OVER 3,800 DETAINED, 26 KILLED IN KAZAKHSTAN DURING UNREST - The Daily Guardian
Connect with us

News Plus World

OVER 3,800 DETAINED, 26 KILLED IN KAZAKHSTAN DURING UNREST

Published

on

Kazakhstan’s police detained 3,811 individuals during several days of riots across the country, according to Interior Ministry numbers reported by Kazakh media.

Since the start of the turmoil, which grew particularly violent on Wednesday, 26 people have been killed and an equivalent number have been injured, as per government figures acquired by Tengrinews.kz, reported Sputnik. Another 56 people were brought to hospitals, with 25 of them in intensive care, reported Sputnik. Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev said on Friday expressing his condolences to the families of those killed during the protests.

Violent protests in the Kyzylorda region on the border with Uzbekistan left 182 people injured, according to the Khabar 24 news station, reported the global news agency.

“Not only administrative buildings but also the personal property of civilians, not to mention the health and lives of hundreds of civilians and servicemen, suffered from the actions of the bandits. I express my sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims,” Tokayev said in his address.

Tokayev also noted that hundreds of Kazakh servicemen and citizens were either killed or injured as the result of recent protests in the city of Almaty.

Mass protests in Kazakhstan began earlier in the week as residents of Zhanaozen and Aktau opposed a two-fold increase in prices for liquefied petroleum gas. The protests then spread to other cities, resulting in violent clashes with the police, looting and vandalism. President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev declared a state of emergency until January 19 and invited the Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) peacekeeping forces to help bring the situation under control.

Peacekeeping contingents from Russia and Belarus have arrived in Kazakhstan to protect strategic infrastructure facilities, including the Baikonur cosmodrome. According to CSTO Secretary General Stanislav Zas, the peacekeeping force is comprised of 2,500 troops on the ground and this number may increase if necessary.

Also during a shootout, a driver of a camera crew of the Almaty broadcaster was killed near the presidential residence in the Kazakh city of Almaty, media reported on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the United Nations has seen reports that police officers and protesters have been killed in Kazakhstan, but it is hard for the organisation to confirm this information, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Thursday.

The spokesman also said all UN personnel, including about 285 international and national staff and 25 employees working from Kazakhstan for the UN Mission in neighboring Afghanistan, are safe and accounted for.

The UK government on Thursday voiced concern over violent clashes that had erupted in Kazakhstan and called for peaceful protests and a “proportionate” response from authorities. “We are concerned by the violent clashes in Kazakhstan in recent days and are following developments closely. We call for calm and we condemn acts of violence and the destruction of property and buildings,” a spokesperson for the Foreign Office said in a statement.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan also spoke with Russian President Vladimir Putin over the phone and discussed the situation in Kazakhstan. “Pashinyan and Putin discussed the situation in Kazakhstan, as well as the progress in implementing joint steps within the CSTO [Collective Security Treaty Organisation],” Sputnik quoted, according to the Armenian Cabinet of Minister’s statement on Friday. Pashinyan, as the current rotating chair of the CSTO, officially gave the order to begin the peacekeeping mission in protest-hit Kazakhstan. In the same light, Armenia’s permanent representative to the United Nations informed the organisation of the CSTO mission in the Central Asian country.

Meanwhile, Turkish Airlines, Turkey’s flagship carrier, has decided to suspend passengers flights to Kazakhstan over the unrest in the Central Asian nation until January 9, media reported.

The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.

For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.

News Plus World

ANTI-MILITARY PROTESTS WILL INTENSIFY IN SUDAN

Published

on

Anti-military protests are likely to intensify in Sudan after security forces killed seven protesters. As per the local media reports, seven people were killed and dozens injured as the security forces used gunshots and tear gas to stop lakhs of protesters who were marching towards the presidential palace in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan.

The groups who were leading the protest movement told the media that in the coming days a massive protest against the massacre committed by the military would be organised. Spokesperson of one protesting group named Committee of Sudanese Doctors said, “They also fired live ammunition and stun grenades, the security forces did a massacre today, what we demand is civilian rule and democracy,”.

Many countries condemned the violence and the United States’s Assistant Secretary of State Molly Phee is heading to Sudan to assess the situation and has called the military to end violence and respect freedom of expression. Political parties in Sudan had announced two days of civil disobedience in protest against the current violence.

