Attorney General of India K.K. Venugopal on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that the 103rd amendment was affirmative action for the weaker sections of the society and EWS reservation does not erode rights given to SC, ST, and OBC.
Advancing his arguments on issues relating to providing reservation on the basis of economic criteria, AG Venugopal said that this amendment is affirmative action for the weaker sections of society. AG Venugopal said that EWS reservation does not erode rights given to SC, ST, and OBC and it is independent of 50 percent.
He also said that the question of it exceeding and violating the basic structure does not arise. A large population of this country who are meritorious will be deprived to apply for jobs in government service and educational institutions, AG argued and further said that the question of any special benefit being given to EWS in the general category cannot arise.
The constitution bench comprising Chief Justice UU Lalit, Justice Dinesh Maheshwari, Justice S Ravindra Bhat, Justice Bela M Trivedi, and Justice JB Pardiwala, was dealing with issues relating to the Constitutional validity of reservations on the basis of economic conditions.
The court is dealing with three issues suggested by the Attorney General including one whether the 103rd Constitution Amendment can be said to breach the basic structure of the Constitution by permitting the State to make special provisions, including reservation, based on economic criteria.
The constitutional validity of the 103rd Amendment Act, 2019 enabled the State to make reservations in higher education and matters of public employment on the basis of economic criteria alone.
A five-judge bench headed by Chief Justice UU Lalit had said earlier that the Janhit Abhiyan case will be the lead matter now.
Janhit Abhiyan’s matter is relating to the challenging of the constitutional validity of the 103rd Amendment Act, 2019 which enabled the State to make reservations in higher education and matters of public employment on the basis of economic criteria alone.
Moreover, the Janhit matter is being heard together with a case filed by the Andhra Pradesh government against the High Court’s decision of quashing its decision of granting reservations in education and public service for the entire Muslim population of the State in 2005.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Archana Pooran Singh desires to follow Neena Gupta’s plea for work.
Actor Archana Pooran Singh who is currently seen in The Kapil Sharma show has revealed that she is ‘dying to perform’. She expressed her frustration at people knowing only one aspect of her craft.
Popularly, she is known for her comic role in the classic movie Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, in which she performed the role of Professor Ms Briganza. She developed such a strong comedic reputation, thanks to the role that even 20 years later, she hasn’t been offered a serious role.
The actor added that she can do so much more in acting than comic roles, she can cry and make people cry too. She said the side of her is yet to be explored and this will happen someday.
Archana said, “That chhaap (image) is so solid. Also, a lot of people feel that what they should offer me after Ms Briganza. It’s been almost 25 years since Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was released. And the character is still following me. People also feel that I am best suited only for comedy. As an actor, I feel deprived, cheated and I have been left yearning for good roles.”
She stated that she is considering approaching filmmakers for work in the same way that actress Neena Gupta did. Neena, once posted on her Instagram asking the filmmakers for work as she wasn’t offered any roles in a long time and was sitting at home. After this, she got great opportunities and delivered a blockbuster film, ‘Badhai Ho.’
Archana made her film debut with Abhishek and then featured in Jalwa opposite Naseeruddin Shah. She was also part of several films such as Agneepath (1990), Saudagar (1991), Shola Aur Shabnam (1992), Aashiq Awara (1993), and Raja Hindustani (1996). Fans saw her in comedy roles such as Love Story 2050, Mohabbatein, Krrish, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Masti, De Dana Dan and Bol Bachchan.
Malayalam filmmaker Ashokan dies at 60
Raman Ashok Kumar, also known as Malayalam filmmaker Ashokan died on Sunday (Sep 25). He was 60. Recently returned from Singapore, he passed away while receiving medical care in Kochi, Kerala, at a private hospital.
Ashokan, a Varkala native, began his career in film as filmmaker Sasi Kumar’s assistant. After roughly 25 years of working as an assistant director, Ashokan released his first picture, “Varnam,” in 1989. The ensemble cast of the critically acclaimed movie “Varnam” included Jayaram, Suresh Gopi, Ranjini, Thilakan, Meena, Jagathy Sreekumar, Parvathy, and Mukesh. He collaborated with director Thaha to co-direct the Suresh Gopi and Parvathy-starring film “Saandaram” a year later, in 1990.
He teamed up once more with Thaha in 1991 to co-direct the slapstick comedy “Mookkilla Rajyathu,” which starred Mukesh, Thilakan, Jagathy Sreekumar, Siddique, and Vinaya Prasad. The movie “Mookkilla Rajyathu” earned positive reviews and became hit. After that, Ashokan directed “Aacharyan” in 1993, starring Thilakan, Suresh Gopi, and Sreenivasan, and the movie also succeeded in attracting viewers. After that, according to reports, Ashokan relocated to Singapore and concentrated on business, but he never lost his love for movies. The telefilm he later directed, “Kaanappurangal,” earned him the Kerala State Award for best telefilm.
