Washington [US], February 24 (ANI): The stars of HBO Max’s upcoming ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot spilled more details on how the new show will differ from the original.
As per People Magazine, four of the new cast members — Whitney Peak, Emily Alyn Lind, Evan Mock, and Jordan Alexander — recently told Dazed Magazine that their show will be “completely different” from the popular original version.
“We realized we could take these roles and make them our own – they have their own qualities that are special and differentiate them from the original,” Lind said of their characters in a Q&A in the magazine’s spring issue.
“I think people will relate to them on different levels. These are new characters, new storylines. It’s a new generation,” added the 18-year-old, who stars as Audrey Hope in the series.
Alexander said, “We’re just keeping an open mind, staying true to the essence of Gossip Girl but with a completely different take on it.”
Among the differences is greater representation of people of colour and queer people. Writer and producer Josh Safran previously said at the 2019 Vulture Festival that “there’s a lot of queer content on this show.”
Lind told Dazed Magazine when asked about queer representation, “I think that what we can say is this — we’re making a series in 2020 and 2021. It’s really important for us to not just talk about these things but also express them as normal things that kids deal with. It shouldn’t be this new, exciting thing to talk about, it just exists. It’s about normalizing things that used to be different or taboo.”
Alexander said, “Like Emily is saying, people are allowed to just be there and be whatever they are – whether it’s queer or not. Just in the sense that, like, we’re all just humans existing. People do what people do.”
Peak added that the increased representation in the new ‘Gossip Girl’ is “reflective of the times.”
Peak said, “There’s a lot of representation, which I can’t say we saw a lot of in the first one. It’s dope being able to see people who look like you and who are interested in the same things, and who happen to be in entertainment, because it’s so influential and obviously reflective of the times.”
Lind also said she personally “didn’t want to take anything” from the CW original.
“I wanted to start fresh — it’s a new take on it, a different time. It’s not a reboot, it’s a continuation, so we have an entirely new story and I think that’s really important,” she said.
The reboot of the CW’s iconic teen series is set to premiere sometime later this year with a whole new group of privileged New York City students getting entangled in drama under the watchful eye of the ubiquitous Gossip Girl.
HBO Max announced the reboot in 2019, with original creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage tied to the project.
Based on the Cecily von Ziegesar book series, the original ‘Gossip Girl’ ran for six seasons between 2007 and 2012, starring Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, and Ed Westwick. (ANI)
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE PROCESS: RADHIKA APTE ON HER DIRECTORIAL DEBUT
Mumbai: Actress Radhika Apte has donned many hats while portraying different roles for her films and now she has taken up direction too. The actress released her directorial debut ‘The Sleepwalkers’ trailer in the lockdown at Palms Spring International Short Fest which won ‘The Best Midnight Short’ award. Making her directorial debut with the short-film titled The Sleepwalkers, the actress in a recent interview with a leading publication shared, “I had never thought of making films. There was no such plan. I just had the urge to write because sometimes you want to create content that challenges you. Roles that come your way are not necessarily from the space that you want them to come from. I just wanted to write something that interested me. There are things that I passionate
IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY TO INSPIRE YOUNG WOMEN: SANYA MALHOTRA
New Delhi : Bollywood actress Sanya Malhotra is garnering tremendous praise and appreciation from the audience for her recent release, ‘Pagglait’. The film shows the actress as a strong-headed woman, who does not budge to societal expectations and norms and it has become a source of inspiration for many young women. Her diverse filmography boasts of strong woman-centric roles and characters, which is in turn a blessing for many. In a recent interview with a leading publication, Sanya revealed, “I am attracted to these characters. As an audience, I love watching such women on screen.” She further adds, “As an actor, I think somewhere it is my responsibility to inspire young women who are watching films.” Over the past few years, Sanya has been playing pivotal roles, from where young women can draw inspiration. And being a director’s actor, Sanya has been able to meet the expectations of the audience with her impeccable performance in movies like, ‘Badhaai Ho’, ‘Pataakha’, ‘Dangal’ and ‘Shakuntala Devi’. Other than this, Sanya has a vast trajectory of upcoming films like ‘Meenakshi Sundereshwar’ and ‘Love Hostel’
ALIA BHATT TESTS NEGATIVE FOR COVID-19, SHARES A BEAUTIFUL SUN-KISSED PICTURE
Bollywood star Alia Bhatt on Wednesday announced that she has finally tested negative for COVID-19, after almost 15 days of home quarantine.The ‘Student of The Year’ actor took to her Instagram handle and shared an all-smiles sun-kissed picture to inform her fans about the good news. In the picture, Alia can be seen sporting a blue sweatshirt, and pink pyjamas as she poses in the garden while looking into the lens. The actor looks gorgeous in a no-makeup look with her luscious locks open.
