Govt agrees to bring back OCI cardholders with certain conditions - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

Govt agrees to bring back OCI cardholders with certain conditions

Rakesh Singh

Published

on

The government has allowed certain categories of the Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) cardholders who are stranded abroad to travel to India. This includes children born to Indian citizens abroad who hold an OCI card. Also, those who want to go to their families due to emergency or university students who want to go home, who are OCI cardholders and their parents are Indian citizens will also be able to travel.

The announcement was made by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and would be brought back under Phase III of the Vande Bharat Mission. The second phase, which began on 16 May, brought back about 32,000 stranded Indians in more than 160 flights from 47 countries. This MHA order partially resolve the problem of hundreds of thousands of people. In the wake of the Covid-19 outbreak, their visas were suspended following a ban on international travel.

As per the MHA order, it has been decided to allow the following categories of expatriate citizens who are OCI cardholders stranded abroad: Foreign-born children of Indian citizens who have OCI card; OCI card who want to come to India due to family emergency like death in family; couples where one spouse is an OCI cardholder, while the other is an Indian citizen and has a permanent residence in India; and finally, university students who are OCI cardholders (not legally minors) but whose parents are Indian citizen living in India.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News

Prime Minister Modi pays tribute to Field Marshal K. M. Cariappa on his birth anniversary

Published

on

By

New Delhi [India], January 28 (ANI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tribute to late Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa, first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army, on his birth anniversary while addressing the National Cadet Corps (NCC) Rally at Cariappa Ground in Delhi on Thursday.
“We are holding this event of Annual NCC rally at the ground named after Field Marshal KM Cariappa. In 1947, his wit and intelligence helped in gaining a decisive edge in the war. Today is his birth anniversary. I pay tribute to him on the behalf of all the citizens,” said Prime Minister Modi.
He also pointed out that there are immense opportunities for the girls in NCC cadets. “There has been an increase in 35 per cent of girls cadet in NCC in past few years. The nation needs your bravery and new opportunities are waiting for you. I see future officers in you all,” he added.
Talking about the revamped gallantry award portal launched on January 25, PM Modi said, “The portal contains the information about lives of gallantry medal awardees. I appeal to all the NCC cadets to visit the portal and keep engaged with it.”
The Prime Minister appreciated the cadets for their discipline and dedication towards fulfilling their duties. He also informed that around one lakh National Cadet Corps (NCC) cadets are being trained by the Army, Navy and Air Force to serve in coastal and border areas of 175 districts.
“On August 15, last year, it was announced that NCC will be given new responsibilities in around 175 districts in the coastal and border areas. For this, around 1 lakh NCC cadets are being trained by Army, Navy and Air Force. Out of these, one third are girl cadets,” PM Modi said.
Hailing NCC cadets for helping the government amid the COVID-19 pandemic, he said: “Be it the floods or any other calamity, NCC cadets helped the people of this country last year. During the corona pandemic, lakhs of cadets worked with the administration and society across the country. Their work is commendable.”
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat and the three armed services chiefs were also present on the occasion.
The Prime Minister wore an NCC cap, reviewed March Past by NCC contingents and witnessed cultural performance during the event. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

Mumbai Police rescues minor girl from trafficking, 3 arrested

Published

on

By

Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], January 28 (ANI): The Social Service Branch of Mumbai Police on Thursday arrested three people after they were allegedly planning to sell a minor girl for money.
In a statement, the Mumbai Police said, “The Social Service Branch of Mumbai Police arrested three people yesterday in a raid and rescued a 14-year-old girl. Preliminary investigation revealed that the perpetrators had fixed for the girl to be sold at Rs 3 lakhs.”
According to the information received from the police, the accused are allegedly casting directors namely Ashish Patel, Mohammad Sheikh and Vinod Aneria.
The girl was offered a role in a TV serial after which she had accepted, said police.
“Offenders are now booked under Sections 370, 366(A) and 34 of Indian Penal Code (IPC),” the statement added. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

SC dismisses plea of BJP leader challenging Karnataka HC order disqualifying him from being appointed as minister

Published

on

By

New Delhi [India], January 28 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed a plea of BJP Member of Legislative Council (MLC), AH Vishwanath challenging Karnataka High Court order on disqualifying him from being appointed as a minister.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice of India, SA Bobde dismissed the plea of Vishwanath.
Former Karnataka minister and BJP MLC Vishwanath, whose chances of becoming a minister were dashed after the Karnataka High Court held that his disqualification as MLA subsists as he is a nominated MLC and not an elected one, approached the top court against the order.
The Karnataka High Court in November 2020 had held that prima facie Vishwanath has incurred disqualification under Article 164 (1) (b) and Article 361 (B) of the Constitution of India and remains disqualified till the expiry of the term of the Legislative Council that is till May 2021, and therefore, cannot be inducted into the Council of Ministers.
Vishwanath was among the 17 MLAs who switched parties to join the BJP and overthrow the Congress-JD (Secular) coalition government in Karnataka in 2019. All 17 MLAs were disqualified by the Speaker.
Vishwanath had lost in the by-elections in his Assembly constituency after his disqualification.
After he lost the by-polls, BJP nominated him to the legislative council in order to induct him as a minister in the government. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

