New Delhi [India], March 7 (ANI): From being an efficient homemaker to running a campaign, launching an initiative, reporting an achievement, and many more, women have proven their mettle in every sphere across the world.
International Women’s Day is observed to celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. Every year, the day is observed on March 8 with the purpose to support a platform that helps forge positive change for women.
Be it any field, ladies have never left any stone unturned to prove themselves. To commemorate the occasion, let’s celebrate womanhood by taking a look back at those ladies who ‘chose to challenge’ and crossed all the hurdles with flying colours.
1. Priyanka Chopra: Also known as the golden girl, shining worldwide, Priyanka has built a name for herself thanks to her astonishing acting skills and leadership potential. Her dialogue, “I want to create a legacy”, cannot be ignored when she leaves everyone spellbound with her performances and projects.
She rose to fame when she won the Miss World 2000 pageant, despite being bullied several times for her appearance. Making her way to Hollywood, Priyanka has several accolades under her belt which includes Padma Shri, one of India’s highest civilian awards. She was also named one of the world’s most influential people by TIME magazine and listed as one of the most powerful women by Forbes.
Alongside her acting, the global star is also an author, a producer, and a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador where she has worked on causes including child rights, environment, health, education, and gender equalities.
2. Sushmita Sen: The first Miss Universe of India, Sushmita Sen is no less than a wonder woman. Facing all the scandals and societal pressures alone, she is a single parent to two adorable daughters whom she adopted at the time when her career was at its peak.
Fighting the societal pressures when adopting two daughters was against the law, she held her ground with such grace. After her comeback to the silver screen with more than ten years, she enthralled audiences with her magical onscreen appearance and bagged many accolades such as the Filmfare award, Dadasaheb Phalke award, and more. Her famous quote, “I don’t need a man to buy me diamonds, I can own them by myself” is still one of the most inspirational quotes by any celebrity.
3. Avani Chaturvedi: The youngest Indian Air Force flying officer, Avani Chaturvedi became the first Indian woman fighter pilot to fly MiG-21 Bison, solo. MiG-21 Bison is known as a fighter plane that has the highest take-off and landing speed in the world with a speed of 340kph. She truly is an inspiration to many young women out there.
4. Shakuntala Devi: Proclaimed as the ‘Human Computer’, was an Indian woman who holds the 1982 ‘Guinness Book of World Record’ for being able to solve insanely large mental mathematical calculations. The most surprising fact is that Shankutala did this without any formal education.
Belonging to a family where her father was a circus master, she demonstrated her skills and talent to the whole world. This amazing woman also joined politics where she dared to stand against the then Prime Minister of India, Smt Indira Gandhi.
In addition to her work as a mental calculator, Shakuntala was a notable astrologer and an author of several books, including cookbooks and novels. She started with writing short stories and murder mysteries and had a keen interest in music.
5. Mary Kom: Who can forget ‘Magnificient Mary’ when it comes to listing inspirational women. The five-time World Amateur Boxing Champion hailed from a small family of North East India. She is the only woman boxer to have bagged a medal in all six world championships, becoming the first Indian woman boxer to win a Gold medal in the Asian Games.
The 2014 biopic titled ‘Mary Kom’, in which Priyanka Chopra portrayed the lead role, efficiently showed the boxer’s struggles where she chose to challenge and stand against all the odds for her country.
6. Neerja Bhanot: Who says that bravery can only be defined with somebody with good knowledge of weapons. Neerja Bhanot, the 22-year-old flight attendant, who sacrificed her life while saving passengers from terrorists on board a hijacked plane is no less than an example of a ‘woman who chose to challenge’.
The 2016 biopic titled ‘Neerja’, in which Bollywood actor Sonam Kapoor essayed the lead role, shows all the odds that the martyr stood against to engrave her name in the golden book of history.
7. Laxmi Agarwal: An acid survivor, who is an inspiration for many women to fight for their dreams, is also the founder of an NGO named ‘Chhanv Foundation’, which helps victims of acid attacks.
Laxmi has motivated women time and again by showing them that their hard work can do wonders. The acid attack survivor has proved that there is no limit to what women can achieve in this world.
‘Chhapaak’, which released in 2020, saw Deepika Padukone play the role of the acid attack survivor. The movie showcased Laxmi’s struggles and achievements beautifully.