Alia captioned the post, “the only time being negative is a good thing” and added flex muscle and dancing girl emoticons.Celebrity followers including fashion designer Ami Patel and more than 1 lakh fans liked the post, while many congratulated the actor on winning the battle against the novel coronavirus.The second wave of coronavirus has infected a lot of people and the number of COVID-19 positive cases has been rapidly rising. In Bollywood, an array of celebrities like Ranbir Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Aditya Narayan, Kartik Aaryan, and Aamir Khan among others have got infected within a span of a few weeks.On the work front, Alia, who was last seen in the 2020 film ‘Sadak 2’, will be next seen in Ayan Mukherji’s directorial ‘Brahmastra’, alongside rumoured beau Ranbir Kapoor and megastar Amitabh Bachchan.Produced under Karan Johar’s banner of Dharma Productions, the superhero movie will also feature Nagarjuna and Dimple Kapadia in pivotal roles.She also has Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s ‘Gangubai Kathiawali’, SS Rajamouli’s magnum opus ‘RRR’, and Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Darlings’ in the pipeline.
‘ARMY OF THE DEAD’: HUMA QURESHI’S DEBUT HOLLYWOOD FILM TRAILER OUT
Washington: The trailer of Zack Snyder’s zombie heist film – ‘Army of the Dead’ dropped on Tuesday, and it is surely one of the most awaited films of the year. Movie buffs can finally catch a glimpse of Bollywood actor Huma Qureshi’s debut Hollywood venture. While the details of Huma’s character is still under wraps, makers have just revealed that her character is named Geeta in the film. With Dave Bautista leading the cast, the film will follow a group of men and women who come together to stage a heist at a casino in Vegas. From filmmaker Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen, Zack Snyder’s Justice League), ‘Army of the Dead’ takes place following a zombie outbreak that has left Las Vegas in ruins and walled off from the rest of the world. When Scott Ward (Dave Bautista), a former zombie war hero who is now flipping burgers on the outskirts of the town he now calls home, is approached by casino boss Bly Tanaka (Hiroyuki Sanada), it is with the ultimate proposition: break into the zombie-infested quarantined zone to retrieve USD 200 million sitting in a vault beneath the strip before the city is nuked by the government in 32 hours. With little left to lose, Ward takes on the challenge, assembling a ragtag team of experts for the heist. With a ticking clock, a notoriously impenetrable vault, and a smarter, faster horde of Alpha zombies closing in, only one thing’s for certain in the greatest heist ever attempted: survivors take all. The movie that is slated to release on May 21 on Netflix stars Dave Bautista, Ella Purnell, Omari Hardwick, Ana de la Reguera, Theo Rossi, Matthias Schweighofer, Nora Arnezeder, Hiroyuki Sanada, Tig Notaro, Raul Castillo, Huma Qureshi, Samantha Win, Michael Cassidy, Richard Cetrone, and Garret Dillahunt.
