CM Kejriwal announces ‘cracker-free Diwali’ amid rising Covid cases in Delhi - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

CM Kejriwal announces ‘cracker-free Diwali’ amid rising Covid cases in Delhi

Aishvarya Jain

Published

on

The national capital recorded 6,715 new Covid-19 cases, 5,289 recoveries, and 66 deaths in last 24 hours. Total cases now at 4,16,653 including 3,71,155 recoveries, 38,729 active case and 6,769 deaths. Meanwhile, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced a ban on firecrackers in the national capital ahead of Diwali.

CM Kejriwal said that the coronavirus situation in Delhi was reviewed with the chief secretary, health officials and district magistrates, after which it was concluded that the Covid-19 cases in Delhi were rising due to the festive season and increasing pollution in the region. The Delhi government has also decided to ramp up medical infrastructure, including oxygen facility and intensive care unit beds in the government hospitals.

“The Delhi government has decided to put a complete ban on the sale, purchase, and use of firecrackers in Delhi from November 7 to November 30. The government has also decided to increase targeted testing at crowded places across Delhi, such as markets, mobile testing vans will be deployed in markets and crowded places across Delhi. The testing can be availed free of cost by the people at these places,” he said.

The Delhi CM also said that “all steps should be taken to maintain the lower fatality rate in Delhi. At present, Delhi is in the 17th position in terms of the deaths per million population due to corona despite a decrease in the number of cases, far behind all metropolitan cities in the country”.

Meanwhile, India has recorded 83,64,086 confirmed Covid-19 cases so far with 50,210 new cases in last twenty-four hours. A total of 77,11,809 people have recovered so far, pushing the national recovery rate to 92.20 percent. The death toll climbed to 1,24,315, with the virus claiming 704 lives in a span of 24 hours in the country. The Covid-19 case fatality rate was recorded at 1.49 percent.

Maharashtra’s Covid-19 tally breached the 17-lakh mark after it recorded 5,246 fresh cases. With the addition of the new cases in the last 24 hours, Maharashtra’s Covid-19 tally rose to 17,03,444. The state also reported 117 more deaths, taking the fatality count to 44,804. A total of 11,277 patients were discharged during the day, taking the tally of recovered people to 15,51,282. With this, the number of active cases in the state dropped to 1,06,519.

The Covid-19 death count in Uttar Pradesh reached 7,131 after 28 more people succumbed to the disease, while 1,879 fresh cases pushed the tally to 4,91,354. There are 23,150 active cases in the state, of which 10,303 are in home isolation. A total of 4,61,073 people have recuperated from the infection so far and the state’s recovery rate stands at 92 per cent.

Uttarakhand’s Covid-19 tally rose to 64,065 with 480 more people testing positive while nine more infected patients died. Meanwhile, nine more Covid-19 patients died in the state taking the death toll to 1,047. So far, 58,823 infected people have recuperated, 515 have migrated out of the state while 3,680 patients are still under treatment.

Punjab reported 541 new Covid-19 cases and 22 deaths in last 24 hours. Total number of cases now at 1,35,834 including 1,26,932 discharges, 4,621 active cases and 4,281 deaths.

Haryana reported 2,064 fresh novel coronavirus cases in last 24 hours, bringing the infection tally to 1,76,146, while the death toll from the disease rose to 1,859 in the state with 23 more fatalities. The state has an active case count of 14,644 while the rate of recovery from the infection is 90.63 per cent.

Gujarat recorded 990 new cases of coronavirus infection in the last 24 hours, taking the tally to 1,77,598. The death toll due to coronavirus in the state stands at 3,747 with seven more persons succumbing to the infection. At the same time, 1,055 patients also recovered during this period. Gujarat’s overall tally of Covid-19 stands at 1,77,598 positive cases with 12,326 active cases.

Rajasthan recorded 1,810 fresh Covid-19 cases in last 24 hours which took its tally to 2,05,800, while 10 more fatalities pushed the death toll to 1,955. Of the total 2,05,800 cases, 16,301 people are under treatment. So far, 1,87,544 people have been discharged after treatment.

Karnataka reported 3,156 new Covid-19 cases, 5,723 discharges, and 31 deaths in the last 24 hours. Total number of cases now at 8,38,929 including 33,095 active cases, 7,94,503 discharges and 11,312 deaths.

Kerala reported 6,820 new Covid-19 cases taking the caseload in the state to 4,45,467, while 7,669 persons recovered from the disease pushing the total recoveries to3,80,650. The state also reported 26 deaths in last 24 hours, pushing the death toll to 1,613. Currently, there are 84,087 active cases in the state.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News Plus World

BILL AND MELINDA GATES ARE OFFICIALLY DIVORCED

Published

on

WASHINGTON: The divorce between Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates has been finalised. As per CNN report, filing with the King County Superior Court in Washington made the move official. Melinda French Gates filed the petition for divorce in King County, Washington.

Bill and Melinda announced in May that they would be ending their marriage after 27 years, saying, “we no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in this next phase of our lives.”

However, the duo said they will continue to work together at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Meanwhile, the foundation said last month that the organisation was planning a two-year trial period to see if the pair could continue working together effectively.

“If after two years either decide they cannot continue to work together as co-chairs, French Gates will resign her position as co-chair and trustee,” CEO Mark Suzman said. In the weeks following the initial announcement of the divorce, Bill faced allegations of questionable workplace conduct in the early years at Microsoft.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

BLINKEN ANNOUNCES US REFUGEE ADMISSIONS PROGRAMME FOR AFGHAN NATIONALS

Published

on

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced a US refugee admissions programme Priority 2 designation for Afghan nationals on Monday. The US is weeks away from completing military withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Blinken, during a press briefing, said, “The State Department is announcing a new resettlement program for Afghans who assisted the United States, but who do not qualify for special immigrant visas. We’ve created a Priority-2 or P-2 designation, granting access to the US refugee admissions program for many of these Afghans and their family members.”

He said that even as the US forces withdraw from Afghanistan, the US will remain deeply engaged with the country.

“We’ll continue to work toward an Afghanistan, where all Afghans can live in safety and security, and we will continue our support for Afghan institutions, and for the gains that the Afghan people have made over the past 20 years,” said Blinken.

“We will keep engaging intensely in diplomacy to advance negotiations between the Afghan government, the Taliban, with the goal of a political solution, which we believe is the only path to lasting peace. And we’ll keep working closely with countries in the region, which all have a stake in a stable, peaceful, democratic Afghanistan,” he stated.

Blinken said that Afghans who work with the United States or the International Security Assistance Force at some point since 2001 are facing acute fears of persecution or retribution that will likely grow as coalition forces leave the country.

He further added that “We have a special report the responsibility to these individuals. They stood with us. We will stand with them. Over the past 13 years, the State Department has issued more than 73,000 Special Immigrant Visas to eligible Afghans who have helped the United States, and also to their families. We’ll continue to welcome Afghan immigrants and refugees as our neighbours in gratitude for helping us, despite the danger. We won’t forget it.”

Continue Reading

News Plus World

AFGHAN PRESIDENT GHANI’S TIME HAS RUN OUT: TALIBAN

Published

on

KABUL: Taliban said that Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani’s “time has run out” on Monday. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, while reacting to Ghani’s remark that the ongoing war is an external intrigue imposed on the people of Afghanistan, accused the President of lying and spreading false information.

A tweet by Mujahid said that his (Ghani’s) time is over and the announcement of warfare will not survive him. “Speech by @ashrafghani is nonsense, an attempt to control his fears & dire situation. Nation has decided to pursue & bring national traitors to justice. Declarations of war, accusations & lies cannot prolong Ghani’s life, his time has run out, God willing,” said Mujahid. 

Continue Reading

News Plus World

INDIA WANTS PEACEFUL RELATIONS, ONUS IS ON PAKISTAN: TIRUMURTI

Published

on

WASHINGTON: India’s Permanent Representative to United Nations, T.S. Tirumurti said that India desires to have peaceful and normal relations with Pakistan but in an atmosphere free from terror.

The Indian Ambassador to the UN informed that issues between the two countries should be resolved in an atmosphere free from terror, hostility, and violence and the onus is on Pakistan to create such an environment. “Pakistan should take credible and verifiable action not to allow any territory under their control to be used for cross border terrorism against India,” said Tirumurti. He also informed that India wants to keep a spotlight on counter-terrorism.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

US-China seek alignment of Afghan interests: Ned Price

US State Department spokesperson Ned Price has said that China’s interest in Afghanistan could be ‘an alignment of interest’ when it comes to what the US and China seek in Afghanistan.

Published

on

The People’s Republic of China (PRC) interest in Afghanistan could be “an alignment of interest” when it comes to what the US and China seek in Afghanistan, said US State Department spokesperson Ned Price on Monday. “There’s an alignment of interest in at least some areas when it comes to what we seek, what China seeks and what the broader international community seeks in Afghanistan,” Price told ANI on being asked what is US’ assessment of meeting between Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Taliban delegation led by its Chief Negotiator Abdul Ghani Baradar.

Experts say thay although the US might once have fiercely resisted Chinese attempts to increase their influence inside Afghanistan, now Washington’s priority appears to keep away a civil war. Spokesperson Price also affirmed that is in no one’s interest to see Afghanistan descend into an all-out civil war. “It is in everyone’s interest to see a solution to the conflict that is just as durable as Afghan-led, and Afghan Owned,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

News

AMID COVID PANDEMIC, PMGKY REDUCES WORRIES OF THE POOR: PM MODI

Abhijit Bhatt

Published

on

Gandhinagar: Annotsav Day was celebrated on Tuesday on the occasion of the completion of five years of the Rupani government, as part of which a state-level program was organized in Dahod district in which Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a virtual dialogue with the beneficiaries of the grain welfare scheme. He asked whether the beneficiaries of Dahod and Rajkot have any problem in taking up the scheme or not. Modi said in a dialogue with the beneficiaries that the poor would get free foodgrains till Diwali. Modi praised the performance of the Gujarat government.

Prime Minister’s Poor Welfare Food Scheme is being praised all over the world. More than Rs 2 crore is being spent by the government under this scheme. The aim is that not a single person in India goes to bed hungry. Under this scheme, ration cardholders are being given double the amount of foodgrains than before. The plan is to run till Diwali.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday addressed the beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana and said this scheme has reduced the worries of the poor and increased their confidence. Three and a half crore beneficiaries in Gujarat are getting the benefit of free foodgrains. “I commend the Gujarat government for this. Preference is given to workers from other parts of the country. Workers have benefited from this scheme. Gujarat is the first to offer the benefit of One Nation One Ration Card,” said the Prime Minister.

Continue Reading

Trending