South Africa Test skipper Dean Elgar on Tuesda said that Ravichandran Ashwin is one of the best off-spinners India have ever produced and his side would be required to bring their A-game to tackle the ace bowler.
India and South Africa will lock horns in three Tests and three ODIs. The Boxing Day Test will begin on December 26 at the SuperSport Park, Centurion. “I do not think Ravichandran Ashwin has had much success in South Africa which is okay for us. You cannot really compare to the success he has had against our batters in India because conditions are so different. We have to focus on our game plan, each player has been working on his individual game plan. It is important not to focus on just one player in their lineup,” said Elgar while replying to an ANI query during a virtual press conference.
“India is a good side, they tick all the boxes. Ashwin is a quality bowler, probably one of the best off-spinners India has ever produced. We will be mindful of that, it will be a challenge to compete against them,” he added.
Talking about India’s bowling attack, Elgar said: “India has an immensely improved bowling lineup. As I mentioned earlier, we will be mindful of the fact that we will be up against a very good bowling attack. Being in South Africa, we will feel a lot more accustomed to our own conditions. Hopefully, we can use that to our advantage. We know it will be tough but it will be tough for the India batters to face our attack as well.”
“I rather be sitting here than possibly sitting in the Indian dressing room knowing they have to face our bowlers,” he added.
When asked about the conditions in Centurion, Elgar said: “I hope rain stays away, there has been a lot of rain so hopefully that stays away. Centurion has been providing very good wickets. It has always been a pretty good place if you apply yourself as a batter. With the ball in hand, you can exploit the conditions if you have extra pace and bounce.” “If you apply yourself as a batter, you can score runs at Centurion. If you have some skill and you are willing to stay patient, the bowlers can also enjoy themselves at Centurion,” he added. Earlier on Tuesday, pacer Anrich Nortje was ruled out of the upcoming three-match Test series against India.
The Daily Guardian is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thedailyguardian) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
For the latest news Download The Daily Guardian App.
WORKLOAD MANAGEMENT OF JHULAN IMPORTANT, WE WANT HER TO BE AT PEAK IN WC: R. POWAR
India women’s cricket team head coach Ramesh Powar on Sunday said that the workload management of senior bowler Jhulan Goswami would be really important in the New Zealand series as the side wants her to be at her peak when the 50-over World Cup starts.
India will depart for New Zealand to lock horns with the White Ferns in one T20I and five ODIs, beginning February 9 in Napier. And then the Mithali-led side would compete in the 50-over World Cup. “Workload management of Jhulan Goswami would be important. Not just Jhulan, but everybody. When you look at the New Zealand series and World Cup games, in all it will be 14-15 games so we have planned accordingly right from the Australia series. I think the medical staff of our team is doing a fantastic job, they are looking after each and every player,” said Powar while replying to an ANI query during a virtual press conference.
“There is always a special eye on Jhulan because we want her to be at her peak when World Cup starts. We are managing as per we play games, the medical team is doing a fine job,” he added. After the game against Pakistan (March 6) in the Women’s World Cup, India will square off against New Zealand (March 10), West Indies (March 12), England (March 16), Australia (March 19), Bangladesh (March 22), and South Africa (March 27) in the group stage.
When asked whether he had communication with the dropped players (Punam Raut, Jemimah Rodrigues, Shikha Pandey), Powar said: “I think every player in the scheme of things knows where they stand and what is their present and future. I think everyone knows on this team where they stand. We do not have to communicate differently to them, they know where they stand.”
RAFAEL NADAL DECIMATES MANNARINO TO STORM INTO QUARTER-FINALS
Sixth-seed Rafael Nadal decimated Adrian Mannarino of France 7-6 (16-14), 6-2, 6-2 in a match that lasted for two hours and 40 minutes to enter the quarter-finals of men’s singles here at the Rod Laver Arena on Sunday.
The opening set started off on a competitive note with both the players holding their serves to take it to a tie-break. The tie-breaker turned out to be an even intense battle where both Nadal and Mannarino saved three set points each. Ultimately the 20-time grand slam champion held his nerve to win the tie-breaker 16-14 in the seventh set point of the set. Unlike the first, the second set turned out to be a completely different story with the 2009 Australian Open Champion Nadal dictating terms right from the word go by breaking Frenchman Mannarino in the very first game. The Spaniard looked unstoppable and broke his opponent again in the fifth game to take a 4-1 lead and ultimately winning the set 6-2.
In the third set as well, the 20-time grand slam champion Nadal started on a similar note by breaking Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in the opening game. In the very next game Mannarino broke back to level the score 1-1 in second set. But that break hardly affected the Spaniard as he broke his opponent in the next game and never looked back.
He broke him again in the fifth game to take a convincing 4-1 lead and bagged the third set with a similar score line of second. Rafael Nadal hit 16 aces and 42 winners enroute to his entry in last-8.
AUSTRALIAN OPEN: SANIA MIRZA, RAJEEV RAM CRUISE INTO MIXED DOUBLES QUARTER-FINALS
Mix doubles team of India’s Sania Mirza and USA’s Rajeev Ram cruised into the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Sunday.
Playing at Court 3, the Indo-American pair defeated the duo of Matwe Middelkoopa from the Netherlands and Australian Ellen Perez in the second round. It took Mirza and Ram one hour and 27 minutes to defeat the Dutch-Aussie pair by 7-6(4), 6-4. The wild-card duo who had defeated the third-seeds Robert Farah-Nicole Melichar in the previous round started the match at a good pace against Mirza and Ram. But Indo-American pair gained the upper hand after taking the first set in a critical tie-breaker.
