John Oliver weighs in on Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's interview with Oprah Winfrey - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

Lifestyle & Entertainment

John Oliver weighs in on Meghan Markle, Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey

Published

on

Washington [US], March 16 (ANI): British comedian and talk show host John Oliver recently weighed in on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s blockbuster CBS interview with Oprah Winfrey, while appearing on ‘The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon’.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, not long after John’s 2018 remarks on Meghan went viral for appearing to predict troubles that she would face with the royal family, he spoke with the ‘The Tonight Show’ host Jimmy Fallon and opened up about the recent Oprah interview. During that bombshell interview, the royal couple had detailed some of the hurdles they faced early on in their marriage.
Calling the CBS interview “amazing,” Oliver said, “I didn’t find any of it surprising. That is kind of what I felt like, sadly, her experience was going to be going in.”
He said he drew this conclusion from simply observing the royal family from a distance while he was growing up and added that “they seem like flawed people. That’s literally the kindest way I could possibly put it.”
When Fallon asked Oliver as to whether anything “shocked” him about the interview, Oliver responded, “The only thing that shocked me after was that Oprah, the next day, saying ‘Harry wants to make clear it wasn’t Prince Philip being racist.’ Which made me think, really? Okay, that is actually surprising.”
Speaking about if the royal family will evolve as a result of the interview and its public response, Oliver argued and said that the “whole selling point” of the family is “that it doesn’t change.”
He further said that this selling point has now become more of a liability, because “as years go by, you realize that not changing is not entirely a good thing because that means the times might be changing around you and you are refusing to evolve,” though he suggested that the royal family “obviously should” change with the times.
Concluding his remarks jokingly about Prince Andrew, who has come under fire for his personal relationship with Jeffrey Epstein, he said, “The one person who I think has been really happy about all this has been Prince Andrew.”
He concluded, “I’m guessing that he has been nudging the royal family: ‘Can you believe what Meghan did, huh? Can you believe it? Dragging this family’s name into disrepute, shaming us…. she has ruined our reputation, she has, right guys?”
Back in 2018, while talking to The Late Show’s host Stephen Colbert about Meghan’s marriage to Prince Harry, Oliver had said, “I don’t think you need to have just seen the pilot episode of The Crown to get a basic sense that she might be marrying into a family that could cause her some emotional complications.”
He had added, “They’re an emotionally stunted group of fundamentally flawed people doing a very silly pseudo job.”
During the recent March 7 interview with Oprah, Meghan spoke about her struggle with suicidal thoughts, while dealing with a demanding role in the royal family as well as aggressive tabloid coverage.
As per The Hollywood Reporter, Meghan revealed that she had requested professional help from the royal family but was denied. She also alleged that she heard from Harry while pregnant with her first child, Archie, that there had been “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”
Meghan and Harry’s CBS special with Oprah marked the couple’s first joint interview since their royal exit, which was recently made permanent. In the interview, the duo discussed the reasons behind their decision to step back from their royal duties, which they had first announced in January 2020. (ANI)

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

Lifestyle & Entertainment

JACQUELINE SHARES SELFIE OF HERSELF RESTING AT HOME, URGES PEOPLE TO STAY SAFE

Published

on

MUMBAI: Back to spending time at home amid the coronavirus-induced lockdown, Bollywood star Jacqueline Fernandez on Wednesday posted a stunning monochromatic photo from her home, urging people to stay safe.The ‘Kick’ actor posted a gorgeous picture on Instagram of herself resting in a chair. The picture shows the ‘Aladdin’ actor in a thigh-length jumpsuit and a messy bun. She is seen seated in her room taking rest during the lockdown.

Fernandez captioned the post as “Back to this.. stay safe everyone (and added a joined hands emoticon).”

Celebrity followers including Vaani Kapoor and more than 4.9 lakh fans liked the post on the photo-sharing platform, while many chimed into the comments section and dropped red heart and fire emoticons as they adored the lovable photo.