Huge crowds have regularly taken to the streets demanding a return to civilian rule since the military coup on October 25. The power grab by military chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan more than two months ago dismantled a precarious power-sharing arrangement between the military and civilians established in the wake of the April 2019 ouster of longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir.

Sudan, a country located in Northeast Africa is the third-largest country by area in Africa and the Arab League had seen many coups in the past and the current military coup resulted in the capture of the civilian government, including former Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok. The coup was led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan who subsequently declared a state of emergency. On November 21, Hamdok was reinstated as prime minister after a political agreement was signed by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan to restore the transition to civilian rule. The 14-point deal called for the release of all political prisoners detained during the coup and stipulated that a 2019 constitutional declaration continued to be the basis for a political transition. On January 2, Hamdok announced his resignation from the position of Prime Minister which led to this current wave of protest.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Twitter bans account linked to Iran leader over video threatening Donald Trump

Published

on

Twitter suspended an account related to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on which a video calling for revenge for Iranian commander General Qassem Soleimani assassination against former United States president Donald Trump was posted.

Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Talking to the media, spokesperson of the social media company said, “The account referenced has been permanently suspended for violating our ban evasion policy,”. In the recent past also many accounts of the Iranian government and its leaders were suspended by Twitter over posts which called for the killing of the United States president and the top officials.

The account which had been suspended is @KhameneiSite, and an animated video titled “Revenge is Definite”, showing an unmanned aircraft targeting Trump was posted. The title “Revenge is Definite” was also posted on Khamenei’s official website.

Twitter had stated that its policies around abusive behavior is clear and it had taken action as per its policies. On January 3, which marks the second anniversary of the assassination, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and the Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi also threatened the United States with revenge.

As head of the Quds Force, the foreign operations arm of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards (IRG), General Soleimani was the main strategist who handled the country’s proxies around the Middle Eastern countries and aimed to increase the influence of Tehran across the region. He was killed in a United States drone attack near the Baghdad International airport in January 2020. Iranian government and its leadership had repeatedly promised to avenge his death and teach the US harsh lessons.

Iran and the United States shares a bitter relationship and have had no formal diplomatic relation since April 7, 1980. Contacts are carried out through informal channels and the Iranian interests Section of the Pakistani Embassy in Washington, D.C. and the US Interests Section of the Swiss Embassy in Tehran.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

NORTH KOREA REACTS STRONGLY TO SANCTIONS BY U.S.

Published

on

Kim

North Korea had reacted sharply at the United States sanctions which is in response to its recent hypersonic missile tests this week and vowed a “stronger and certain reaction” to the Western world’s attempt to halt its weapons programs.

In a statement, North Korea’s Foreign Ministry said, “The pursuit of the advanced hypersonic missiles system, which is designed to evade existing defenses, is North Korea’s legitimate right. Washington’s move to slap sanctions on North Koreans who advanced its nuclear and ballistic weapons programs was a dangerous escalation.” It added, “The United States is intentionally escalating the situation even with the activation of independent sanctions, not content with referring to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s just activity to the UN Security Council. If the U.S. adopts such a confrontational stance, the DPRK will be forced to take a stronger and certain reaction to it,”. The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea is the official name of North Korea.

The recent events have up the ante in the Korean peninsula while the United States is pushing North Korea to return to nuclear disarmament talks while the ruling regime in Pyongyang had stepped up its production of fissile material for nuclear bombs and tested new systems to deliver atomic warheads.

Tensions between Washington and Pyongyang increased as North Korea tested two missiles within a week which are designed to deploy a hypersonic glide vehicle that can maneuver at high speeds during an unpowered flight to strike a target and Pyongyang claimed that they hit a target 1,000 kilometers away during the tests.

After the tests, Washington designated five North Koreans living overseas — one in Russia, and four in China — for aiding the country’s weapons programs and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, “These designations convey our serious and ongoing concern about the DPRK’s continued proliferation activities and those who support it. We remain committed to seeking dialogue and diplomacy with the DPRK and call on the DPRK to engage in negotiations.”

North Korea, officially the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK),is a country in East Asia, a totalitarian dictatorship, constituting the northern part of the Korean Peninsula. It borders China and Russia to the north and South Korea to the south at the Korean Demilitarized Zone. North Korea, like its southern counterpart, claims to be the legitimate government of the entire peninsula and adjacent islands. It holds elections, though they have been described by independent observers as sham elections as the country revolves around the personality of the Kim dynasty and their loyal elite club.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

US HOUSE COMMITTEE SEEKS COOPERATION FROM TOP HOUSE REPUBLICAN

Published

on

The U.S. House panel investigating the January 6 Capitol riot on Wednesday asked House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy for a voluntary interview and records in his possession that is related to the attack.

The panel in a letter to the California Republican requested information about his communications with then-President Donald Trump “before, during and after” 6 January 2021, when a mob of Trump’s supporters besieged the Capitol in an attempt to stop Congress from certifying the 2020 presidential election results.

It also wanted to learn about how McCarthy, the top Republican in the House, interacted with Trump, White House staff and others in the week after the riot, “particularly regarding President Trump’s state of mind at that time,” according to the letter the panel sent to McCarthy.

“We also must learn about how the President’s plans for January 6th came together, and all the other ways he attempted to alter the results of the election. For example, in advance of January 6th, you reportedly explained to Mark Meadows and the former President that objections to the certification of the electoral votes on January 6 ‘was doomed to fail,’” said Bennie Thompson, Democrat from Mississippi who chairs the January 6 panel.

Thompson said the committee wanted to meet with McCarthy as soon as Feb. 3. McCarthy is the third GOP member of the House with whom the committee has sought cooperation on a voluntary basis after two similar requests were turned down by representatives Scott Perry of Pennsylvania and Jim Jordan of Ohio.

Considered one of Trump’s most loyal allies in Congress, McCarthy said during a floor speech in the House chamber seven days after the riot that Trump “bears responsibility” for the attack.

But his public statements regarding the events on January 6 “changed markedly” after he met with Trump at the former president’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida on 28 January 2021, the committee alleged in the letter, asking McCarthy if he had been pressured by Trump or his representatives on what he should say about his conversations with Trump on January 6.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Pakistan’s passport ranks fourth worst for international travel

Published

on

The Pakistani passport has been ranked as the fourth worst passport for international travel for the third consecutive year, local media reported citing the report by the Henley Passport Index 2022 on Thursday.

According to the report, Pakistani passport holders have visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 31 destinations around the world. The Henley Passport Index, which is a ranking of all the world’s passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa, placed Pakistan on the 108th position. Henley & Partners firm’s “Henley Passport Index” has been regularly monitoring the world’s most travel-friendly passports since 2006, The News International reported.

“The increasing travel barriers that have been introduced over the course of the Covid-19 pandemic have resulted in the widest global mobility gap in the index’s 16-year history,” said the report.

The index doesn’t take temporary restrictions into account, so leaving actual current travel access aside, holders of the passports at the top of its ranking — Japan and Singapore — are able, in theory, to travel visa-free to 192 destinations, The News International reported.

That’s 166 more destinations than Afghan nationals, who sit at the bottom of the index of 199 passports, and can access just 26 countries without requiring a visa in advance.

Further down the top 10, the rankings remain virtually unchanged as we enter the first quarter of 2022. South Korea is tied with Germany in second place (with a score of 190) and Finland, Italy, Luxembourg and Spain are all together in third place (with a score of 189), the Pakistani publication reported.

It further reported that the EU countries dominate the top of the list as usual, with France, Netherlands and Sweden climbing one spot to join Austria and Denmark in fourth place (with a score of 188). Ireland and Portugal are in fifth place (with a score of 187). The United States and the United Kingdom, which held the top spot together back in 2014, have regained a little ground.

Continue Reading

News Plus World

Europe’s policy allows it to be ‘influential player’ in relation to Russia, China

Published

on

Europe’s overall policy allows it to be an “influential player,” German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said on Thursday ahead of the informal EU meeting in France.

“Strengthening Europe’s role in the world requires more than managing current crises, it also requires long-term strategies and planning. It is for this reason that we are working within the EU on the so-called ‘strategic compass’, which we will discuss in detail with defense ministers today,” the minister said in a statement. This strategic compass aims to show the EU and its member states a clear direction for future security policy. In relation to autocratic states, such as Russia and China, in particular, it is important: if Europe follows a common course and acts as a whole, it is a heavyweight, and if it acts without unity, then it fights in its own weight category,” she added.

Baerbock also said that it is planned to sum up the interim results of this week’s negotiations with Russia during the informal summit of EU foreign ministers.

Continue Reading

Trending