China’s production struck amid covid outbreak, power outages - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News Plus World

China’s production struck amid covid outbreak, power outages

Published

on

Power shortages caused by record heatwaves have hit hard China’s manufacturing sector, causing activity to remain in contraction and the outlook to remain bleak. The official manufacturing purchasing managers’ index (PMI) rose to 49.4, up from 49 in July, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) on Wednesday. However, for a second consecutive month it stayed below the 50-mark that separates growth from contraction on a monthly basis. China’s manufacturing PMI has been in contraction territory for five out of the past six months, having briefly hit 50.2 in June, whereas the official non-manufacturing PMI, which measures business sentiment in the services and construction sectors, fell to 52.6 from 53.8 in July.

Within the official non-manufacturing PMI, the construction subindex fell to 56.5 in August from 59.2 in July, while the service subindex fell from 52.8 to 51.9. China’s economy is slowing as a result of its strict coronavirus controls, downward pressure on the housing sector, and power shortages in Sichuan Province. Moreover, growth forecasts for China this year were slashed by Standard Chartered, Goldman Sachs, and Natixis earlier this month. 

“The official PMIs show a further loss in economic momentum this month as the reopening boost waned and the property downturn deepened. We continue to think the economy will struggle to make much headway during the coming.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News Plus World

Taiwan disapproves of China’s false claims about its sovereignty

Published

on

Taiwan disapproves of China’s false claims about its sovereignty

Taiwan on Sunday rebutted Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s remarks about the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) resolve to achieve unification and said that it sought to undermine the legitimacy of Taiwan.
Taiwan will never accept Beijing’s attempts to undermine its sovereignty, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, after the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) at its National Day celebrations in Beijing vowed to achieve unification with Taiwan, reported Taipei Times. The council said the statement was an attempt to undermine the legitimacy and sovereignty of Taiwan. “We will never accept such ideas,” it said.
The CCP’s statement was not conducive to peaceful cross-strait relations, the council said, reported Taipei Times.
The event, hosted by the Chinese State Council, featured Chinese President Xi Jinping, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang, the other five CCP Politburo Standing Committee members and Vice President Wang Qishan, among others.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Chinese Communist Party propagates inevitability of Xi’s third term

Published

on

Chinese Communist Party propagates inevitability of Xi’s third term

In the run-up to the 20th National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), propaganda has been centered around projecting the inevitability of a third term for President Xi Jinping. Incidentally, at the end of his anticipated third term, President Xi would become the second longest-serving head of the CCP after Mao Zedong, who was in control of various positions for 33 years and 174 days. Xi would also surpass the tenure of Jiang Zemin, who led the CCP as General Secretary for 13 years and 145 days during the period 1989–2002.
Interestingly, the expected third term would provide Xi an opportunity to further stamp his authority on the party, military, and government with the intent of creating an enduring legacy. Meanwhile, the CCP, as part of its efforts to shore up public support for Xi’s third term, announced on September 27 that it would publish a compilation of documents, called the “Revitalisation Library,” which would highlight China’s pursuit of national rejuvenation as well as the long-term goals of the party.
President Xi underlined that the ‘Revitalisation Library’ is a major cultural project, aimed at bolstering public confidence in the country’s path. President Xi also reappeared (September 27) in public, for the first time in the aftermath of his return from Samarkand, and visited an exhibition in Beijing on the country’s achievements since 2012.
Xi was also accompanied by Beijing-based members of the Politburo of the CCP. Significantly, Xi calls Mao’s time the ‘revolution period,’ Deng Xiaoping’s the ‘building period,’ Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao’s the ‘reform period’ while calling his term a ‘whole new era.’

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Liz Truss’ government takes U-turn on plan to scrap 45% tax cut

Published

on

Liz Truss’ government takes U-turn on plan to scrap 45% tax cut

Days after UK Prime Minister Liz Truss insisted she would not abandon the tax cut for the wealthiest, the conservative government on Monday took a U-turn on the plan to scrap the 45 per cent tax cut.
The British government has announced it will reverse plans to scrap the highest rate of income tax following a major backlash to its proposed “growth plan,”. In a statement posted online Monday, new Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng said the plan “had become a distraction. We get it, and we have listened. “
Kwarteng said that the proposed scrapping of the 45% rate for those earning more than 150,000 pounds (USD 167,000) had become a “distraction.” “From supporting British businesses to lowering the tax burden for the lowest paid, our Growth Plan sets out a new approach to build a more prosperous economy,” he said in a statement on his Twitter account.
However, it is clear that the abolition of the 45% tax rate has become a distraction from our overriding mission to tackle the challenges facing our country, “he added.
As a result, I’m announcing we are not proceeding with the abolition of the 45% tax rate. He also defended the delay in the reversal, saying, “We can always have a debate about when we could’ve made the decision, but the important thing is we’ve made the decision and we can now move forward with making the push for the growth plan.”
The radical cuts sent the pound plunging to historic lows and sparked market chaos, leading to a revolt within the governing Conservative Party. The U-turn comes after several Tory MPs voiced their opposition to the plan announced just 10 days ago in the mini-budget.
The proposal to scrap the rate paid by people earning over £150,000 a year has been criticised as unfair at a time of rising living costs. The damage is already done in terms of the Truss government’s standing with the voters and the markets.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Death toll rises to 43 in suicide bombing at Kabul school

