New Delhi [India], January 31 (ANI): India pacer T Natarajan got his head tonsured and shared a picture of himself standing in front of a temple with his hands folded as a sense of respect for the almighty.
Taking to Twitter Natarajan wrote: “Feeling blessed.” The pacer was chosen as a net bowler for the Australia series, but the left-armer went on to represent the country in all three formats of the game. In his debut Test at Gabba, he went on to take three wickets, including the likes of Marnus Labuschagne and Matthew Wade in the first innings.
Last week, he had said that being a left-arm pacer works as an advantage for him as currently there are not many bowlers with that angle playing for the senior side.
“The main reason for me playing all the formats has to go towards my practice and all my coaches, they would have known about my strength in the formats so they gave me a chance to play in all formats. I am a left-armer so that works as an advantage for me,” Natarajan had said.
“The main reason for me playing all the formats has to go towards my practice and all my coaches, they would have known about my strength in the formats so they gave me a chance to play in all formats. I am a left-armer so that works as an advantage for me. I always believe in my strength. I will try to support the Salem cricket association as much as I can. It is because of people’s support that I am here. People know how I came here, if one does hard word he can achieve anything. I could not meet you all when I returned, I thank the media and all who supported me,” he had added.
After the Australia tour, Natarajan received a hero’s welcome at his native village in Salem. Upon reaching his native village Salem, Natarajan was welcomed with ‘dhols’ and shehnais. The Indian pacer was surrounded by a huge crowd and he then stepped onto a chariot.
Earlier this month, India had won the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series 2-1. For the first time in 32 years, Australia was defeated at the Gabba, Brisbane.
Former India captain MS Dhoni had also shaved his head after guiding the team to the World Cup triumph back in 2011. (ANI)
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Harmanpreet’s emotional breakdown on Jhulan Goswami’s farewell game.
The Indian Women’s Cricket team stepped into the iconic Lord’s stadium for the ODI match against England. While the team aimed to create history by clean sweeping England on their pitch, this match holds its importance beyond this.
The match was special as the Indian pace baller, Jhulan Goswami will bid adieu to the sports after this match. Ahead of the third and final match, Indian captain, Harmanpreet Kaur was seen crying and then Jhulan hugged her.
Jhulan’s cricket career has been spectacular where she played 12 tests, 2014 ODIs and 68 T20s for India. She has the record for the most number of wickets, 353 wickets, in her international career. This is the most by any player in women’s cricket.
“I’d like to thank the BCCI, my friends, my family, my coaches, teammates, and captains,” said the bowling legend to Sky Cricket before the start of the match. “Everyone, thanks for this opportunity, this is a very special moment.”
“When I started my career in 2002, I played my first series against England, and I’m ending against England in my last series. And the most important thing is that we’re 2-0 up in the series which is the most important thing for me at this moment.’
“Every moment [of 20-year career] has had a lot of emotions, a lot of effort put in. But the 2017 World Cup where our team came back and fought [is the highlight]. Nobody gave us a chance initially that we would be playing in a final, but the way we played that tournament was something different I think, and from there women’s cricket in India slowly and gradually picked up.
“And at this moment, we have our path to motivate generations and young girls to take up sport and that they have an option with cricket. I have to [keep emotions in check], I can’t come with all those emotions onto the cricket field, As a ruthless character, I have to come out and play hard cricket and give my best,” she added.
It was an emotional moment for the nation and the teammates. Captain Harmanpreet broke into tears during the farewell match of Jhulan Goswami.
Following his ‘friend and greatest rival’, Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup 2022.
Today was the final match of Roger Federer’s career and the Swiss tennis legend withdrew his name from the Laver Cup 2022 tournament. Moments later his friend and greatest rival Rafael Nadal followed him and withdrew from the event.
Nadal arrived in London, a day before his match alongside Federer. He straight up went to meet his teammates before going for the gala dinner. He could barely practice due to a shortage of time. The pair lost the final match of Federer’s glorious career to the Team World combination of Jack Sock and Frances Tiafoe.
Moments after the match, Nadal withdrew from the singles tie. He is replaced by Cameron Norrie in the lineup against Team World’s highest-ranked player Taylor Fritz.
The Laver Cup confirmed on Saturday morning: “Matteo Berrettini will be stepping in for Roger Federer: ‘I cannot wait to start.’ Additionally, Rafael Nadal withdrew for personal reasons. He will be replaced by Cameron Norrie.”
“I am not doing well. It’s been a tough time for me, I hardly slept, I was stressed. Luckily everything is okay and I was able to get here,” said Nadal in the post-match presser explaining the reason behind his withdrawal.
Emotional end to the glorious career of tennis star Roger Federer
The star tennis player, 20 times Grand slam champion, Roger Federer bid goodbye to his glorious tennis journey. Federer played his last match alongside long-time rival Rafael Nadal after announcing his retirement at the age of 41.
He described his tennis career as the ‘perfect journey’, despite losing the last match of his career and not getting a fairy tale ending. His final match was against Team World’s Frances Tiafoe and JACK Sock at a super crowded London’s O2 arena.
Federer was back on the court long after his knee injury in the 2021 Wimbledon Quarter Finals. He and Nadal won the first set but the opponents won in the end.
Federer and Nadal have been rivals for a very long time. But they were playing as a team in Federer’s last match.
