Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will launch the flagship ‘Gruha Jyothi’ scheme on August 5 at N.V. Ground Kalaburgi, Karnataka Energy Minister KJ George said. K J George held a press conference on Tuesday on ‘Gruha Jyothi’ launch scheme and said that the programme would be launched by the Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Rajya Sabha Opposition Leader Mallikarjuna Kharge, Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar, IT and BT, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj minister Priyanka Kharge and other senior Cabinet colleagues will also be present.
‘Gruha Jyothi,’ will provide free electricity to households of up to 200 units of electricity free of cost. The scheme has wide-ranging benefits that will see reduced electricity costs, improved standard of living, household development and future sustainability, Energy Minister said.
More than 1.42 crore households will be benefitted from the Gruha Jyothi scheme in August, the first month of its implementation. Only those who have applied before July 27 are eligible to get the benefit on their electricity consumption for the month of July, Minister added.
Similarly, they can apply at any time and get the benefits from the month after that. Of the 1.42 crore applicants, close to 18 lakhs were received from beneficiaries of various existing schemes such as Bhagya Jyothi, Kuteera Jyothi and Amrut Jyothi, the Energy Minister added.
An average calculation process of one year has been done for the estimation of the monthly electricity consumption of 2.14 crore household consumers. Considering the average consumption for the 2022- 2023 financial year, monthly usage will be calculated for each consumer by giving an additional 10 per cent on their average use. However, the maximum free electricity usage cap is restricted to 200 units.
If the fixed average unit of electricity consumed per household is less than 200 units, the household consumer need not pay any fee. If the unit is used more than the average, only the extra unit will be charged. However, if more than 200 units are used, the full fee will have to be paid.
Gaurav Gupta, Additional Chief Secretary to the Government of Karnataka, Energy & Infrastructure, Pankaj Kumar Pandey, Managing Director Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd and Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Ltd, Mr Mahantesh Bilagi, Managing Director, BESCOM and other department senior officials were also present.
• Leader of Opposition Mallikarjuna Kharge, Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar and Energy Minister KJ George to grace the event
• 1.42 crore households will be benefitted from the Gruha Jyothi scheme in August 2023
• Those who have applied before July 27 are eligible to get the benefit on their electricity consumption for July 2023 from August 2023
• The scheme focus is on inclusivity and empowerment of people.
Key Details of Gruha Jyothi Scheme
• Up to 200 Units of free electricity to all household consumers in the state.
• 1.42 crore households will be benefitted from the Gruha Jyothi scheme in August 2023.
• Kuteera Jyothi, Bhagya Jyothi, Amrut Jyothi all put together 18,12,452 households have been benefitted.
• The scheme will not be applicable to commercial consumers.
• Taking the average consumption for the 2022- 2023 financial year, monthly usage will be calculated for each consumer by giving an additional 10 per cent on their average use. However, the maximum usage of the electricity cap is restricted to 200 units.
• Monthly bills will be generated for the consumers after taking monthly meter readings.
• If the consumption of units is used within their average monthly consumption ratio, consumers will get zero bills; they need not pay the bill.
• If consumers use more than average consumption limits, bills will be generated to only differences of units excluding fixed energy charges and Fuel and Power Purchase Cost Adjustment (FPPAC )Charges.
• If consumers’ monthly average usage exceeds 200 units, they have to pay the total amount of the bill.
• Consumers who want to avail of the scheme must apply through the Seva Sindhu portal.
• Consumers must link their Aadhar numbers with the Customer ID or Account ID mentioned in the bill.
• Existing Bhagya Jyothi/ Kutira Jyothi and Amrutha Jyothi beneficiaries will be linked to the newly launched Gruha Jyothi scheme.
• If consumers fail to pay their arrears within three months, their connections will be disconnected.
• For proper implementation of the scheme, separate guidelines will be issued soon.
• The government will pay the Gruha Jyothi subsidy amount and FPPAC amounts to all ESCOMs in advance to implement the scheme and this will not have a financial burden on the Energy Department.