The Nobel Prizes 2022 are set to be announced through this week. Each day is dedicated to different categories. The medicine award set to be given on Monday followed by physics on Tuesday, chemistry on Wednesday and literature on Thursday. The Nobel Peace Prize will be announced on Friday and the Economics award on October 10.
The Prizes in medicine, physics, chemistry, literature and peace were established by Alfred Nobel. According to Alfred Nobel’s will of 1895, Nobel prizes are awarded to “those who, during the preceding year, have conferred the greatest benefit to humankind.” Alfred was a Swedish chemist, engineer, and industrialist most famously known for the invention of dynamite. He died in 1896. In his will, he bequeathed all of his “remaining realisable assets” to be used to establish five prizes which became to be known as “Nobel Prizes”. These prizes were first awarded in 1901.
Here is everything you need to know about the Nobel Prizes:
1. The prizes in medicine, physics, chemistry, literature and peace were established by Swedish industrialist and the inventor of dynamite Alfred Nobel.
2. The first Nobel awards were handed out in 1901.
3. The Nobel prize is worth 10 million kronor (nearly $900,000).
4. The economics award was created by Sweden’s central bank in 1968.
5. The coveted prizes have been awarded 609 times.
6. People are free to submit nominations for the Nobel Prizes.
7. The Nobel Peace Prize is given in Norway while the other awards are given in Sweden.
8. The Nobel committees are very secretive and they never hint as to who will win the prizes.