47,000 pregnant women in dire need of care in flood-hit Sindh - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

Nation

47,000 pregnant women in dire need of care in flood-hit Sindh

Published

on

More than 47,000 pregnant women affected by the floods in Pakistan are in shelter camps across Sindh Province, local media citing the provincial health minister reported on Sunday. Sindh Health Minister Azra Pechuho has shared statistics of women affected by the flood. She said hundreds of thousands of people have contracted various diseases after the floods. “More than 134,000 cases of diarrhoea and 44,000 cases of malaria have been reported in the province,” she added, as quoted by Dawn. On August 30, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), a sexual and reproductive health agency, said that at least 650,000 pregnant women, of whom 73,000 were expected to deliver this month across the country, in the flood-affected areas were in dire need of maternal health services.

According to Pechuho, over 100,000 skin-related injuries, 101 snake bites, and 500 dog bites have been reported among flood victims so far, according to the Dawn newspaper. The UN agency had also warned that many women and girls were at an increased risk of gender-based violence (GBV) as almost one million houses were damaged in the floods that spelled suffering for millions across Pakistan. “Up to 73,000 women expected to deliver in September will need skilled birth attendants, newborn care, and support,” the agency had said, as quoted by Dawn.

PAKISTAN: Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif shared information about the devastating floods on Sunday and said that as many as 400 children have died due to the natural calamity. Taking to Twitter, Shehbaz Sharif urged UNICEF and other international organisations to deal with the risks associated with children in the floods, ARY News reported. “As a result of climate change, children are affected the most by flood disasters. Unfortunately, 400 children died, which is one-third of the total number of deaths. I appeal for help from UNICEF and other international organisations to save the lives of these children who are victims of water-borne diseases,” he said in a tweet.

According to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) report, which was published on Saturday, the death toll had climbed to 1,290 as 26 more deaths were reported.  Meanwhile, Pakistani government agencies and private NGOs continue with their relief operations, described as a “humanitarian disaster of epic proportions.” Large parts of the country remain submerged, particularly the provinces of Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Sindh in the south. At least 180 people have died in Sindh, followed by Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (138) and Balochistan (125), reported Geo News.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

Nation

Kerala HC orders PFI to deposit Rs 5.20 cr for damages incurred during strike on 23 September

Published

on

Kerala HC orders PFI to deposit Rs 5.20 cr for damages incurred during strike on 23 September

The Kerala High Court has directed the Popular Front of India (PFI), led by general secretary Abdul Sattar, to deposit an amount of Rs 5.20 crores with the state Home Department for the damages incurred during its hartal on 23 September.
The court has directed to deposit this amount within a period of two weeks. The amount was estimated by the state and the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) as arising from the destruction and damage caused to public property following the hartal called by the outfit, which now stands banned by the government of India, against the pan-India raids by the National Investigation Agency on September 22, in which over 106 of PFI’s members were arrested.
The court issued a stern warning that the state government shall take “immediate steps to proceed against the assets and properties of PFI” as well as the personal assets of its office-bearers, including the secretary, if the general secretary fails to deposit the amount.
“The action of the PFI inciting their supporters and goading them into the violent acts that were witnessed across the State on September 23 cannot be legally countenanced. Flash hartal in the state is not going to happen irrespective of a political group, parties any others. Life of citizens cannot be put in peril. The message is loud and clear. If anybody does it, this will be the consequence. You can have your demonstration peacefully against any cause. The Constitution permits it. But no flash hartal,” observed the court.
The court also directed the state government to make PFI General Secretary Abdul Sattar an additional accused in all cases registered across the state following the PFI hartal.
Following this, the Court said, “Let him go to every court and obtain bail. We will also issue directions to all the Sessions and Magistrate courts wherever the bail application of the PFI workers comes out, to insist on a deposit of an amount equivalent to the loss incurred for damaging the property as a bail condition.”
The observations of the court came during the hearing of a suo motu case against PFI leaders who called for a hartal in the state against the arrest of its members by the NIA. The matter was considered by the Division Bench consisting of Justice AK Jayasankaran Nambiar and Justice Mohammed Nias CP.
Following the hartal (strike), incidents of stone pelting and attacks on vehicles, including KSRTC buses, by protesters were reported from various places in the state.
The PFI was banned by the Center late Tuesday night.
Abdul Sattar, who had been allegedly absconding but was arrested soon after the radical outfit was banned in India, has been handed over to the NIA, a senior police official said Thursday.
Sattar, the Kerala state general secretary of the Popular Front of India, was arrested from his office in Kollam district Wednesday. His arrest came hours after the government announced a ban on PFI for allegedly having terror links.
Sattar had called for a state-wide hartal on September 23 against raids on the outfit and arrests of its leaders. During the hartal, there were reports of violence from Kerala.