8. Michelle Obama: The first African-American First Lady of the United States, who is an inspiration to many, is also a lawyer and author. During the Barack Obama presidency, she was the organiser of many notable campaigns and initiatives that were meant to fight social evils and hence led to spreading awareness in the country.
9. Malala Yousafzai: The fearless woman, who is a human rights activist, is also a Nobel Prize winner. She received the award at the young age of 17. Malala was shot at the age of 15 by a Taliban gunman because she wanted to study. Standing against all the odds, she chose to challenge the societal laws and lived up to her heroic story, and became a proponent of female education.
10. Oprah Winfrey: Dubbed the ‘Queen of All Media’, Oprah Winfrey is an exceptional woman who survived as a rape victim in her childhood. She is a fearless lady who is a benevolent billionaire, giving gazillions to charity.
She is also an author who has been inspiring millions of people around the globe with her leadership rules. Her famous quote, “Turn your wounds into wisdom,” inspires many and motivates younger ladies to live up to the ground and become a person who can ‘choose to challenge’ the world.
This was just a quick look back at the ladies who are a living example of women empowerment. There are many women who have challenged the world and stood against all the odds to prove their potential. This International Women’s Day, may the glorified womanhood flourish to set more examples for the world to follow.
The theme of this year’s International Women’s Day is ‘choose to challenge’. (ANI)
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
DEEPIKA PADUKONE DROPS AESTHETIC MONOCHROME PICTURE
NEW DELHI: Bollywood actor Deepika Padukone on Sunday treated her fans to an aesthetic monochrome picture of her that had a chiaroscuro effect on it.
Deepika took to her Instagram handle and shared the picture that featured her silhouette, while she stood behind translucent curtains. Though she did not write anything in the caption, she dropped a half-moon emoji there. Her husband and actor Ranveer Singh was blown away by his wife’s beauty and commented “Gorg” on her post.
Not just Ranveer, fans also showered love on Deepika’s photo, with many dropping heart, heart-eyes and fire emojis. “So beautiful ji,” one wrote, while another said, “You are heart.” A third one added, “Sunshine on the gloomy day.”
Meanwhile, on the film front, Deepika will be seen next in Shakun Batra’s yet-to-be-titled film.
The actor also has an impressive line-up of projects in the pipeline including ‘83’, ‘Baiju Bawra’, ‘Fighter’, ‘Sanki’, ‘Pathan’, and ‘K’, which is the Indian adaptation of Nancy Meyers’s 2015 hit Hollywood film ‘The Intern’, and will also feature megastar Amitabh Bachchan.
RANVEER SHARES LIGHT MOMENT WITH DHONI
MUMBAI: Superstar Ranveer Singh and former Indian national cricket team skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who are part of the All-Stars Football Club, were spotted playing football together at a stadium in Mumbai. After their gaming session, Ranveer took to his Instagram handle and posted a picture with Dhoni. The duo can be seen sitting on the ground and sharing a light moment. In his post, the actor showered love on MSD, indicating that how much he admires the legendary cricketer.
“Bade bhai ke charno mein hamesha. My Jaan,” Ranveer captioned the Instagram post. Ranveer, known to be a lover of sports, also posted a photograph with cricketer Shreyas Iyer, who took part in the match. The ‘Ram-Leela’ actor also heaped praise on Iyer as he wrote, “There was no other way to stop him (Shreyas).” Meanwhile, on the work front, Ranveer will be seen in a cricketer avatar in Kabir Khan’s ‘83’ film, which is based on India’s iconic win at the 1983 Cricket World Cup.
KANGANA GIVES GLIMPSE OF HER ‘DHAAKAD’ FIGHT
MUMBAI: Actor Kangana Ranaut is preparing hard for her role in the upcoming film ‘Dhaakad’. On Sunday, Kangana took to Instagram Story and posted a video of her rehearsing fight moves for ‘Dhaakad’.
“Ladako number 1, Baaghi ladki #Dhaakad rehearsals,” she captioned the clip.
For the unversed, Kangana is currently in Budapest for the above-mentioned movie, which is being helmed by Razneesh Ghai.
Arjun Rampal and Divya Dutta are also a part of ‘Dhaakad’, which is based on issues like child trafficking and crimes against women. Apart from ‘Dhaakad’, Kangana will also be seen in ‘’Thalaivi’ — based on the life of late politician Jayalalithaa.
