Hasbro scraps Gina Carano's 'Star Wars' figures in wake of controversy - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

Lifestyle & Entertainment

Hasbro scraps Gina Carano’s ‘Star Wars’ figures in wake of controversy

Published

on

Washington [US], February 16 (ANI): Popular toy company Hasbro will stop producing Cara Dune action figures after ‘The Mandalorian’ actor Gina Carano was fired last week over inflammatory social media posts.
As per The Hollywood Reporter, Hasbro has scrapped plans to make more Cara Dune figures in the wake of the recent controversy. Although the toy company has yet to officially comment on the issue, retailer BigBadToyStore explained to the publication they were forced to cancel preorders for Cara Dune items because it would no more be manufactured.
“The Star Wars Black Cara Dune figure was released in 2020 and sold out not long after the inventory was received,” a spokeswoman for BigBadToyStore told the publication on Monday.
The spokeswoman added, “Hasbro planned for another production run and we were accepting preorders from that production run. Due to recent events, Hasbro was no longer approved to produce any more of this figure.”
It was announced last week that Carano would not return to ‘The Mandalorian’ or any other ‘Star Wars’ project after her controversial social media posts. The decision polarised ‘Star Wars’ fans, some applauded the action while others expressed outrage, even starting a petition to bring her back to the hit Disney+ series.
Carano played former Rebel Alliance soldier Cara Dune in ‘The Mandalorian’, an instant fan favourite series. There was even a plan to give Cara Dune a stand-alone show, but that has all been swept away amid the controversy.
However, Carano showed no contrition after the firing announcement was made. Instead, on Friday, she claimed to be a victim of cancel culture and said she would be teaming up with The Daily Wire, the conservative website run by Ben Shapiro, to develop and produce a movie project.
“I am sending out a direct message of hope to everyone living in fear of cancellation by the totalitarian mob. I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before, and I hope it inspires others to do the same. They can’t cancel us if we don’t let them,” she said on Friday.
As per Variety, Lucasfilm fired Carano, who starred in both seasons of Disney Plus’ ‘The Mandalorian’, on Wednesday night after she shared several controversial social media posts on her Instagram story.
An official spokesperson of the production house said in a statement on Wednesday, “Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”
One of the actor’s posts compared contemporary political differences to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany, and another post mocked the mask-wearing mandates amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Carano has also come under fire by posting misinformation about election fraud and mocking people who specify their gender pronouns.
The actor was also dropped by UTA as a client within hours after her Lucasfilm firing. Many users on Twitter used the hashtag #FireGinaCarano on Wednesday as a part of the social media backlash. (ANI)

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

Lifestyle & Entertainment

Bollywood in awe of Pushpa & Allu Arjun

Published

on

Mumbai: Pushpa star Allu Arjun, the talk of the town, has absolutely impressed
his fans,audiences, actors in the South and also many bigwigs in Bollywood. The
stylish star with his emphatic performance has won the hearts of many in the Hindi
speaking regions. Now, Bollywood is all praise for Pushpa Raj aka Allu Arjun and
the movie, reiterate what the stylish star has said in the film, ‘Pushpa is not flower,
it is fire’. Completely entranced by Allu Arjun’s splendid work in “Pushpa”,
and also as the Hindi version in the North belt alone grossed Rs 100 crore
in box office collections in 25 days of its run, actors and big producers
in Bollywood have taken notice, and are now speaking about the
stylish star’s ability to charm viewers.
At a time when Allu Arjun has amassed a big fan following in
Hindi-speaking regions, there are reports of Bollywood producers lining up to cast him in their next Hindi films. Also, many
Hindi actors are showing interest to act in his upcoming pan-India movies. It is also reportedly said that producers are looking
to get Hindi dubbing or remake rights of the icon star’s upcoming films as they feel he will dominate the cinema space now.
The passion Allu Arjun put into his Pushpa Raj character is
so evident that people are just captivated by him.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

LATA MANGESHKAR TO REMAIN UNDER SUPERVISION FOR A FEW MORE DAYS

Published

on

MUMBAI : Giving a health update regarding legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar, her doctor on Sunday shared that the megastar will still remain in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), under the supervision of doctors for a few more days.

