

China’s crashing economy: effect of zero Covid policy

The World Bank concluded in its recent forecast that Beijing’s economy will grow at a slower rate than the rest of East Asia this year as China’s Zero Covid Policy has resulted in the shutdown of businesses in the country impacting hundreds of thousands of citizens.
Moreover, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and its impact on energy and food prices and supply is also weighing on China’s economy, Sydney Morning Herald reported. China has been trying tough to stimulate growth via infrastructure investment, and incentives, however, their draconian measures to curb covid via strict zero covid policy have added to the miseries of people.
The World Bank on Tuesday slashed China’s 2022 economic growth projection to 2.8 per cent, pointing to Beijing’s “zero-COVID” policy and real estate crisis.
Notably, the World Bank forecasted 5 per cent economic growth in April, The Strait Times reported.
The Zero Covid Policy of China under which full or partial lockdowns were imposed in major centres, has had a negative impact on businesses. More severe lockdowns were implemented in the country as it continued to report more coronavirus infections this year.
Many people have been unemployed and underemployed, especially in service industries, due to the repeated lockdowns in different parts of the country.
The lockdowns have affected factory production, and supply chains and caused goods shipment delays to the rest of the world and consumer prices in the country rose by 2.5 per cent due to the dampened demand.
China is one of the last places in the world still enforcing stringent zero-Covid measures. The heavy-handed approach has seen dozens of neighbourhoods across Shenzhen identified as “high-risk areas,” and placed under strict lockdown orders.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

US Senate approves $12.3 billion aid for Ukraine

Published

on

US Senate approves $12.3 billion aid for Ukraine

US Senate on Thursday approved emergency aid of USD 12.3 billion to Ukraine in its war against Russia. The measure will not only continue government spending for several weeks but will also help Ukraine in war to a greater extent.
According to the New York Times, the US Senate on Thursday approved a temporary spending package to keep the government funded past a Friday deadline.
Under the legislation, the measure would provide about USD 12.3 billion in emergency aid for war-torn Ukraine which includes USD 3 billion for supplies and arms for Ukraine’s military.
It also provides USD 4.5 billion for Kyiv to keep the country’s finances stable and keep the government running in order to provide basic services to the people of the war-torn country.
The aid for Ukraine comes straight after Congress approved approximately USD 54 billion in two previous packages.
On August 19, the US Defence Department announced that it would provide a new USD 775 million in additional military assistance to Ukraine, including HIMARS missiles, artillery, and mine-clearing systems.
Since 1993, the US has invested over USD 4.2 billion for the safe clearance of landmines and explosive weapons of war (ERW) as well as the securing and safe disposal of excess small arms and light weapons (SA/LW) and munitions in more than 100 countries and territories.
In total, the United States has now committed approximately USD 9.8 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden Administration. Since 2014, the United States has committed more than USD 11.8 billion in security assistance to Ukraine.
Notably, Russia launched a “special military operation” in Ukraine on February 24, which the West has termed an unprovoked war. As a result of this, the Western countries have also imposed several crippling sanctions on Moscow.
Moreover, Russia will hold a signing ceremony on Friday to incorporate the annexed four occupied regions of Ukraine at Kremlin, Moscow’s President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
“Tomorrow in the Georgian Hall of the Grand Kremlin Palace at 15:00 [1200 GMT] a signing ceremony will take place on the incorporation of the new territories into Russia,” spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Thursday, as quoted by Al Jazeera.
He further added that Putin will make a speech at this event.
The referendum by the Russian authorities on the annexation of occupied territories of Ukraine was largely seen as a “sham referendum” and has been widely criticised by various countries.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

US, Pacific Island leaders reach deal with eye on China

Published

on

US, Pacific Island leaders reach deal with eye on China

In order to checkmate the Chinese influence in the Pacific Islands, America and Pacific leaders and representatives from 14 Pacific Island states issued a joint declaration resolving to strengthen their partnership.
In the historic two-day summit, the United States and Pacific leaders reached an 11-point Declaration on US-Pacific Partnership, declaring that they shared a vision for a region where “democracy will be able to flourish.” “We share a vision for a resilient Pacific region of peace, harmony, security, social inclusion, and prosperity, where individuals can reach their potential, the environment can thrive, and democracy will be able to flourish,” read the declaration on US-Pacific Partnership. Washington’s plan to deepen diplomatic engagement with the Pacific comes as concerns grow about China’s expanding influence in the region.
Earlier, the Solomon Islands had indicated it would not sign a joint declaration during the high-profile gathering, just five months after it signed a security agreement with China. The President addressed the visiting leaders from a dozen Pacific Island countries in Washington on Thursday in the first-ever summit held to make the Indo-Pacific region safe and keep these island nations away from the increasing influence of China, which in the past few years has made extraordinary outreach efforts in the region.
“Today, security in the Pacific and for the Pacific Islanders remains as critical as ever to us and I hope to you as well. The security of America, quite frankly, and the world depends on your security and the security of the Pacific Islands. And I really mean that,” Biden said.
The summit was attended by heads of state from Fiji, Solomon Island, Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, Marshall Island, Palau, Samoa, Tonga, Polynesia, New Caledonia and the Cook Islands.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

‘China has key role in US’ drug problem’

Published

on

‘China has key role in US’ drug problem’

Fentanyl, a nameless killer touted as the deadliest drug threat facing the United States, is waging an all-out assault on the most powerful country in the world.
Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 50 times more potent than heroin. Just two milligrams of fentanyl, or the amount that could fit on the tip of a pencil, is considered a potentially lethal dose, according to the US government. “In 2021, a record number of Americans – 107,622 – died from a drug poisoning or overdose. Sixty-six per cent of those deaths can be attributed to synthetic opioids such as fentanyl,” the US Justice Department said this week.
On Tuesday, the US government announced the results of an enforcement operation that spanned from May to September and resulted in significant fentanyl seizures across the United States.
As part of the One Pill Can Kill initiative, the DEA and its law enforcement partners seized more than 10.2 million fentanyl pills and approximately 980 pounds of fentanyl powder during the period of May 23 through Sept. 8, 2022.
The US Justice Department said the amount of fentanyl taken off the streets during this surge is equivalent to more than 36 million lethal doses removed from the illegal drug supply.
In an editorial, a Toronto-based think tank highlighted China’s role in the trade of synthetic drugs, which has led to concerns about possible involvement in the US opioid problem.
“The production of illegal fentanyl, the majority of which was destined for the American drug market, was outlawed in China three years ago as a result of a vigorous diplomatic campaign by the United States. Since then, most of the illicit fentanyl production has moved from China to Mexico, where it is produced on an industrial scale utilising chemicals imported from China as precursors,” the International Forum For Rights And Security (IFFRAS) said.
The IFFRAS said the sale of precursor chemicals and the illicit funds obtained from it has supported China’s economy at a time when it has struggled to recover from the global financial crisis. However, it is unlikely that the opioid crisis is a part of some large-scale Chinese hybrid campaign against the United States.
The think tank argues that the opioid problem has also turned into a political negotiating chip for the Chinese government as tempers are once again rising over the Taiwan Strait.
“In protest of US congressional travels to Taiwan last month, China froze all counterdrug cooperation with the US, saying the consequences of undermining bilateral ties and hurting China-US counternarcotics cooperation should be entirely borne by the U.S. side,” the Canadian think tank said.
It states that China does not have many reasons to contribute to stopping the flow of pharmaceuticals to the US.

Continue Reading

Trending