Locals raise slogans to vacate Singhu border amid farmers’ agitation

Published

on

By

New Delhi [India], January 28 (ANI): A group of people claiming to be locals of the Singhu border gathered here on Thursday and raised slogans, demanding the area to be vacated.
People were raising slogans including ‘Will not tolerate tricolour’s insult’ and ‘Vacate the Singhu border’.
Farmers have been camping at the border site for almost two months as part of their protest against Centre’s contentious farm laws.
Meanwhile, security has been heightened at the Singhu border (Delhi-Haryana border) after the violence broke out during a tractor rally in various parts of the national capital on Republic Day.
Protesting farmers did not follow the marked route for their tractor march on Republic Day and forcibly entered central Delhi by removing police barricades. They clashed with the police and also entered the Red Fort and unfurled their flags from its ramparts.
Several public and private properties were damaged in acts of vandalism by the protestors, while one farmer died after his tractor overturned at ITO.
At least 19 people have so far been arrested and over 25 criminal cases registered by Delhi Police in connection with the violence.
394 police personnel sustained injuries in the violence and several of them are still admitted to hospitals. Some of them are admitted to ICU wards, informed Police Commissioner (CP) SN Shrivastava on Wednesday.
Farmers have been protesting on the different borders of the national capital since November 26 against the three newly enacted farm laws – Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020; the Farmers Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and farm Services Act 2020 and the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act, 2020. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

India’s economic recovery post COVID is strong; Union Budget will be game-changer: BJP

Published

on

By

New Delhi [India], January 28 (ANI): Asserting that the economic recovery of India post-COVID is strong and widespread across all segments, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday said that Union Budget 2021 will be a game-changer with a focus on areas that have not received full support.
This comes a day ahead of the Budget Session of the Parliament. The Union Budget will be presented on February 1.
Addressing a press conference here at the party headquarters, BJP spokesperson Gopal Krishna Agarwal said that the Modi government has been walking on the path of strong reforms.
“PM Modi does not believe in maintaining the status quo and he has decided to bring in transformative changes. Since 2014 he has started schemes like Jan Dhan Yojana and PM Kalyan Yojana for the benefit of the citizens of the country. Good economics is good politics – is the motto of Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” he said.
“Budget 2021 will be a game-changer and will focus on areas that have not received full support. We are going to identify such areas that need further support. We are working towards a resurgent India and Atmanirbhar Bharat,” he added.
Agarwal presented data provided by various financial agencies and said that several reports indicate that the economic recovery of India post-COVID is strong and widespread across all segments
“RBI in its report has written that ‘After a winter of discontent, we are moving towards a glorious summer.’ The IMF’s report that shows India’s growth rate at 11.5 per cent is also a strong indicator. The report also suggests that India will continue to hold its tag of the world’s fastest-growing major economy. The PMI data for 3 consecutive months has shown expansion in manufacturing. IIP figures on eight core sectors show healthy growth. Labour force participation, too, in the post-COVID era, has seen 85 per cent recovery in mobility,” he said.
“The GST collections have crossed Rs 1 lakh crore in the last 3 months. Credit growth has increased by over 7 per cent. Govt expenditure has crossed 248 per cent. The central government has continued spending hugely on infrastructure, social security, and welfare. Agriculture has shown a growth of 3.4 per cent,” he added. (ANI)

Continue Reading

News

No risk would be taken to turn Haridwar into Wuhan: Uttarakhand CM

Published

on

By

Dehradun (Uttarakhand) [India], January 28 (ANI): The Uttarakhand government will not take any risk during the COVID-19 pandemic that will turn Haridwar into Wuhan, said Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat, ahead of the grand Kumbh Mela.
In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of India has released a set of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) regarding the Kumbh Mela.
According to the SOPs, the authorities concerned have been asked to discourage children below the age of 10, people above the age of 65, pregnant women, and people suffering from chronic diseases from participating in the Mela. The state government will coordinate with other states in this regard.
The central government has asked devotees to maintain a social distance of at least six feet to combat COVID-19. It has also directed the authorities to impose heavy penalties on people not adhering to COVID-19 protocols.
The officials present at the parking facilities at the gathering site will provide face masks to visitors at prescribed government rates.

Continue Reading

Trending