PRIYA BAPAT STARRER CITY OF DREAMS SEASON 2 TRAILER RELEASED
The trailer for the much-awaited City of Dreams season 2 starring Priya Bapat is out and the series will release on July 30. The Priya Bapat starrer City of Dreams Season One was a runaway hit and was one of the finest web series from India. Priya Bapat played a girl who went from being a housewife to be a leader and she portrayed that with absolute conviction. It was directed by decorated director Nagesh Kukoonoor.
Season 2 will see a see-saw battle of power between Priya Bapat and Atul Kulkarni from the looks of the poster. The cast also includes Sachin Pilgaonkar, Sushant Singh, and Eijaz Khan. The trailer for Season 2 has been received with a rousing welcome and it goes on to show the kind of love season one garnered.
Priya Bapat spoke to The Daily Guardian and here is what she says, “It’s an intense show with some incredible performances. I am so happy, proud, and lucky to be doing such a project. A huge thanks to my director Nagesh Kukoonoor sir for placing his trust in me. The trailer for Season 2 is out now and the series would be coming on July 30 and I can’t contain my happiness”.
“The audience reaction and feedback for Season 1 have given me such validation and fulfillment as an actor. The satisfaction is huge. There are some seriously good actors in it and some legendary names. And it’s all like one happy family. The trailer has got some great feedback and it’s time for the show to come. Stay safe and much love to all,” she further added.
Priya Bapat made her debut with Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar. She is also remembered for her roles in Munnabhai MBBS and Lage Raho Munnabhai. Her role in Kaksparsh and Timepass 2 acclaimed her good response from critics.
AKSHAY REMEMBERS CAPT VIKRAM BATRA, SHARES THE TRAILER OF ‘SHERSHAAH’
NEW DELHI: The power-packed trailer of Sidharth Malhotra’s upcoming movie based on the life of Param Vir Chakra awardee Captain Vikram Batra was released on Sunday.
Sharing the trailer, superstar Akshay Kumar penned a heartfelt note in remembrance of the Kargil war hero.
Taking to his Instagram handle, Akshay shared the much-awaited trailer with his fans and followers. Sharing the video and praising Sidharth for playing the war hero, he wrote, “Shershaah Trailer. What possible tribute can a reel hero give to a real hero.” Continuing with the caption, the National-Award-winning actor further noted, “Except to say that your sacrifice inspired us for life, Param Vir Chakra Awardee Captain Vikram Batra!”
Akshay added that he had always felt honoured that he shares his birthday with the war hero that is- 9th September. “And now feel privileged to share the trailer of #Shershaah that will tell the story of your heroic sacrifice to millions of us. Jai hind!”, Akshay said.
‘Shershash’ is a true story of Kargil war hero, Captain Vikram Batra who died during the war in 1999. The movie has been helmed by Vishnu Varadhan while Karan Johar, Hiroo Johar, Apoorva Mehta, Shabbir Boxwala, Ajay Shah, and Himanshu Gandhi are producing the film. Kiara Advani who will be seen playing the love interest of Sidharth will portray Dimple Cheema in the film that will release on 12 August on Amazon Prime Video.
ANGAD BEDI, MOUNI ROY’S NEW SONG ‘BAITHE BAITHE’ TO RELEASE ON 28 JULY
MUMBAI : Actors Angad Bedi and Mouni Roy will be seen together in an upcoming music video titled ‘Baithe Baithe’.
Taking to Instagram, Angad shared that the new song will be out on July 28. He also unveiled the first poster of the song, wherein he and Mouni are seen dressed up in ethnic attires.
“Do you believe in love at first sight? Baithe Baithe releasing on 28th July 2021,” Angad wrote. ‘Baithe Baithe’ is sung by Stebin Ben, Danish Sabri and Aishwarya Pandit. Meet Bros have composed the love track.
Mouni has also shared the poster of the song on her Instagram handle. With the announcement, congratulatory messages and best wishes have poured in for the actors. “Congrats beauty,” actor Vidya Malwade commented.“Best of luck. Can’t wait to hear the song,” a fan commented.
On the film front, Mouni will be seen in ‘Brahmastra’ and ‘Bole Chudiya’. The details of Angad’s upcoming film and shows projects have not been announced yet.
Opinion9 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports1 year ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News1 year ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking11 months ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
News1 year ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports1 year ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
Legally Speaking1 year ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
Royally Speaking10 months ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur