After putting up a strong fight in the Bihar Assembly elections, the RJD led by Tejashwi Yadav missed the crossing line by a whisker. And the Congress’ uninspiring show—winning just 19 seats out of 70 seats it had contested—has been blamed as one of the main reasons for the Mahagathbandhan’s debacle. Now, in a first sign of crack within the opposition, a senior RJD leader has blamed the Congress for putting up a half-hearted fight.
“Congress became a shackle for Mahagathbandhan. They had fielded 70 candidates but didn’t hold even 70 public rallies. Rahul Gandhi came for three days, Priyanka [Gandhi Vadra] didn’t come, those who were unfamiliar with Bihar came here. This is not right,” Shivanand Tiwari told news agency ANI.
“I think this is not the case only in Bihar. In other states too Congress lays more emphasis on contesting on the maximum possible number of seats but they fail at winning the maximum possible number of seats. Congress should think about this,” Tiwari said. “Elections were in full swing here and Rahul Gandhi was having a picnic at Priyanka ji’s house in Shimla. Is the party run like that? Allegations can be levelled that the manner in which Congress party is being run, it is benefitting BJP,” he added.
A few dys back, Congress leader Tariq Anwar had also called the results “definitely below” expectations, saying the party must learn from it. He also hinted at the Congress’ performance hampering the Opposition’s chance to remove the Nitish Kumar government.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
BJP releases first list of 57 candidates for WB assembly polls
New Delhi [India], March 6 (ANI): Ahead of the West Bengal Assembly elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday released its first list of 57 candidates for the polls and announced that party leader Suvendu Adhikari shall be contesting the elections from the Nandigram constituency.
This was announced by BJP General Secretary Arun Singh at a press conference here today. He also announced that the Baghmundi seat has been allotted to the Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) Party to contest the upcoming polls.
The announcement of BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari contesting from Nandigram comes a day after West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced that she will be contesting the upcoming state assembly elections from the same constituency.
Suvendu Adhikari is the current MLA from Nandigram. Adhikari, once a close aide of Banerjee and TMC leader has now switched to BJP in December, last year.
“BJP’s Central Election Committee has approved the names of candidates on 57 seats for West Bengal Assembly elections,” said Singh addressing the press conference.
West Bengal Assembly elections will be held in eight phases starting from March 27 with the final round of voting taking place on April 29. The counting of votes in the state will take place on May 2. (ANI)
Karnataka: High turmeric prices bringing smiles on faces of Belgavi’s farmers
Belgavi (Karnataka) [India], March 6 (ANI): Skyrocketing prices of Rajapuri turmeric due to its low production last harvest season are bringing smiles on the faces of Belgavi’s farmers as they were not getting good prices for the last 10 years.
“We have not seen the spice being sold for such a high price in the last 10 years. The production of the spice is 25-30% less this year due to excessive rainfall in Karnataka last year and the demand is the same which is causing the prices to go up,” Dharmaraj Deokar, a farmer from Satara district.
Low production of turmeric in Karnataka in the last harvest season has caused its prices to skyrocket in the local markets of Maharashtra’s Sangli district, where farmers from Belgavi sell their produce.
High-quality Rajapuri turmeric is costing as much as Rs 21,000 per quintal.
“The market price of the spice has escalated upto Rs 30,000 per quintal here. It looks like the price might go higher as a result of low production, high prices of the spice are due to the excessive rainfall last year which reduced the yield of turmeric,” said Rajendra Menkar, a turmeric seller.
“With reduced yield and the demand remaining the same, prices have increased this much. Also, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the import of some spices has reduced amidst increasing demand,” Menkar added.
At the Sangli Agricultural Produce Market Committee’s (APMC) Satara Sales Corporation, rates of the tuber are pegged at a minimum of Rs 7,000 per quintal and a maximum of Rs 21,000 per quintal at the deal, while the average price remained at Rs 14,000.
In a deal struck earlier last week, Rajapuri turmeric from Gokak had fetched Rs 17,100 per quintal. (ANI)
COVID-19 vaccination centers in Karnataka to be increased to 3000 from March 8
Bengaluru (Karnataka) [India], March 6 (ANI): Health Minister of Karnataka K Sudhakar on Saturday informed that the number of COVID-19 vaccination centers will be increased to 3,000 across the state from Monday.
“From March 8, COVID-19 vaccination will be provided at about 3,000 centres including Primary Health Centers (PHCs), Taluk Hospitals and District Hospitals and the target is to vaccinate 1.5 lakh people each day across the state,” Sudhakar said during a review meeting held by him here on Saturday.
The state Health Minister also informed that for several weeks about 200-250 cases of COVID-19 were being reported in Bengaluru each day but increased to 400 yesterday.
“12 clusters have been identified in Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) limits,” he said.
“Contact tracing will also be made more robust and centre has directed to trace 20 primary and secondary contacts for each positive case. All these 20 contacts will be subjected to the COVID-19 test,” the Minister said.
“The challenge is due to the neighbouring states of Kerala and Maharashtra which have high caseload. Along with strict measures at borders restrictions on large gatherings will also be tightened,” Sudhakar further said.
“Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa will hold a video conference with the district administrations of districts where positivity rate is high. Since there are more inter-state travellers to Mangalore, testing will be ramped up there. Instructions have been issued to Bengaluru Urban, Dakshina Kannada, Mysuru, Chamaajanagara, Udupi, Kodagu, Belagavi and Tumkuru to be more vigilant,” he added.
According to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, there are 6,393 active cases of COVID-19 in Karnataka while 12,354 people have succumbed to the virus till now. (ANI)
Health Ministry approves COVID vaccination of veterans, dependents of Armed Forces personnel at Service hospitals: Army
New Delhi [India], March 6 (ANI): The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has given approval to the COVID-19 vaccination of veterans and dependents of Armed Forces personnel at the Armed Forces medical facilities, the army informed on Saturday.
Taking on Twitter, the Indian Army said that the process would likely commence next week.
“Approval of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for vaccination of veterans and dependents of Armed Forces personnel in Service hospitals has been received,” Indian Army tweeted.
“The process is likely to commence next week after completion of registration of Armed Forces medical facilities on Co-WIN Platform,” the tweet further read.
Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare informed that the cumulative number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 1.90 crores on Friday.
The countrywide vaccination drive was rolled out on January 16, 2021, and the vaccination of the frontline workers (FLWs) started on February 2, 2021. The next phase of COVID-19 vaccination has commenced from March 1, 2021, for those who are over 60 years of age and for people aged 45 and above with specified co-morbid conditions. (ANI)
Free Entry for women at Lucknow’s historical monuments on Women’s day
Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) [India], March 6 (ANI): The District Magistrate of Uttar Pradesh’s Lucknow on Saturday announced that women will be given free entry at the historical monuments in the district on the occasion of International Women’s Day on March 8.
According to a notification issued by Lucknow’s DM Abhishek Prakash, this step has been taken under ‘Mission Shakti’ campaign.
“On the occasion of International Women’s Day on March 8, women will be given free entry to Chhota Imambara, Bada Imambara and Picture Gallery in the city,” the notification read.
International Women’s Day is celebrated worldwide every year on March 8 to recognise the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women across the globe.
This year, the theme for International Women’s Day 2021 is ‘Choose To Challenge’ (ANI)
Goa police held 2 in connection with theft incident at Mandrem beach in Pernem
North Goa (Goa) [India], March 6 (ANI): Goa police arrested two youth in connection with a theft incident at Mandrem beach in Pernem. The arrested have been taken in police custody for three days.
“We received a call from the complainant Karan Vahi (26) that he along with his friend had come for a vacation to Goa and visited Mandrem Beach on Friday evening. The tourists went to have a swim and kept their belongings at the shore. Upon returning, they saw their belongings were missing,” said Police Inspector Jivba Dalvj.
“Receiving the information, police launched a big search campaign. We zeroed on one scooter moving suspiciously and further traced the accused persons who were immediately placed under arrest,” read a statement by the police.
The accused were identified as Chandan Bhanwarlal Sahu (23) and Vishal Bhavanishankar Sahu (22). Both are cousins and belong to Jaipur, Rajasthan. They had come to Goa on February 27, had rented a bike, and were committing theft.
Police have recovered entire stolen articles, along with the vehicle used for committing theft, from the accused persons.
“A team, headed by Police Inspector Jivba Dalvj, and having Police Sub-Inspectors (PSIs) Sanjeet Khanolkar, Vivek Halankar, constables Ravi Maloji, Anish Poke, and Vinod Pednekar successfully carried out the entire operation,” added the statement.
Further investigation is in progress. (ANI)
Opinion5 months ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports8 months ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News10 months ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
News9 months ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Sports8 months ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
News7 months ago
Things don’t add up in Sushant’s suicide: Swamy
Defence8 months ago
GALWAN: CHINA’S INFORMATION WAR
Defence6 months ago
Sino-Indian logjam: Facts, risks, options and the sum of all fears