Ranveer Allahbadia, who hosts the podcast The Ranveer Show, has promised the Supreme Court that he will maintain decency in his content. The action follows his offensive comments on the India’s Got Latent show that sparked widespread outrage. Senior advocate Abhinav Chandrachud filed the undertaking on behalf of Allahbadia, as per the court’s instructions.
Allahbadia Seeks Passport Release for Work
Chandrachud also asked for a relaxation of the court’s condition on limiting Allahbadia’s use of his passport, citing international travel as being essential to his work. He stated that several of Allahbadia’s interviews involved multiple face-to-face meetings prior to the final recording.
But the court was apprehensive that granting him permission to travel abroad might hamper the investigation. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing on behalf of the Maharashtra and Assam governments, told the bench that the investigation would be completed within two weeks. The court said it would consider Allahbadia’s passport release application after this time frame.
Controversy and Legal Action
Allahbadia’s provocative “parents’ sex” comment had caused a huge furore, with BJP and opposition leaders calling for action against him. FIRs were filed multiple times, and he had to face the Mumbai Cyber Police last month.
The Supreme Court initially prohibited Allahbadia from broadcasting any content pertaining to the sub-judice cases against him. It also broadened the scope of the case, asking the Centre to prepare a regulatory framework for social media content.
In February, the court granted him interim protection from arrest but criticized his comments, calling them vulgar and that he had a “dirty mind.”
Court Gives Podcast Go-Ahead With Conditions
The Supreme Court on March 3 gave Allahbadia the go-ahead to continue The Ranveer Show, subject to keeping up with standards of “morality and decency.” Under continuing legal scrutiny, everyone is watching how the podcaster manages these limits while persisting with his content.