Anubrata Mondal skips CBI SUMMONS, hospital says ‘all well’ - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News

Anubrata Mondal skips CBI SUMMONS, hospital says ‘all well’

Published

on

After Partha Chatterjee, another Trinamool Congress heavyweight leader, Anubrata Mondal, is also likely to face the same fate, as the party, according to sources, is unlikely to back him any further to evade questioning or a possible arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Mondal, who is currently being investigated by the premier investigating agency for his alleged role in cattle smuggling from India into Bangladesh, had skipped his summon to appear before the CBI on Monday, citing poor health.

However, on reaching the SSKM hospital on Monday afternoon, where he was supposed to get his treatment and a possible admission into the hospital, things did not turn out according to his plan. The SSKM hospital, which is run by the state government, denied him admission into the hospital, citing that there was no ‘deterioration’ in the health of Anubrata Mondal and therefore he required no admission.

Sources from the SSKM hospital that spoke to The Daily Guardian said that the complaints with which Anubrata Mondal came to the hospital were his “chronic” problems and there were no new complaints by him. Therefore, the medical board, after checking all his vital parameters, refused him admission to the hospital.

“Mondal is suffering from chronic cough, neck and back pain, which is not a serious issue. He has been taking medications for the same. A team of doctors did a thorough medical check up and all his parameters were found to be normal. He has been taking prescribed medicines and has further been asked to continue with the same medicines. “ A senior official from the SSKM hospital told this correspondent.

The SSKM hospital, which received the intimation last evening about Mondal’s arrival on Monday, had formed a seven-member medical board consisting of doctors from the department of chest medicine, cardiology, surgery, endocrinology and general medicine to check on his health.

It is pertinent to mention here that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee holds the charge of the health department of West Bengal.

Anubrata Mondal, the Birbhum district president of the TMC, is one of the most powerful and a strong muscle man of the TMC. Mondal is also believed to be close to Mamata Banerjee, and it is under Mondal’s presidentship of the Birbhum district that the TMC had grown powerful in the area and had delivered favourable electoral results for the party year after year.

Mondal’s name surfaced in the cattle and coal smuggling cases in Bengal, which the CBI is investigating. However, Mondal has skipped multiple summons by the CBI till date, citing poor health, and each time a CBI summon reached Mondal’s door, he made his way to the SSKM hospital and got himself admitted. However, this time the story was different.

Despite being denied an admission, Mondal failed to reach the CBI headquarters located at the Nizam Palace in Bengal, but instead left for this home in Birbhum on Monday evening.

Mondal was summoned by the CBI on Monday after multiple places in Bengal, including the houses of his close aide in his home turf of Birbhum was raided by the CBI earlier last week, in connection with the cattle smuggling cases. Earlier, Mondal’s security guard and his close aides were also questioned by the CBI.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News Plus World

Death toll rises to 43 in suicide bombing at Kabul school

Published

on

Death toll rises to 43 in suicide bombing at Kabul school

The death toll from a suicide bombing at the Kaaj Educational Center in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, has gone up to 43. The casualty figures in Friday’s college bombing in the Hazara neighbourhood are likely to rise further, as per the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA). Till now, 43 people have been killed and around 83 have been wounded, with girls and young women as the main victims. The human toll from Friday’s college bombing in the Hasra neighbourhood of the Afghan capital continues to rise. 43 killed. 83 wounded Girls and young women are the main victims. Casualty figures are likely to rise further. “The verification process continues by UNAMA human rights teams in Kabul,” tweeted UNAMA.
Earlier, on Friday, a blast occurred in the 13th security area of Kabul, Taliban spokesperson Abdul Nafee Takour was quoted. Multiple media reports claim that about 100 students of the institute have been killed in the attack. However, the UNAMA said that its human rights teams in Kabul are helping to establish an accurate record of the college attack in the Hazara neighbourhood.
Earlier, a number of women from Afghanistan’s minority Hazara community on Saturday protested in Kabul against the terror attack at the Kaaj Educational Center. The female protestors dressed in black chanted slogans against the genocide of minorities and demanded their rights.
This explosion comes a few days after a blast was reported near the Wazir Akbar Khan area of Kabul that sparked a global outcry. The recent blast outside the Russian Embassy in Kabul was also condemned in the strongest terms.
This series of blasts comes as the Taliban completed one year of its rule in Afghanistan following the ouster of the US-backed civilian government last year. Rights groups said the Taliban had broken multiple pledges to respect human and women’s rights. Meanwhile, the Taliban on Monday shot into the crowd of young girls who were peacefully protesting in Herat to demand their right to go to school. 
Rights groups say that the Taliban’s human rights abuses have brought widespread condemnation and imperilled international efforts to address the country’s dire situation.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Bolsonaro to face Lula in run off to Brazil President poll

Published

on

Bolsonaro to face Lula in run off to Brazil President poll

Brazil’s incumbent President Jair Bolsonaro will face former President Luiz Inacio ‘Lula’ da Silva in the deciding second round of Brazil’s presidential election later this month.
Neither candidate was able to hit the 5 per cent mark needed to win in the first round, reported CNN. With more than 97 per cent of the vote counted on Sunday evening, results released by Brazil’s Electoral Superior Court (TSE) showed left-wing candidate and former president Luiz Silva held a slight lead over incumbent President Bolsonaro – but not enough to cross the threshold to victory.
Lula and Bolsonaro will face each other again on October 30 for a run-off vote, reported CNN. The vote on Sunday followed a bruising campaign season marked by bitter verbal attacks and a series of violent incidents between supporters of Bolsonaro and Lula. Several other presidential candidates were in the running but trailed far behind the two frontrunners.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