Of late, the actor has been quite active on social media and has been updating fans on her activities by posting pictures and videos. Earlier, the ‘Brothers’ star shared a picture after her physiotherapy. She shared a photo that showcased the cupping marks down her back when posing for a mirror selfie.Currently, the actor is spending time with her kittens at her home amid the coronavirus-induced lockdown.Meanwhile, 58,924 new COVID-19 cases were reported in Maharashtra in the last 24 hours, according to the state health ministry. As many as 52,412 people recovered in the said period and 351 died. The total case tally reached 38,98,262 while the death toll reached 60,824.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

ALL NEW AMAZON ORIGINAL ‘LOL – HASSE TOH PHASSE’ TRAILER UNVEILED

Published

on

MUMBAI: Amazon Prime Video, unveiled the official trailer of the all-new Amazon Original Series ‘LOL- Hasse Toh Phasse’. This local edition of the International Amazon Original Series LOL, will unite an eclectic group of comedians who have left their own indelible mark on India’s comedy landscape. Aadar Malik, Aakash Gupta, Aditi Mittal, Ankita Shrivastav, Cyrus Broacha, Gaurav Gera, Kusha Kapila, Mallika Dua, Sunil Grover and Suresh Menon, under the vigilant watch of hosts Arshad Warsi and Boman Irani will face their toughest challenge yet!

Perhaps for the first time, it’s not just their sense of humor but also their endurance which will be tested as they battle it out for six consecutive hours, to make the others in the house laugh, while maintaining a poker face themselves! The goal is to be the last one laughing in the room, and the person who keeps a straight face the longest will eventually win the game. Prime Members in Indian and across 240 countries and territories can binge-watch the show starting 30th April, 2021 exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

MADHURI DIXIT PERFORMS TO VIRAL ‘BAJRE DA SITTA’ TREND

Published

on

NEW DELHI: Bollywood star Madhuri Dixit recently became the latest addition to the viral ‘Bajre Da Sitta’ trend. The actor shared a gorgeous video of her performing to the popular song and giving priceless expressions.Madhuri took to her Instagram handle and shared a short clip in which she performed the viral song, flaunting her pre and post glow up looks. She captioned the post as, “On trend with #BajreDaSitta.” In the video shared by the 53-year-old actor, she could be seen lip-syncing to the song while sitting in her green room right before her makeover. Later in the clip, after the star’s dramatic transformation, she is seen clad in a light and dark pink lehenga. Madhuri also wore drop diamond earrings and a necklace, with her hair tied into a bun.

Meanwhile, on the work front, the ‘Dhak-Dhak’ girl of Bollywood will be debuting in the digital world through the suspenseful family drama series by Netflix titled ‘Finding Anamika’. The plot of the series revolves around the story of a global superstar, wife, and mom who suddenly vanishes without a trace. As police and loved ones search for answers to her disappearance, her perfectly crafted facade is stripped away, revealing hidden truths and painful lies in the life of an iconic actress. 

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

AYUSHMANN CELEBRATES DAUGHTER VARUSHKA’ BIRTHDAY WITH A THROWBACK PICTURE

Published

on

NEW DELHI: Bollywood actor Ayushmann Khurrana, on Wednesday celebrated his daughter Varushka Khurrana’s 7th birthday by sharing an endearing post of her on social media.The ‘Dum Laga Ke Haisha’ actor took to his Instagram handle and shared a throwback picture of his baby girl from their last trip to the Bahamas, before the COVID pandemic in 2020. Along with it, he penned an endearing caption that read, “Happy birthday little one. The most diligent one in the family. A voracious reader and a disciplined learner. How have you become like that? That too so early in life. You need to chill ok. Always be true to this pic. This was our last international trip. Jan 2020. Nassau. Bahamas.”

Varushka’s mother Tahira Kashyap also shared a heartfelt note for the birthday girl with a happy picture from their lowkey celebration at their residence.She wrote, “Given the circumstances I know seeing the world upside down makes more sense! Happy birthday little one, this is the second consecutive birthday in a lockdown, really wish the world becomes normal so that you can share the small pleasures of a broken tooth and a bruised knee with your friends! Love you with all my being.”The picture shared by Tahira captured Varushka laughing out loud at their plush balcony while she is held upside down, surrounded by colourful balloons.

Meanwhile, Ayushmann, who made his Bollywood debut with the 2012 film ‘Vicky Donor’, has delivered a string of hits in the past couple of years. He currently has many upcoming projects in his kitty including ‘Anek’, ‘Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui’ and ‘Doctor G’.Ayushmann was last seen in Shoojit Sircar’s ‘Gulabo Sitabo’, alongside Amitabh Bachchan.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

SALMAN KHAN’S ‘RADHE’ CONFIRMED FOR MULTIPLE PLATFORMS RELEASE ON EID

Published

on

Keeping up with the promise of an Eid release, Bollywood superstar Salman Khan’s movie ‘Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai’ is all set to make it to the theatres and digital platforms on May 13. The trailer of the film is slated to drop tomorrow.

The digital release of ‘Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai’, however, won’t be available for free. The makers have taken the pay-per-view route, which means that the audience will have to pay a certain amount to watch the movie at their homes. This would not be a part of their subscription to OTT platforms. The makers of the film, on Wednesday, shared the mega release plan on their Instagram handle, along with a poster of the upcoming movie. They wrote, “The perfect Eid celebration! #Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai, releasing simultaneously on multiple platforms worldwide. #RadheThisEid.”

Film critic and movie trade analyst Taran Adarsh also confirmed the same on his Twitter handle by tweeting, “#RADHE IN CINEMAS AND DIGITAL MEDIUMS ON SAME DAY… #SalmanKhan’s #Radhe will release simultaneously in cinemas and digital mediums [pay per view] on 13 May 2021… Trailer drops tomorrow.”

ZEE Studios will be the first studio in India to be adopting a multi-format release worldwide. Speaking on this Shariq Patel, CBO, Zee Studios shared, “The ongoing pandemic forced us to innovate, and we are proud to be the first to embark upon this new distribution strategy. While we all love to catch the latest movies at the nearest theatres, we realized we’d be doing a disservice to Salman’s fans nationwide if we aren’t able to release theatrically in all Indian states. We sensed the need for a pay-per-view solution along with theatres, which gives the consumers flexibility and convenience of viewing the film.”

He further continued, “There cannot be a better film than Radhe to offer the audiences who’ve been waiting for an out and out entertainer for over a year now. Radhe continues our network’s deep relationship with Salman Khan and we are looking to release the film in over 40 countries including theatrical release in major overseas markets.”Salman Khan Films’ spokesperson added, “It’s imperative that we all come together and think of out-of-the-box solutions for cinema as an industry during the current pandemic situation. We will support the theatre owners by releasing the film in as many theatres as we can, keeping in line with the rules and protocols laid down by the government. But, considering the guidelines and safety measures, we also need to devise ways to ensure that the film reaches all of our audience. We don’t want to deny the audience the choice of entertainment in the comfort of their homes during these times.”

The film will be released on ZEE’s pay-per-view service ZEEPlex which rests on India’s leading OTT platform ZEE5 and also on all leading DTH operators. The actor, along with his studio partner Zee Studios, have opted for this hybrid release model given the rise in coronavirus cases across the country.‘Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai’ will also have a theatrical release and will be available in theaters in all Indian states where the theaters are operational as per COVID protocols. A wide international theatrical release targeting 40 countries across all international territories is also being planned. It will be the first Bollywood film to release theatrically in the UK since the lockdown last year.The action flick by the Yash Raj Films banner, directed by Prabhudeva, was earlier scheduled to release on Eid 2020, but it could not see the light of the day due to the closing of film theatres owing to coronavirus-induced lockdown.

The movie will see Salman Khan romancing Disha Patani. The flick also features Jackie Shroff and Randeep Hooda. ‘Radhe’ is co-produced by Salman Khan, Sohail Khan, and Atul Agnihotri under the banners Salman Khan Films, in association with Zee Studios, Sohail Khan Productions, and Reel Life Production.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

OSCARS ATTENDEES WILL NOT WEAR FACE MASKS DURING CEREMONY

Published

on

WASHINGTON : The 2021 Oscars won’t make face masks a requirement during its live ceremony, which is scheduled to take place this Sunday.

As per Variety, the Academy is not asking Oscar attendees to wear face masks while cameras will rolling during the live ceremony. The news was announced on Monday morning during a Zoom meeting with Academy representatives and nominees, and studio and personal publicists. Because the ceremony—being held at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles—is being treated as a TV/film production, masks are not required for people on camera, an Academy staffer explained.

However, when guests are not on camera, they are being asked to wear masks. Oscars co- producer Steven Soderbergh remained mum on face-mask protocol during a press conference with co-producers Jesse Collins and Stacey Sher. He said on Saturday that masks would play “a very important role in the story”. “If that’s cryptic, it’s meant to be,” he added. “That topic is very central to the narrative.”

Continue Reading

Trending