My goal is to help 1 crore students let go fear of maths: World’s fastest human calculator - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

My goal is to help 1 crore students let go fear of maths: World’s fastest human calculator

Lokeswara Rao

Published

on

Neelakanta Bhanu Prakash.

His brain calculates quicker than the speed of a calculator. He says that breaking the records once held by math experts like Scott Flansburg and Shakuntala Devi is a matter of national pride. He is none other than 21-year-old B.Sc graduate Neelakanta Bhanu Prakash of Hyderabad.

Prakash has emerged as the fastest human calculator in the world after becoming the first Indian to win gold in the Mental Calculation World Championship at the Mind Sports Olympiad held in London. He completed his graduation in Mathematics from St Stephen’s College, Delhi recently, and holds four world records and 50 Limca Book records.

Prakash spoke to The Daily Guardian, telling the story about how he began his journey with the subject. Prakash hails from a middle-class background and his parents run a small food processing and jam business. An accident in his childhood had left him unable to move for a year. During that time, he picked up puzzles and focused on math to keep his brain active, and developed the skills he required to gain worldwide recognition.

 Speaking of his skills, he said, “I am not a performer. I am a graduate of St Stephen’s College of Delhi University. I have researched a lot on maths and psychology, and filed a couple of research papers on both subjects. I am not just a math geek, I am also interested in entrepreneurship and international trade. I help the Government of Telangana and other schools in educating children in math.”

Elaborating on his goals, he told The Daily Guardian, “The fear of math is the second biggest cause for dropouts — the first one being economic conditions. About 75 percent of students in India are scared of math due to a lack of understanding of the numbers. I am trying to create awareness among them and my goal is to get 1 crore students to let go of the fear of mathematics.” Prakash also said that Srinivasa Ramanujan and Shakuntala Devi inspired him to create a generation of mathematicians. He has already launched a start-up called “Exploring Infinities” to educate children. He has received some money through crowdfunding so far to support his ambitions.

After his win, Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu tweeted, “Compliments to Neelakantha Bhanu Prakash for winning the ‘world’s fastest human calculator’ title & clinching the first-ever gold for India in the Mental Calculation World Championship at Mind Sports Olympiad held in London recently.”

The Mental Calculation World Championship, or Mind Sports Olympiad, is a multidisciplinary annual competition with numerous mind games which test mental skills. The competition has been held every year since its inauguration in 1997. 

Prakash has also received congratulatory calls from the President of India and the PMO. Speaking about the importance of the subject for the nation, he said, “If maths is developed, other fields also get developed. For any country to develop globally, numeracy is as important a skill as literacy.”

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News

Pune: 15-year-old boy commits suicide for getting new phone

Published

on

By

Suicide

Due to his mother’s refusal to let him get a new phone, a 15-year-old boy committed suicide on Thursday in Baramati, Pune.

The boy, who was in Class 9, reportedly wanted to get a new phone for online studies, but his mother refused, and this made the child unhappy, so he decided to commit suicide. When he was home alone, he took a drastic step.

Arun Avchar, police inspector, Malegaon police station, said, “Prima facie, it appears that the child wanted a new phone and his mother refused. The neighbours and family members informed the Malegaon police about the incident. We reached the spot and sent his body for a post-mortem.”

A teacher from the child’s school said, “The boy died by suicide after school hours. His behaviour was normal. We had told him that there was no need for a new phone as offline classes have started, but he was not ready to listen.”

Malegaon police station has started an investigation and filed a case.

(A Pune-based non-profit organisation called Connecting strives to prevent suicide by offering help to those who are experiencing emotional distress by utilising the philosophy of mindfulness-based active listening. The toll-free hotlines are 1800-209-4353 and 9922001122, which are open daily from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Walk-in hours are Monday through Saturday from 12 to 5. Using Gmail to connect with an NGO.) 

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Woman arrested for eating at restaurant without hijab in Iran

Published

on

By

According to her family, a woman was arrested by the Iranian security forces for eating at a restaurant in public without a hijab.

Donya Rad was arrested after an image of her and another lady eating in a restaurant in Tehran without wearing headscarves went viral online, according to CNN.

The image, which surfaced on Wednesday, depicts the two ladies having breakfast at a cafe that, like the majority of cafés in Iran, is generally frequented by men.

According to Rad’s sister, security agencies contacted Donya and summoned her to explain her actions.

“After visiting the designated place she was arrested, after a few hours of no news, Donya told me in a short call that she was transferred to Ward 209 of Evin Prison,” her sister told CNN.

The dictatorship imprisons political dissidents in Tehran’s notoriously harsh Evin Prison, which is only intended for inmates under the control of Iran’s Intelligence Ministry.

According to reports, security officials have recently imprisoned a number of prominent Iranians, including the author and poet Mona Borzouei, the Iranian football star Hossein Mahini, and Faezeh Rafsanjani, the daughter of former Iranian President Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani.

According to the non-governmental organisation Iran Human Rights, Iranian artist Shervin Hajipour was also arrested this week after releasing a poignant song based on tweets shared by Iranians expressing their feelings about why people are demonstrating.

The song “For…” by Hajipour became extremely popular online, garnering millions of views and being extensively distributed among Iranians both inside and outside of their nation.

The killing of a Kurdish woman named Mahsa Amini sparked the country’s first anti-government protests.