LADY GAGA THANKS FANS AFTER 2013 ALBUM ‘ARTPOP’ RETURNED ON ITUNES TOP 10 CHART
Los Angeles: American singer-actor Lady Gaga recently shared an emotional message with fans after her 2013 album ‘Artpop’ returned to the Top 10 chart on iTunes.According to Fox News, in a Change.org petition, over 40,000 fans signed an online document demanding that Interscope Records release the B-side of the ‘Artpop’ album, also called ‘Act II’ after DJ White Shadow, a producer on the album, teased she has a number of unreleased songs. Fans said they wanted to “show the Haus of Gaga that we still care about the experimental album and that chart success does not matter.”The Grammy-winning singer reacted to her album’s newfound popularity with a sweet message on Twitter.“The petition to #buyARTPOPoniTunes for a volume II has inspired such a tremendous warmth in my heart. Making this album was like heart surgery, I was desperate, in pain, and poured my heart into electronic music that slammed harder than any drug I could find,” she wrote.“I fell apart after I released this album. Thank you for celebrating something that once felt like destruction. We always believed it was ahead of its time. Years later turns out, sometimes, artists know. And so do little monsters. Paws up,” wrote Gaga.Per Fox News, when the album originally dropped, it received mixed reviews like The New York Times saying it pumped “so insistently it sometimes forgets to breathe.”Gaga also included R. Kelly in the song ‘Do What U Want’ but has since removed him and apologised for working with an alleged sexual abuser.“I’m sorry, both for my poor judgment when I was young, and for not speaking out sooner,” she said in 2019 via Twitter.
RANVEER COLLABORATES WITH SHANKAR FOR OFFICIAL REMAKE OF TAMIL HIT ‘ANNIYAN’
Movie buffs have a reason to rejoice! Two forces of Indian cinema – iconic director Shankar and Bollywood superstar Ranveer Singh are coming together for the remake of the filmmaker’s 2005 cult blockbuster ‘Anniyan’.This is anticipated to be one of the biggest director-actor collaborations in recent times. Shankar, known for his path-breaking, larger-than-life vision, and Ranveer, who has given India some of the most unforgettable and lovable characters on-screen, are coming together in an unprecedented creative coup. Shankar will be directing Ranveer in the official adaptation of ‘Anniyan’, which will be mounted on a gigantic cinematic canvas, proving it to be one of the biggest pan-India projects.The yet-untitled project is being interestingly announced around the auspicious time of Baisakhi in North India and Puthandu in Tamil Nadu, which marks the New Year celebrations in these respective calendars.Expressing his excitement, Shankar said, “For it to be made into a Hindi film, Anniyan needed a maverick, charismatic showman like no other to play the part. I found this in the mercurial Ranveer Singh because he is a once-in-a-generation actor who has shown us that he can immortalise a character through his stellar performance.”“I’m thrilled to make Anniyan for the pan-Indian audience and I’m confident that this powerful story will strike a chord in the hearts of all. In Dr. Gada, Ranveer and I have found an ideal producer who believes in the vision we have to change the nativity of content for audiences across the country,” he added.Blessed to have this opportunity, Ranveer acknowledged Shankar for being a true disruptor who always brings exceptional ideas to the screen. He also disclosed that he had always hoped and dreamed of collaborating with the 57-year-old ace filmmaker.“To lead a film like Anniyan is a dream come true for any artiste. Vikram Sir, one of our country’s finest talents, an artiste who I hugely admire, gave a colossal performance in the original, one that can never be matched,” Ranveer said of the upcoming project.“I can only hope that my interpretation and rendition of the part also connects with audiences in the same way. It’s undoubtedly a once-in-a-lifetime performance piece, and I am ready to give this role every single ounce of my being. Shankar Sir is a genius filmmaker and a true visionary. Words don’t do justice to just how excited I am at the prospect of being directed by him,” he added.Bringing these creative giants together for the very first time will be veteran film producer Dr Jayantilal Gada, Chairman and M.D. of Pen Studios.Speaking about the creative coup, he said, “It is an opportunity of a lifetime for us and we are thrilled to partner with the two powerhouses as producers and worldwide distributors of the film. We are confident that their collaboration will write a new chapter in the history of Indian cinema.”
Opinion6 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports9 months ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News11 months ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
News10 months ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports9 months ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
Spiritually Speaking8 months ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Defence10 months ago
GALWAN: CHINA’S INFORMATION WAR
News9 months ago
Things don’t add up in Sushant’s suicide: Swamy