Categories: India

Child injured as Assam family’s vehicle attacked amid KSU rally violence in Shillong

Published by
Tushar Sharma

An Assam family travelling to Shillong for a leisure trip was caught in sudden violence on Wednesday, August 19, when their vehicle was allegedly attacked during a black-flag motorcycle rally organised by the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) in the Meghalaya capital.

The family’s car was extensively vandalised. Its windows, windscreen and rear glass were smashed. A child inside the vehicle was injured by shattered glass.

A video of the incident circulated widely, showing the damaged vehicle and the distressed father describing the attack. “They attacked our vehicle out of nowhere. My child was inside and has been injured. Glass pieces pierced him,” the father said while pointing to the destruction.

The family said they were travelling normally towards Shillong when the attack took place without warning.

Police and reports indicated that at least 31 vehicles were damaged during the unrest. Masked individuals were seen targeting vehicles along the rally route, including private cars, government vehicles and those bearing Assam registration plates.

Some participants allegedly raised pro-KSU slogans, though the identities and organisational affiliations of those responsible have not been independently confirmed. Several people were assaulted and injured. At least two government vehicles were set ablaze. Statues of Swami Vivekananda and Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at the Relief and Rehabilitation Colony were also vandalised.

The black-flag bike rally was organised by the KSU to press a five-point charter of demands submitted to Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma earlier this month. The demands include implementation of the Meghalaya Residents Safety and Security Act, regulation of migrant workers, reforms in government recruitment, action on issues at NEIGRIHMS, and opposition to a proposed cement project.

The student body had given the government a 15-day ultimatum, which it said had expired without an adequate response.

A driver from Assam who went to Shillong with his family to roam speaking to The Sunday Guardian said that his vehicle was vandalised and damaged. He questioned how attackers could specifically target people from Assam and their vehicles.

“Now who will pay for the damage of my vehicle? Will the Assam government pay? Will the Meghalaya government pay?” he asked, voicing the anxiety shared by many transport operators and tourists who regularly use the busy Assam-Meghalaya road links.

The reported selective targeting of Assam-registered vehicles triggered strong reactions across the border. On Thursday, Assam-based cab drivers and transport workers staged protests at Jorabat, a critical entry point between the two states.

They restricted the movement of Meghalaya-registered vehicles into Assam and demanded accountability, compensation and safety guarantees. Heavy security was deployed to prevent any escalation. Several tourist vehicles from Assam were stranded, while concerns grew over the impact on inter-state transport and tourism.

Motor vehicle workers’ unions in Assam condemned the attacks and expressed concern over the safety of drivers, passengers and tourists.

In Meghalaya, six tourism bodies including the Tour Operators Association of Meghalaya and the Federation of Shillong Hotels issued a joint statement condemning the violence and vandalism. They warned that the incidents could damage Meghalaya’s image as a safe destination, lead to cancellations and hurt livelihoods dependent on tourism.

The groups questioned the adequacy of security arrangements despite official permission for the rally. They also called for peaceful democratic protest rather than confrontation.

Late on Wednesday night, police arrested three senior KSU leaders—president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar. They were booked under provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita related to damage to public property, assault and other offences.

The arrests followed a police raid on the KSU office in Jaiaw, during which tear gas was reportedly used. The KSU expressed regret over the violence but claimed that miscreants had infiltrated the rally to discredit the organisation and derail its demands.

The East Khasi Hills district administration denied permission for a proposed KSU sit-in at Khyndai Lad on Thursday, citing the previous day’s disruption of peace and public order.

The Meghalaya Tourism Department issued a public advisory and a toll-free helpline number, 1800-599-2026, urging visitors to remain alert, follow official instructions and rely on verified information amid the tensions.

Tushar Sharma
Published by Nibir Deka