The Bharat Ratna recipient was admitted to Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai last week and her treatment is still going on. The 92-year-old star is suffering from corona as well as pneumonia. Dr Pratit Samdani who is treating the veteran singer said that “Lata ji is still in the ICU, she still that is why she is kept under the supervision of the doctor in the ICU.” “Lata ji will remain under the supervision of the doctor for a few more days, it is difficult to say how many days it will last. No one is allowed to meet.” The doctor also said that there is a need for people to pray for her recovery.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

MOUNI ROY TO RETURN TO SMALL SCREEN AS A JUDGE ON REALITY SHOW

Published

on

MUMBAI : After working in films like ‘Gold’, ‘Made in China’, and the yet-to-be-released ‘Brahmastra’, actor Mouni Roy is back to the small screen — the place where she first made her acting debut. Mouni is all set to appear as a judge on ‘Dance India Dance Li’l Masters Season 5’. Talking about the same, she said, “For me, dance is an expression. It is an amalgamation of various art forms. I am incredibly excited to be a part of Dance India Dance Little Masters as a judge. I can’t wait to watch the young kids showcasing their talent on such a huge platform.”

Mouni started her acting journey with TV shows and rose to fame with supernatural ‘Naagin’. 

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

KURUKKU VAZHI IS A CRIME THRILLER: SHIRA GAARG

Published

on

CHENNAI: What started as a surprising opportunity for actress Shira Gaarg to explore her passion became her career path once she started getting good reviews from reputed film critics for her role in her debut Tamil film Baby. Hailing from Bengaluru, Shira Gaarg was pursuing her college studies when a photoshoot caught the attention of director Balaji Sakthivel and his production team. They were looking for a fresh face for the movie Baby. She did not have any experience in acting then but after motivation from the director and support from her family she accepted the offer. Later after completion of her MBA she decided to take acting as her full time profession. Actress Shira Gaarg has recently completed the shoot for Tamil film titled Shot Boot Three directed by Arun Vaidyanathan and is currently shooting for her next movie Kurukku Vazhi directed by N.T. Nantha. In a candid conversation the actress avers, “Kurukku Vazhi is a crime thriller. It describes about what happens when people take short cut in life and how it would impact others. It is a very emotional role and the character has to go through mix of emotions. The story is about four people and what choices I make while dealing with them.” The film is produced by K Singh and A. Sharma. Apart from writing and directing the film, N.T. Nantha has also handled cinematography and composed the music. Apart from these projects, Shira Gaarg has also played the lead role in a Tamil web series Chewing Gum for Hotstar Network. She further added, “All my roles are unique and distinct. I am looking at playing meaty kind of roles. Fortunately the roles which I have played are all different and diverse.” 

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

PRIYANKA CHOPRA, NICK JONAS ENJOY ROMANTIC BEACH STROLL

Published

on

WASHINGTON: Celebrity couple Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas were recently spotted enjoying their romantic evening stroll at a beach, near San Diego. As per the pictures obtained by TMZ, the star couple was chilling at Del Mar Dog Beach, near San Diego. They meandered on the sand for about 30 minutes as their dogs took in the sights, sounds and smells. Visitors on the beach told the outlet that Nick and Priyanka were super happy, chatting most of the time as they held hands and walked with their two pet dogs.

The global actor was seen wearing a black casual jacket with a pair of blue jeans teamed up with sneakers and black shades.

Nick was also seen wearing a white t-shirt beneath a black jacket. He also wore a pair of casual jeans and white sneakers. This comes days after the ‘Fashion’ star addressed the scrutiny that followed after she dropped her husband, Nick Jonas’ last name from her social media handles last year.

She added that the experience served as a prime example of the microscope celebrities find themselves under in this age. “It’s a very vulnerable feeling, actually, that if I post a picture, everything that’s behind me in that picture is going to be zoomed in on, and people are going to speculate,” the ‘Quantico’ star explained.

“It’s just a professional hazard… Because of the noise of our social media, because of the prevalence that it has in our lives, I think it seems a lot larger than it is. I think that we give it a lot more credence in real life, and I don’t think it needs that,” she added.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

EMMA SAYS SHE WOULD ‘DEFINITELY’ RETURN FOR ANOTHER ‘HARRY POTTER’ REUNION

Published

on

WASHINGTON: Emma Watson fans rejoice as the actor that appeared in the recent HBO Max’s ‘Harry Potter’ reunion, said she would “definitely” return for a second reunion in another 20 years.

The HBO Max’s ‘Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts’ special made headlines at the start of the year. The special episode reunited key cast members from the movie franchise, such as Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. Watson, as fans know, played Hermione Granger in all eight of the franchise’s films, recently said in an interview obtained by Variety that she would “definitely” return for a second reunion in another 20 years.

Watson said the emotional high point of the reunion was sitting down with Grint and acknowledging that they will always remain a family even if months or years go by without them reconnecting.

Continue Reading

Trending