“I’m happy, I’m not sad. It feels great to be here and I enjoyed tying my shoes one more time. Everything was the last time. The match was great, I couldn’t be happier. It’s been wonderful,” concluded Federer after the match.
After the match, Federer was overcome with emotions as he hugged his teammate Nadal and waved to the crowd. He broke into tears while addressing the arena.“Playing with Rafa on the same team and having the guys everybody here, all the legends ….thankyou,” said Federer. His parents, wife and four children joined him on the court.
Mathias accuses Paul of using witchcraft during Euro 2016
The Paul and Mathias Pogba saga took a new twist on Friday as the latter in a series of fresh videos accused the former of using witchcraft to summon ‘butterflies’ during the Euro 2016 final that featured France and Portugal.
A total of 30 new videos surfaced on Mathias’ social media accounts where he was seen labelling accusations against Paul and said that he used a witch doctor for years.
While it is not clear when the videos were made, it accuses the former Manchester United midfielder of taking help of the witch doctor who is close to his French footballer Alou Diarra and was introduced to him by Ivory coast international Serge Aurier.
He alleged that Paul paid the witch doctor a bi-monthly fee of €75,000 to €100,000 and used his services to cast spell on opposition teams. He also accused Paul of not sparing his teammates as well and alleged that he cast a curse on Kylian Mbappe too.
The former Guinea international in his video levelled allegations against the Juventus midfielder saying that he took the help of the witch doctor to win crucial matches including the Euro 2016 finals. He went on to add that the moths that swarmed Stade de France during the summit clash of the continental championship were summoned by Paul.
Legend’s Tennis League kick-starts with an opening ceremony
Legends Tennis League commences in New Delhi with an opening ceremony which was organised yesterday on 23 September 2022. The heavy rains did not stop the organisers and participating players of Legends Tennis League (LTL) to go ahead with the opening ceremony at RK Khanna Tennis Stadium. The league is being organised for Indian senior players who play on the ITF Masters Tour. More than 50 Masters players are playing in the league including those who have represented India in Davis Cup and Billie Jean King Cup competitions.
Former Davis Cupper and tennis coach Vivek Shokeen looked excited and exclaimed, “I think it’s a brilliant idea, we hope that it grows with more positive outcomes in the coming seasons. As it is happening for the very first time, that players of different age groups will get an opportunity to play, this would encourage them to participate. Moreover, they will be able to compete against different players and will simultaneously get chance to play doubles and mixed doubles. In tennis it’s a kind of unusual to see these kind of team events, so it’s a good start altogether and it will promote tennis in India definitely.”
Meanwhile, during the ceremony Delhi Lawn Tennis Association (DLTA) Administrator Colonel Ranbir Chauhan was the guest of honour for the opening ceremony. He was accompanied by LTL organisers Dilip Mohanty and Aditya Khanna.
“When Aditya (Khanna) told me about the idea behind organising Legends Tennis League, I immediately said yes. I am so proud of my team for staging this event. I thank all the players who are committed to playing this weekend. I am sure we are about to create beautiful moments on and off the court.” confessed Dilip Mohanty, the organiser LTL.
DLTA Administrator and the guest of honour Col Ranbir Chauhan appreciated the organisers “We must acknowledge the efforts of the organisers of the league. What a fantastic idea, a league for senior tennis players is ground breaking and it is our privilege hosting all the players.” he proclaimed.
The debut season of LTL consists of six teams: Akross Acers, Aviraj Warriors, Bangalore Challengers, Punjab Aces, Rebound Ace Stag Babolat Yoddhas and Tennis Titans.
The league features more than 50 players from age 30 to age 70. Former Davis Cup and Billie Jean King Cup players like Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan, Vivek Shokeen, Vijayant Malik and Radhika Tulpule-Kanitkar are among the players who are participating in this league. The players are divided into nine categories – Men’s Star Player, Men’s 35+, Men’s 40+, Men’s 45+ Stars, Men’s 45+ Kings, Men’s 55+, Men’s 60+, Men’s Wild Card and Women’s 35+.
Arjun moves into semis of Julius Baer rapid chess
Teen Indian Grandmaster Arjun Erigaisi eked out a narrow victory over USA’s Christopher Yoo in the quarterfinals to reach the semi-finals of the Julius Baer Generation Cup online rapid chess tournament on Friday.
Erigaisi locked in a battle with the 15-year-old Yoo clinching the victory in the tie-breaker to advance into the last four round of the tournament.
Starting the high-octane clash, it was the Indian who won the opening game but lost the next one. He then won the third one before losing the fourth to go into the tie-breaker.
However, in the blitz tie-break Erigaisi showed his class to win the first game and drew the second one to seal his spot in the next round.
Meanwhile, his compatriot R Praggnanandhaa, could not make it further into the tournament as he lost 1-3 to Germany’s Vincent Keymer.
Praggnanandhaa did not have the best of the starts in the quarterfinals and suffered a loss in the opening game. He drew the next two to stay in the hunt. The 17-year-old needing a win in the fourth game to take the encounter into the tie-break however suffered a 42-move defeat to bow out of the event.
Arjun would now take on Liem Quang Le of Vietnam in the semis who beat Hans Niemann of USA, while World champion Magnus Carlsen would face Keymer in the other last four duel. Carlsen, who had lost just once in the entire preliminary round, beat America’s Levon Aronian in the last eight round.
Opinion2 years ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking2 years ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Royally Speaking2 years ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219