Washington [US], February 8 (ANI): Filmmaker Baltasar Kormakur, who has helmed ‘2 Guns,’ ‘Everest,’ and ‘Adrift’ is set to team up with Icelandic author Olaf Olafsson on the film adaptation of the writer’s bestselling pandemic based novel ‘Touching’ (‘Snerting’).
According to Variety, Olafsson, a former executive VP at Time Warner, is a prolific and critically acclaimed author whose books – notably ‘Absolution,’ ‘The Journey Home,’ ‘The Sacrament’ and ‘One Station Away’ – have been published around the world being translated into more than 20 languages.
Set amid the 2020 pandemic, ‘Touching’ is a working title for the movie. The movie is being described as a sensual and thrilling love story unfolding across the globe and woven into historical events. The novel, which ranked as Iceland’s best-selling book of 2020, takes place in today’s Reykjavik and Tokyo, and in London in the 1960s.
As reported by Variety, Olafsson is currently adapting the story into a screenplay. Kormakur will produce via his outfit RVK Studios and will direct the film, which is now in advanced development. Production is expected to start in 2022.
“The book was so gripping that it kept me reading for a whole night. I was instantly inspired to make a film based on it,” said Kormakur, whose work spans theater, movies, and television.
Kormakur’s credits take in ‘101 Reykjavik,’ ‘Jar City,’ ‘The Deep,’ ‘Contraband’ with Mark Wahlberg, ‘2 Guns’ with Wahlberg and Denzel Washington, ‘The Oath’ (in which he also stars), ‘Everest’ with Jason Clarke and ‘Adrift’ with Shailene Woodley, as well as the award-winning series ‘Trapped’ and upcoming Netflix show ‘Katla.’
During the pandemic, Kormakur shot ‘Katla,’ described as a supernatural volcano drama, at his RVK Studios. RVK Studios has produced all of Kormakur’s Icelandic movies and series, as well as his English-language movies ‘Everest’ and ‘Adrift.’ (ANI)
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
Meghan Markle tells Oprah Winfrey it’s ‘liberating’ to speak out after royal exit
Washington [US], March 6 (ANI): Fans are getting yet another sneak peek at Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s tell-all interview with American talk show host Oprah Winfrey, which is scheduled to air on Sunday.
In the latest teaser, which was released on Friday, Oprah revealed she actually reached out to Meghan for an interview three years ago, before the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s royal wedding in 2018, and that her request was declined.
“So, I just want to say that I called you either February or March 2018 before the wedding asking, ‘Would you please give me an interview?'” Oprah recalled, “And you said, ‘I’m sorry it’s not the right time.’ And finally, we get to sit down and have this conversation.”
Meghan said she remembered it well and claimed that she “wasn’t even allowed to have that conversation” with Oprah personally and that other people had to be on the call.
Looking back, Oprah noted Meghan turned her down “nicely” and said, “‘Perhaps there will be another time when there’s the right time.'”
When asked what was right about this time, Meghan pointed to “so many things.”
“That we’re on the other side of a lot of, a lot of life experience that’s happened. And also that we have the ability to make our own choices in a way that I couldn’t have said yes to you then. That wasn’t my choice to make,” she explained.
Meghan further said, “So, as an adult who lived a really independent life to then go into this construct that is different than I think what people imagine it to be, it’s really liberating to be able to have the right and the privilege in some ways to be able to say, ‘Yes, I’m ready to talk.’ To say it for yourself….To be able to just make a choice on your own and just be able to speak for yourself.”
Previously released clips also showed Harry opening up. The couple has referred to the British tabloids’ treatment of Meghan as “bullying” before, and in the teaser of the upcoming interview with Oprah, Harry expressed his fear of “history repeating itself,” referring to Princess Diana’s death.
“I am just really relieved and happy to be sitting here, talking to you, with my wife by my side. Because I can’t imagine what it must have been like for her going through this process by herself all those years ago. Because it has been unbelievably tough for the two of us, but at least we have each other,” he said.
The forthcoming interview comes weeks after it was confirmed that Harry and Meghan will not be returning as working members of the royal family.
The interview titled ‘Oprah With Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special’ will air Sunday on CBS.
The interview is expected to cover Meghan’s journey from stepping into life as a royal to marriage, motherhood, philanthropic work, and facing intense public pressure. Harry will then join his wife to talk about their historic move to the United States.
The special is produced by Harpo Productions. Terry Wood and Tara Montgomery will executive produce, along with co-executive producer Brian Piotrowicz.
In early 2020, Meghan and Harry had announced that they were quitting royal duties and moving to North America, citing what they said were the unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media. They live in Santa Barbara, California, and are expecting their second child.
Apart from the upcoming interview, the pair struck a major multi-year deal with Netflix in September that will see them developing documentaries, feature films, scripted television shows, and children’s series.
They also recently launched a podcast on Spotify under their Archwell Audio production company, with the goal of building “community through shared experience, narratives, and values.”
Harry and Meghan, who tied the knot in 2018, welcomed their first child, Archie Harrison, in May 2019. (ANI)
Hema Malini receives COVID-19 vaccine shot in Mumbai
New Delhi [India], March 6 (ANI): Veteran Bollywood actor and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Hema Malini on Saturday became the latest Indian celebrity to take a jab of the COVID-19 vaccine.
The 72-year-old star took to her Twitter handle and shared pictures of her taking the vaccination at Cooper Hospital in Mumbai. Along with the photos, she tweeted, “I have taken the Covid vaccine along with the public at Cooper Hospital.”
In one of the pictures, she can be seen sporting a black printed top paired with a matching face mask, as she receives the vaccine shot from a medical worker.
The ‘Dream Girl’ of Bollywood became the latest addition to the list of celebrities who have taken the vaccination. Earlier stars like Saif Ali Khan, Kamal Haasan, and Satish Shah had also received the vaccination shots.
On a related note, several leading Bollywood stars had contracted the deadly disease earlier. Actors like Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora, and others have been infected with the virus.
In March 2020, Bollywood singer Kanika Kapoor, who rose to fame with her song ‘Baby Doll’, became the first Bollywood celebrity to become a victim of COVID-19. (ANI)
Janhvi Kapoor shares glimpse of her birthday cake from sets of ‘Good Luck Jerry’
New Delhi [India], March 6 (ANI): Bollywood actor Janhvi Kapoor, who is currently shooting for her next film ‘Good Luck Jerry’, shared a glimpse of her birthday cake from the sets of the movie.
Celebrating her 24th birthday, the ‘Dhadak’ actor shared a short video on her Instagram story, giving a glimpse of her delicious birthday cake that her crew had got for her. Expressing her gratitude for the team she wrote “thank you” along with the video.
In the video, Janhvi can be seen filming her birthday cake, as she pans the camera towards one of her crew members holding a placard, with “I came for cake” written on it.
Janhvi’s cousin Shanaya Kapoor also wished her sister on the occasion by sharing a collage of two photos, which showed them hugging each other. One photo showed the sisters as children while the other showed them all grown up. Along with it, she wrote, “Happy birthday @janhvikapoor love you.”
Alia Bhatt also took to her Instagram story and shared a mesmerising photo of Janhvi. Along with the photo, she penned a sweet note for her that read, “Happy birthday you beautiful soul. Have the best best dayy.”
Meanwhile, on the work front, Janhvi will next be seen in ‘Roohi’, which is set to hit the big screens on March 11 this year. It also stars Rajkummar Rao and Varun Sharma in the lead roles.
The upcoming horror-comedy will become the first film to arrive in theatres after the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting allowed cinema halls nationwide to operate at full capacity from February 1 with COVID-19 safety protocols put in place.
The film is based on the lines of the 2018 hit film ‘Stree’, which featured Shraddha Kapoor and Rajkummar Rao in lead roles. (ANI)
Steven Spielberg developing series based on Stephen King’s ‘The Talisman’
Washington [US], March 6 (ANI): Popular American author Stephen King’s novels have been adapted into scores of famous films and TV shows. And now one of his most beloved books ‘The Talisman’ yet to be adapted is finally coming to the screen in the form of a series.
‘The Talisman’, which released in 1984, was co-written by King with Peter Straub. As per Entertainment Weekly, Spielberg has assembled some mighty collaborators to help him make the adaptation a reality.
The Duffer brothers will executive produce the series, which will be produced by Netflix in association with Spielberg’s Amblin Television and Paramount Television Studios.
Curtis Gwinn, who worked as a writer-executive producer on Duffer Brothers’ ‘Stranger Things’, will act as writer and showrunner on the upcoming project, which is in development.
‘The Talisman’ tells the story of a 12-year-old boy named Jack Sawyer who sets off on an epic road-trip quest in order to save his dying mother’s life. He is in search of the Talisman, a powerful relic that can not only heal his mother but, as he learns, save the world. Sawyer’s journey criss-crosses two realities: the America we know and its dangerous, fantasy-world twin, The Territories.
The book was an instant best-seller when it hit stores in 1984, and King and Straub reunited for a sequel in 2001. On the adaptation front, the most recent developments occurred in 2019 when Mike Barker, who directed several episodes of ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’, was involved in what was then being envisioned as a feature.
Todd Cohen will oversee day-to-day development on the project for Amblin, along with Spielberg, Darryl Frank, and Justin Falvey. (ANI)
Nicolas Cage marries Riko Shibata in an intimate ceremony
Washington [US], March 6 (ANI): American actor Nicolas Cage has tied the knot for the fifth time. The ‘Ghost Rider’ actor married his girlfriend Riko Shibata in an intimate ceremony in Las Vegas.