Continue Reading

Nation

Rahul Gandhi’s posters torn in Karnataka before Bharat Jodo Yatra

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi’s posters torn in Karnataka before Bharat Jodo Yatra

Ahead of the Bharat Jodo Yatra entering Karnataka, welcome flexes bearing pictures of Congress MP Rahul Gandhi were seen vandalised in Gundlupet town in the Chamarajanagar district of the state on Thursday.
Congress installed the flexes to welcome Rahul Gandhi, who is scheduled to arrive in Gundlupet on September 30.Other flexes that were put on the highway passing through Gundlupet and had pictures of different Congress Party leaders were also torn, according to reports.
More than 40 flexes were reported to be torn. The Congress leaders have accused the Bhartiya Janta Party’s workers of this “mischief.”
Previously, senior BJP leaders seemed to be targeting the Congress Party’s Bharat Jodo Yatra elsewhere. Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Narottam Mishra said earlier that the Bharat Jodo Yatra of the party has turned into a Leave Congress Project. “The Bharta Jodo Yatra has become the Congress Chodo Yatra (Quit Congress Yatra). Ghulam Nabi Azad Ji’s resignation from Congress shows that now there is an atmosphere of panic in the party,” said Mishra in a video he tweeted.
Rahul Gandhi is currently leading the Bharat Jodo Yatra, the party’s first national campaign in decades. The 3,500-km march from Kanyakumari to Kashmir will be completed in 150 days and cover as many as 12 states. From Kerala, the Yatra will traverse through the state for the next 18 days, reaching Karnataka on September 30. It will be in Karnataka for 21 days before moving north. The padyatra (march) will cover a distance of 25 km every day.

Continue Reading

Nation

Aadhaar usage surge: 220 crore authentications done in August

Published

on

Aadhaar usage surge: 220 crore authentications done in August

Aadhaar usage and adoption continue to grow at a rapid pace with the number of authentication transactions surging to 219.71 crore in August, registering a growth of over 44 per cent when compared with the previous month, according to data released by the Ministry of Electronics & IT
on Thursday.
A majority of these monthly transaction numbers were done by using fingerprint biometric authentication (128.56 crore), followed by demographic authentications and OTP authentications. As of the end of August 2022, a cumulative number of 8074.95 crore Aadhaar authentications have been carried out so far, as against 7855.24 crore such authentications by the end of July.
The number of e-KYC transactions executed via Aadhaar stood at 23.45 crore in August. The cumulative number of e-KYC transactions so far increased from 1249.23 crore in July to 1272.68 crore by the end of August, the government
data showed.
An e-KYC transaction is done only with the explicit consent of the Aadhaar holder and eliminates physical paperwork and in-person verification requirements for KYC. The Aadhaar e-KYC service is increasingly playing an important role for banking and non-banking financial services in providing better and more transparent customer experiences and ease of doing business. In August, residents successfully updated 1.46 crore Aadhaar numbers, and cumulatively till date (end of August), 65.01 crore Aadhaar numbers have been successfully updated.