1700 killed, 12800 injured in rain, floods in Pakistan

Published

on

1700 killed, 12800 injured in rain, floods in Pakistan

At least 1,695 people were killed, while 12,865 were injured so far (2 October) since mid-June due to the devastating floods and rains in Pakistan, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said on Sunday.
Pakistan has endured severe monsoon weather since mid-June 2022, causing widespread flooding and landslides with severe repercussions on human lives, property, agriculture, and infrastructure. To date, 81 districts across five of Pakistan’s six provinces have been declared “calamity hit” by the government of Pakistan—with Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Sindh provinces being the worst hit. As of mid-September, 33 million people had been affected; at least 1,481 people have died; over 12,720 people have been injured; and an estimated 7.6 million people may be temporarily displaced.
The United Nations is set to launch another appeal this week for an additional USD 600 million to Pakistan to help the country recover from the impact of the record-breaking floods.
“2nd Follow-up meeting of the Steering Committee for Coordination Regarding International Assistance for Flood Relief Activities, chaired by Humair Karim, Acting Secretary EAD to discuss mapping of humanitarian assistance and relief efforts,” Pakistan’s Economic Affairs Division (EAD) said in a tweet. “The UN is in the process of launching a Revised Humanitarian Appeal on the 4th of October in which an additional USD 600 million will be requested for immediate relief assistance,” it added. Pakistan EAD Secretary Humair Karim informed donors and relief agencies that the UN would launch the revised humanitarian appeal on October 4 for USD 600 million in additional aid. Earlier, the UN launched a flash appeal in August for US $160 million for flood relief support.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Chinese nationals in Pakistan facing repeated attacks over Beijing’s ambitious CPEC projects

Published

on

Chinese nationals in Pakistan facing repeated attacks over Beijing’s ambitious CPEC projects

Ever since Beijing launched the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), the repeated attacks on Chinese nationals in Pakistan’s Sindh, Balochistan, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces and the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir region reveal the strong dissent of Pakistani nationals against Chinese interests.
Especially after Chinese hordes landed in Pakistan in connection with CPEC projects, different extremist groups have made Chinese interests targets of their attacks inside the country. Recently, a Chinese national was killed on Wednesday and two others were injured when an unidentified man opened fire inside a dental clinic in Karachi’s Saddar area.
According to the Asian Lite publication, since 2016, when Beijing launched the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), this was the 10th attack on Chinese nationals and interests in Pakistan. In Karachi, this was the second attack on Chinese nationals since the Shehbaz Sharif government came into power.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

15-year-old boy shot during ‘verbal dispute’ in US

Published

on

15-year-old boy shot during ‘verbal dispute’ in US

A 15-year-old boy was shot during an argument with two people on a Bronx street, according to a media report. New York City Police are in search of the two suspects, as per Fox News. The shooting occurred around 11:00 PM on Friday in the Bronx neighbourhood of Castle Hill. The teen got into a “verbal dispute” with the two suspects before one of them opened fire, the media outlet reported.
Both the suspects fled from the scene. Shooting incidents in the United States have been common these days. In early September, one student was killed and another was injured in a stabbing at a high school in North Carolina.
Prior to that, a 15-year-old teenager was apprehended for allegedly shooting and injuring two fellow students in Washington, according to DC police. A 19-year-old man was also charged with murder in a series of random shootings over around two hours last weekend in Detroit that killed three people. US President Joe Biden has said that he is determined to ban assault weapons in America amid the increasing gun violence in the country.
He went on to say he had helped ban assault weapons previously, referring to the 1994 ban he helped usher in while serving in the US Senate. Notably, Congress passed a 10-year ban on assault weapons in 1994.
Meanwhile, authorities announced that it will soon be forbidden to carry a firearm, even concealed, in the famed Times Square district and other public places in the city and state of New York.
Mayor Eric Adams, as quoted by The Washington Times, has said that visitors to New York City will see signs in Times Square advertising it as a “sensitive location” where people cannot carry guns.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Sri Lanka cuts tax on female hygiene products amid economic crisis

Published

on

Sri Lanka cuts tax on female hygiene products amid economic crisis

Amid the ongoing economic crisis in the country, Sri Lanka has cut taxes on female sanitary products in a bid to help women unable to afford the hygiene product, according to reports.
Local media News First citing the presidential media division reported that the “government has taken measures to waive duties imposed on five imported raw materials for locally produced sanitary napkins.” “It (the government) has also been decided to provide tax concessions for imported finished sanitary napkins as well,” News First reported further.
According to the reports, a price of a pack of 10 sanitary napkins produced locally will be reduced by Rs 50 to Rs 60 with these tax concessions, and the maximum retail price of a pack will be Rs. 260-Rs 270. The consumer retail prices of imported finished products will be reduced by 18 per cent or 19 per cent.
Sri Lanka continues to reel under a severe economic crisis. Earlier, protesting the dire conditions, Sri Lankan protesters had broken into then Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s private residence and set it on fire. They were angered by the unprecedented economic crisis. During those protests, several journalists were also attacked by the security forces after which more protestors gathered in the area. Notably, Sri Lanka is suffering from its worst economic crisis since gaining independence in 1948, threatening to undo years of development progress.

Continue Reading

Trending