As per People magazine, the much-in-couple got hitched on February 16 this year in Sin City’s Wynn hotel on a date chosen to honour his late father’s birthday. While the groom wore a Tom Ford tux, his bride wore a handmade Japanese bridal kimono from Kyoto.
Cage speaking about the marriage, told the outlet, “It’s true, and we are very happy.”
The wedding was a “very small and intimate wedding at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas,” according to a rep for Cage.
Shibata walked down the aisle to ‘Winter Song’ by Kiroro, her favourite track. Cage and Shibata exchanged traditional Catholic and Shinto vows with poetry from Walt Whitman and Haiku also included in the ceremony.
After the wedding, the happy couple attended a small celebration with Cage’s ex-wife, Alice Kim, with whom he remains very good friends, and their 15-year-old son Kal-El.
The couple met in Shiga, Japan, more than a year ago. Shibata’s name on the marriage certificate posted on the Clark County Clerk’s Office was listed as Riko Cage.
Prior to their wedding, the newlyweds were photographed for the first time together in February 2020 while making a visit to Cage’s nine-foot pyramid-shaped tomb at a New Orleans cemetery. Cage bought back his tomb in 2010 for his future burial.
A week after the visit, the couple were photographed holding hands while visiting the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
Cage and Riko also enjoyed dinner and a movie while in the city, visiting the legendary hangout spot the Rainbow Room before heading to the Marriott Marquis.
This is Cage’s fifth marriage following his public split from Erika Kookie after a four-day marriage in March 2019, which took place in Las Vegas. He was granted a divorce two months later.
The actor was previously married to Patricia Arquette from 1995 to 2001, to Lisa Marie Presley from 2002 to 2004, and to Kim from 2004 to 2016. In addition to Kal-El, Cage has a son, Weston from his relationship with actor Christina Fulton.
Meanwhile, on the work front, Cage recently appeared in action horror comedy ‘Willy’s Wonderland’, from first-time feature screenwriter G.O. Parsons. In the movie, Cage appears as The Janitor and has no dialogue.
He is set to play Tiger King subject Joe Exotic in an eight-episode scripted series from CBS Television Studios and Imagine Television. (ANI)
Cardi B deactivates Twitter after backlash over doll release
Washington [US], March 6 (ANI): Grammy-winning rapper Cardi B has deactivated her Twitter account after facing intense backlash following the launch of her new doll.
On Friday, the rapper took to Instagram to announce the release of her new venture: an original doll modelled after the artist herself. Cardi revealed that she had designed her own doll with the brand Real Women Are.
However, it didn’t sit too well with fans who have been impatiently waiting for a new album instead. Fans replied to her post complaining that she was releasing a doll instead of working on fresh music. In the last seven months, Cardi has released hits like ‘WAP’ and ‘Up’.
After receiving flak, Cardi took to Instagram Live to set the record straight on all of her current ventures. She said that while she is working on new music, fans need to be patient as she puts her focus toward other projects, reported People magazine.
“I have so much pressure. I’m working on a lot of s— to please people. I wanna please my fans, because y’all been asking for something from me for a very long time that I can’t say, and I’m doing it for ya,” she said.
She posed a question for those who were frustrated that she was working on other businesses in the meantime. “How am I supposed to be rich? How am I supposed to build my net worth?” she said.
The backlash ultimately led the rapper to deactivate her Twitter account. Cardi has also deleted her Twitter in past for similar harassment claims of fans questioning her life choices.
Cardi had announced the release of the doll, writing, “BARDI GANG!! I’m dropping my own doll TODAY. Inspired by me. Created by me. Designed by me. Thank you @officialrealwomenare This means sooo much.”
In two follow-up videos, Cardi explained her decision to design a doll, adding that she plans to expand her doll line to include other artists and women in roles traditionally dominated by men.
“When this doll business got presented to me, one of the reasons I decided to do it is because I’m a girl’s mom,” she said.
The rapper added, “Nowadays, these dolls are not like Barbies. They are way more expensive. They come with way more fashion and are way more diverse. They come so chic and I constantly gotta spend money on these dolls. My daughter constantly want me to buy these dolls, she actually has a preference.”
Meanwhile, on the personal front, previously in September, Cardi filed for divorce from her husband and rapper Offset after three years of marriage.
Their split came after accusations of Offset’s infidelity resurfaced, but Cardi called off the divorce in October. The duo is proud parents to daughter Kulture. (ANI)
Opinion5 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports8 months ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News10 months ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
News9 months ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports8 months ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
News7 months ago
Things don’t add up in Sushant’s suicide: Swamy
Defence8 months ago
GALWAN: CHINA’S INFORMATION WAR
Defence6 months ago
Sino-Indian logjam: Facts, risks, options and the sum of all fears