Continue Reading

Nation

HC notice to Delhi Govt, MCD on PIL seeking remedial steps to save cows

Published

on

HC notice to Delhi Govt, MCD on PIL seeking remedial steps to save cows

The Delhi High Court has issued notice to the Government of NCT Delhi and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) on a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking direction from concerned authorities to take immediate remedial steps to eliminate the contagious viral disease known as “lumpskin disease.”
The Bench of Justice Satish Chander Sharma and Justice Subramonium Prasad on Wednesday directed the respondents to file a reply within a period of 10 days and listed the matter for 14th October. The plea submitted that Lumpy Skin Disease is a Contagious Viral disease that spreads among cattle, Bovine ( Cow family) through mosquitoes, flies, lice, and wasps by direct contact, and also through contaminated food and water. The disease causes fever and nodules on the skin, and it can be fatal.
Petitioner Ajay Gautam stated that Lumpy Skin Disease has killed nearly 70,000 cattle in the country to date, and numbers are increasing day by day.
It is submitted that the Lumpy Virus disease has created havoc in several states of India, and the most effective states are Rajasthan and Himachal. This disease has now knocked on the doors of Delhi too and has started affecting the cows of the city.
These infected cows require immediate medical attention. This disease can turn into an epidemic. As a result, immediate action is required to prevent the spread of this disease among our holy cows, according to the plea.
According to the petitioner, everyday cows are dying on road due to these reasons, and the helpline number issued is not responding and answering calls/queries related to Lumpi Skin Virus properly. It further stated that the respondents have set up only one isolation shelter for cows in Rewala, Khanpur South-West District, for 4500 cattle. Although there are more than 20,000 to 25,000 stray cows in the National Capital.
The plea further alleges that ambulance service is available for Holy Cows so as to rescue or send them from other parts of Delhi to the South-west district isolation shelter and no place has been identified, allotted or proposed by respondents for the burial of infected Cows.

Continue Reading

Nation

DRDO to manufacture ‘Make in India’ K9 Scent Pads

Published

on

DRDO to manufacture 'Make in India' k9 Scent Pads

The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has been taking the help of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) in manufacturing “Make in India” K9 Scent Pads, which will be produced at 1/100th of the cost of those being procured from abroad.
This initiative of the ITBP to approach DRDO would help all Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and state police organisations and security forces, including the Indian Army, in having specific explosive and narcotic scent kits to enhance the olfactory conditioning of K9s or police dogs in the detection of explosives and narcotics. The K9 Scent Pads being used by the dog squad teams of all CAPFs and other police organisations are still procured from foreign countries.
For the project, the DRDO has been roping in their world-renowned biochemistry and material physics experts at the DRDO HQ in New Delhi and the DRDO Gwalior to conduct pioneering research and development to manufacture K9 Target Odor Scent Pads.
This would be a unique, never before attempted “Make in India for India” project to break the foreign monopoly, according to a statement from ITBP.
Dr Sangita Rao Achary Addanki, Director DLIC DRDO, and Dr Om Kumar, Scientist G, a world-renowned biochemistry expert, are leading this project to produce K9 Scent Pads at 1/100th the cost of foreign K9 Scent Pads.

Continue Reading

Nation

HC issues notice on plea seeking constitution of ICC

Published

on

Delhi high court

The Delhi High Court on Wednesday issued notice to the Police Commissioner on a plea of a woman cop seeking constitution of the Internal Complaint Committee (ICC) by the South Delhi DCP for redressal of sexual harassment complaints.
It is alleged that she had been sexually harassed by the accused. She said that the ICC should have been constituted within three months of the incident as per the guidelines laid by the Supreme Court, but to date, it has not been constituted.
Justice Anu Malhotra issued a notice to the Delhi Government’s Commissioner of Police Delhi and Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP)-South.
The matter has been listed on October 19 for hearing. This matter pertains to an FIR under sections of rape and intimidation registered on August 3, 2021, at Malviya Nagar police station in Delhi on the complaint of the petitioner against a Sub Inspector of Delhi Police.
The bench postponed the hearing and directed that it be re-notified for October 19, 2022, when bail applications will also be listed.

Continue Reading

Trending