Mahsa, 22, passed away in police custody after being arrested for reportedly wearing a “improper hijab,” in violation of Iran’s stringent laws regarding women’s attire.

The government crackdown has continued after almost two weeks of protests, with dozens dying in clashes between security forces. Iran Human Rights estimates that at least 83 people including children, are confirmed to have been killed in protests following the death of Mahsa Amini, reported CNN.

More than a thousand people connected to the protests have been detained as of last weekend. At least 28 journalists arrested were arrested as of Thursday, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.

In a statement released on Thursday, Amnesty International stated that they are “investigating the authorities’ mass arrests of protesters and bystanders, as well as journalists, political activists, lawyers, and human rights defenders, including women’s rights activists and those belonging to oppressed ethnic minority groups.”

Videos circulating on social media show protesters in the cities of Qom, Rasht, and Mashhad calling for the overthrow of the clerical establishment despite the rising death toll and a stern crackdown by the police, according to CNN report.

Continue Reading

Nation

‘If you want a change, choose me’ : Tharoor on Congress president poll

Published

on

By

Shashi Tharoor claims party's support

In the upcoming presidential election of the grand old party, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor reiterated on Saturday that his contest against senior party member Mallikarjun Kharge “is not a battle.” Following days of turmoil surrounding the intra-party troubles in Rajasthan, Tharoor and Kharge finally submitted their nominations for the crucial elections, which are set for October 17, on Friday.

“This is not a war. We can belong to different schools of thoughts. Let the members decide,” Tharoor told news agency ANI in an interview on Saturday. “All I am telling the members is  that if you’re satisfied with the functioning of the party, please vote for Kharge Sahab. But if you want a change, choose me.. If you want the party to function differently.”

His remarks came as news spread that the Gandhis were endorsing the 80-year-old Kharge for the top party position. On Saturday, Kharge announced his resignation as the opposition leader in the Rajya Sabha, a day after more than 30 leaders surprised many by end-of-nomination support for his candidacy. In contrast, Tharoor was not accompanied by as many senior leaders.

“But there is no ideological problem here. Whatever the message has so far of the Congress will continue to remain,” Shashi Tharoor said on Saturday, dismissing any differences.

Even though the Gandhis made it clear that they would no longer be running for president post, their management has continued to draw criticism. Regarding the family’s importance for the party in light of the BJP’s dynastic politics allegations.

Continue Reading

News

Student visa interviews to start from November by the US Embassy

Published

on

The US embassy in India has announced that interviews for the student visas will open from mid-November. Minister counselor for consular affairs at US Embassy, Don Heflin, said that the process of interviews will continue till the end of December.The announcement was made by Don Heflin while answering student visa queries for the United States related to waiting and processing time. He said, “We will open up for the first half in mid-October and for the second half in mid-November.”Last month, US missions in India said that record 82,000 student visas have been issued in 2022 so far, higher than in any previous year. Indian students received more American student visas than any other country, the missions added.Amid delays, foreign minister S Jaishankar also raised the issue of the huge backlog of US visa applications from India with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken.S Jaishankar said, “To the people who are concerned about the visa issues, I would like to give the message that I understand their anxiety and the urgency and which is precisely the reason why I took up the matter.”

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Iran : 19 people including guard colonel killed in anti-govt protest

Published

on

By

Iranian women chop off hair to mark protest over death of Mahsa Amini

In one of the deadliest clashes between police and protesters since Iran’s anti-government demonstrations began, nineteen people were killed on Friday. This was in response to the death of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old Kurdish woman who died in police custody after being arrested for allegedly disobeying Iran’s strict dress codes for women by donning an “improper hijab.”

Iranian protesters and police had a violent confrontation in southeastern Iran. The confrontation happened as worshippers from Iran’s Sunni minority left Friday prayers at the Makki Grand Mosque in Zahedan, capital of Sistan and Balochistan province, reported Voice of America (VOA).

“Nineteen people were killed and 20 injured in the incident,” regional governor Hossein Khiabani told the state broadcaster.

“Provincial intelligence officer of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps Colonel Ali Mousavi was also killed,” state television added.

Iranian state media earlier on Friday stated that security personnel had retaliated after armed men attacked a police station in the provincial capital of Zahedan.

The protesters were labeled as terrorists and separatists by the Iranian state media, who also charged them with shooting guns at police.

Continue Reading

Auto & Tech

Using 5G technology, PM Modi test drives a car from Delhi in Europe

Published

on

5G

Using the newly launched 5G technology, Prime Minister Narendra Modi conducted a test drive of a car in Europe from Delhi’s Pragati Maidan on Saturday. Union minister Piyush Goyal tweeted the photo and wrote, “India driving the world’.PM Modi inaugurated the India Mobile Congress 2022 exhibition before he launched the 5G mobile telephony services in India. At the exhibition, he visited the pavilions of the different telecom operators to experience the first-hand experience of the 5G technology.PM Modi was briefed about the technology by Mukesh Ambani and Akash Ambani at Reliance Jio stalls.Then PM Modi went to the stalls of Airtel, Vodafone Idea, C-DOT and others.Union telecom minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said, “Telecom is the gateway, the foundation of Digital India. It is the mode to bring digital services to every person.”Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani promised to deliver 5G to every town, every taluka by December 2023. He said, “I can say we are ready to take leadership and Indian Mobile Congress should now become Asian Mobile Congress & Global Mobile Congress. India may have started a little late, but will finish first.”

Continue Reading

Trending