Published

on

Death toll rises to 43 in suicide bombing at Kabul school

The death toll from a suicide bombing at the Kaaj Educational Center in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, has gone up to 43. The casualty figures in Friday’s college bombing in the Hazara neighbourhood are likely to rise further, as per the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA). Till now, 43 people have been killed and around 83 have been wounded, with girls and young women as the main victims. The human toll from Friday’s college bombing in the Hasra neighbourhood of the Afghan capital continues to rise. 43 killed. 83 wounded Girls and young women are the main victims. Casualty figures are likely to rise further. “The verification process continues by UNAMA human rights teams in Kabul,” tweeted UNAMA.
Earlier, on Friday, a blast occurred in the 13th security area of Kabul, Taliban spokesperson Abdul Nafee Takour was quoted. Multiple media reports claim that about 100 students of the institute have been killed in the attack. However, the UNAMA said that its human rights teams in Kabul are helping to establish an accurate record of the college attack in the Hazara neighbourhood.
Earlier, a number of women from Afghanistan’s minority Hazara community on Saturday protested in Kabul against the terror attack at the Kaaj Educational Center. The female protestors dressed in black chanted slogans against the genocide of minorities and demanded their rights.
This explosion comes a few days after a blast was reported near the Wazir Akbar Khan area of Kabul that sparked a global outcry. The recent blast outside the Russian Embassy in Kabul was also condemned in the strongest terms.
This series of blasts comes as the Taliban completed one year of its rule in Afghanistan following the ouster of the US-backed civilian government last year. Rights groups said the Taliban had broken multiple pledges to respect human and women’s rights. Meanwhile, the Taliban on Monday shot into the crowd of young girls who were peacefully protesting in Herat to demand their right to go to school. 
Rights groups say that the Taliban’s human rights abuses have brought widespread condemnation and imperilled international efforts to address the country’s dire situation.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Bolsonaro to face Lula in run off to Brazil President poll

Published

on

Bolsonaro to face Lula in run off to Brazil President poll

Brazil’s incumbent President Jair Bolsonaro will face former President Luiz Inacio ‘Lula’ da Silva in the deciding second round of Brazil’s presidential election later this month.
Neither candidate was able to hit the 5 per cent mark needed to win in the first round, reported CNN. With more than 97 per cent of the vote counted on Sunday evening, results released by Brazil’s Electoral Superior Court (TSE) showed left-wing candidate and former president Luiz Silva held a slight lead over incumbent President Bolsonaro – but not enough to cross the threshold to victory.
Lula and Bolsonaro will face each other again on October 30 for a run-off vote, reported CNN. The vote on Sunday followed a bruising campaign season marked by bitter verbal attacks and a series of violent incidents between supporters of Bolsonaro and Lula. Several other presidential candidates were in the running but trailed far behind the two frontrunners.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

1700 killed, 12800 injured in rain, floods in Pakistan

Published

on

1700 killed, 12800 injured in rain, floods in Pakistan

At least 1,695 people were killed, while 12,865 were injured so far (2 October) since mid-June due to the devastating floods and rains in Pakistan, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said on Sunday.
Pakistan has endured severe monsoon weather since mid-June 2022, causing widespread flooding and landslides with severe repercussions on human lives, property, agriculture, and infrastructure. To date, 81 districts across five of Pakistan’s six provinces have been declared “calamity hit” by the government of Pakistan—with Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Sindh provinces being the worst hit. As of mid-September, 33 million people had been affected; at least 1,481 people have died; over 12,720 people have been injured; and an estimated 7.6 million people may be temporarily displaced.
The United Nations is set to launch another appeal this week for an additional USD 600 million to Pakistan to help the country recover from the impact of the record-breaking floods.
“2nd Follow-up meeting of the Steering Committee for Coordination Regarding International Assistance for Flood Relief Activities, chaired by Humair Karim, Acting Secretary EAD to discuss mapping of humanitarian assistance and relief efforts,” Pakistan’s Economic Affairs Division (EAD) said in a tweet. “The UN is in the process of launching a Revised Humanitarian Appeal on the 4th of October in which an additional USD 600 million will be requested for immediate relief assistance,” it added. Pakistan EAD Secretary Humair Karim informed donors and relief agencies that the UN would launch the revised humanitarian appeal on October 4 for USD 600 million in additional aid. Earlier, the UN launched a flash appeal in August for US $160 million for flood relief support.

Continue Reading

Trending