The filmmaker’s funeral will take place on Tuesday at his Varkala home. Ashokan is survived by his wife Seetha and their daughter Abhirami.
Uttarakhand teen murder: The resort has been demolished, but an official claims that ‘all evidence is safe.’
Following the alleged murder of an employee at a Uttarakhand resort near Rishikesh, a member of the Special Investigation Team leading the investigation has claimed that all physical and forensic evidence from the site has been secured.
“Forensic team had collected all evidence from Vanatara resort before its demolition (on September 24). All evidence found there being used in forensic investigation is safe; further probe underway,” PR Devi quoted.
The investigation is being conducted in relation to the alleged murder of a 19-year-old receptionist who worked at a property owned by Haridwar BJP leader Vinod Arya’s son Pulkit.
Pulkit and two other employees were detained.
Her body was discovered in a canal near Rishikesh after she went missing. As family and activists demanded action, violent protests erupted in the resort’s vicinity, and the administration began demolishing the structure.
However, critics pointed out that evidence may have been destroyed as well.
A preliminary autopsy at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Rishikesh revealed that she drowned. However, there were antemortem injuries (those received before death).
Her family had refused to carry out the final rites until they had received the final report. She was later cremated on the banks of the Alaknanda after the state government assured her that a fair investigation would be conducted.
Pushkar Singh Dhami, the chief minister of Uttarakhand, has promised that no one involved in the murder will be spared. He also directed officials to ‘ensure better law and order and to keep an eye out for ‘anti-social elements which disrupt the peaceful environment.’
Jacqueline Fernandez granted bail in 200 crore extortion case
In the 200 crore extortion case, Jacqueline Fernandez received a momentary reprieve when she was given an interim release. The primary defendant in the case is imprisoned conman Sukesh Chandrashekhar.
The Patiala court in Delhi has granted interim bail to the actor for a bond of ₹50,000. The subsequent hearing in the case would be held on October 22. Jacqueline was interrogated for over 7 hours by the Delhi Police Economic Offences Wing.
The con man is said to have been friends with the 37-year-old Sri Lankan actress, who received many expensive gifts from him including luxury bags, clothes, jewellery, etc. worth Rs. 5.72 crores. The actor also told the ED that Sukesh had hired private jets as well as booked helicopter rides for her.
Earlier, the actress denied her friendship with the con man but after the intimate pictures of the actress with Sukesh surfaced on the internet she accepted dating him. The alleged pictures were taken in April-June of 2022.
Her friendship with Chandrashekhar – accused in more than 10 cases – started on WhatsApp in January 2021, and she had secretly met the conman on several occasions at a well-known hotel in Chennai and other places, she had told the officers, the report further highlighted.
The actor had admitted before the officers that the jailed conman had paid a huge amount of money to fashion designer Leepakshi, for designing exclusive costumes for her. The ED will now interrogate her designer as well.
Storm sweeps away at least 20 homes into the ocean within seconds in Canada
As powerful storm Fiona swept houses into the sea and caused major power outages in the country, many parts of Canada suffered immense devastation on Sunday. According to the reports, death of two people had been reported as of now.The storm packed intense winds of 80 miles per hour upon its arrival in Canada, resulting in torrential rain and waves of up to 40 feet.In a spine chilling video shared widely on social media, homes in Canada can be seen being washed up by the ocean as hurricane Fiona battered port Aux Basques.Reuters reported, Storm surges swept at least 20 homes into the sea in the town of Channel-Port aux Basques.Mayor Brian Button described “a total war zone” in the area as 200 residents were evacuated before the storm hit.In Canada, over 300,000 people remained without electricity across five provinces after the storm hit.Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau said that he had met with the Incident Response Group to ensure that “resources are available to help those affected by the storm.”
PM Modi, Rahul Gandhi wish Manmohan Singh on his 90th birthday
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday sent Dr. Manmohan Singh his birthday wishes on his 90th birthday, wishing him a long and healthy life.
“Birthday greetings to former PM Dr Manmohan Singh Ji. Praying for his long and healthy life,” tweeted PM Modi.
Rahul Gandhi, the leader of the Congress, sent Dr. Singh birthday greetings as well.
Wishing one of India’s finest statesmen, Dr Manmohan Singh ji a very happy birthday. His humility, dedication and contribution to India’s development, have few parallels. He is an inspiration to me, and to crores of other Indians. I pray for his good health and happiness,” tweeted the Wayanad MP.
Before the partition, Singh was born on September 26, 1932, in the Punjabi village of Gah. He studied at Oxford, Cambridge, and Punjab University.
Today marks the 90th birthday of Dr. Singh, who served as prime minister for two consecutive terms (from 2004 to 2014). He is a well-known economist who is credited with enacting significant reforms in the 1990s.
Opinion2 years ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking2 years ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Royally Speaking2 years ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219