With momentum on their side, Mirza and Ram upped their ante and cruised to a straight-set win after they broke their opponents early in second. The unseeded Sania Mirza – Rajeev Ram, both former Grand Slam champions, won the first-round match 6-3, 7-6(3). Both Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna were ousted from the women’s and men’s doubles, respectively, in the opening round.
Match between India, Chinese Taipei cancelled after positive cases in Blue Tigresses’ camp
Group A clash between India and Chinese Taipei in the ongoing AFC Women’s Asian Cup, 2022, which was scheduled to be played on Sunday evening, has been cancelled after a string of positive COVID-19 cases in the Indian camp.
“Following several positive cases of COVID-19, India failed to name the required minimum of 13 players for the Group A match against Chinese Taipei. In accordance with Article 4.1 of the ‘Special Rules Applicable to AFC Competitions during the COVID-19 pandemic’ (Special Rules), India was therefore unable to participate in the match and the full provisions of Article 4.1 will apply,” stated AFC in an official statement. “Further, the inability of India to participate in the match also triggers Article 6 of the AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 regulations,” stated further.
The AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 will continue to be played as scheduled with the Group winners, runners-up and the two best third-placed teams qualifying to the quarter-finals. The matter will now be referred to the relevant AFC Committee(s) in accordance with the applicable regulations.
It was also stated that the AFC has maintained an open line of communication with the teams and participating Member Associations throughout the competition to deal with all their concerns and enquiries in a timely manner.
The AFC Medical Team continues to work closely with the Local Organising Committee and the AIFF to prioritise the health and wellbeing of the teams, officials and stakeholders. Appropriate medical care is being provided to the infected players and the AFC wishes them a full and speedy recovery.
Chinese Taipei had gone down 0-4 to China in their opening match. As things stand, China are at the top of Group A with three points, while India and Iran are tied for the second spot with one point each.
Chinese Taipei are yet to open their account. India had played out a goalless draw against IR Iran in their opening match of the tournament.
P.V. SINDHU DEFEATS MALVIKA BANSOD, WINS SYED MODI INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT
India shuttler PV Sindhu on Sunday won the women’s singles title at the Syed Modi International tournament.
At the Babu Banarasi Indoor Stadium, top-seed Sindhu defeated Malvika Bansod 21-13, 21-16 in the summit clash that lasted for 35 minutes. The 26-year-old Sindhu brought her A-game to the court and she won the first game quite comprehensively. From there on, Sindhu carried on with the momentum and she wrapped up the match in straight sets.
Earlier, the men’s singles final of the Syed Modi India International 2022 was declared a ‘No Match’, Badminton World Federation (BWF) confirmed on Sunday. The men’s singles final was slated to be contested between Arnaud Merkle and Lucas Claerbout.
“BWF can confirm one of the finalists tested positive for COVID-19 this morning,” stated an official statement.
India whitewashed in SA ODI series
India suffered an ODI series whitewash of 3-0 after losing the third and final match against South Africa by four runs here at the Newlands Cricket ground on Sunday.
Chasing 288 to avoid a series whitewash against Proteas the visitors did not get an ideal start losing captain KL Rahul in the fifth over for 9 caught by Janneman Malan of Lungi Ngidi’s bowling with only 18 runs on the board. Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli then stitched a partnership as India went past the 50-run mark in the tenth over. The duo soon notched up a fifty run stand scoring runs at a brisk pace. Dhawan went on to score his 35th ODI fifty and his second of the series.
The rub of the green also went India’s way as Kohli’s outside edge went away from the first slip fielder and the team reached the triple-figure mark in the 19th over. India lost the wicket against the run of play of Dhawan as a leading-edge went up in the air and keeper Quinton de Kock made no mistake to take the catch of Andile Phehlukwayo’s bowling.
In the same over Rishabh Pant got out to a golden duck leaving India in a spot of bother at 118 for 3. The loss of two wickets in quick succession did not deter Kohli as he went on to score his 64th ODI half-century.
Kohli along with Shreyas Iyer took India’s total beyond the 150-run mark. Kohli-Shreyas partnership did not last long as Kohli was dismissed for 65 of a leading edge caught in the off-side by Bavuma of Keshav Maharaj’s bowling. Suryakumar Yadav joined Shreyas in the middle as the wicket-keeper as the duo kept the scoreboard moving. But Proteas once again got the breakthrough as Shreyas was out caught of a short pitch ball by Phehlukwayo of Sisanda Magala’s bowling.
India reached the 200-run mark in the 38th over. But India’s woes continued as Suryakumar too was dismissed caught in the mid off by Bavuma of Dwaine Pretorius’ bowling. Deepak Chahar tried to fight a lone battle but he lost another partner in Jayant Yadav dismissed by Lungi Ngidi caught by Bavuma in mid-off by Bavuma.
Boundaries and sixes from Chahar helped India go past 250-run mark in the 45th over. Chahar notched up his second ODI half-century of 31 balls taking India closer to victory from precarious situation. With only 10 runs needed off 18 balls India, unfortunately, lost Chahar who was caught by Pretorius of Ngidi’s bowling. With seven required of 9 balls India lost Bumrah for 12 of Phehlukwayo’s bowling caught by Bavuma. With six runs needed of the last over Pretorius dismissed Yuzvendra Chahal for 2 as India were bowled out for 283 falling short by 4 runs.
Earlier in the day, Rahul won the toss and opted to bowl first and the visitors got off to a great start with comeback man Deepak Chahar picking up the wicket of opener Janneman Malan in the third over of the match caught behind by wicket-keeper Pant for only 1.
Quinton carried on where he left in the previous match scoring runs at a brisk pace for the Proteas. But in the sixth over hosts lost the wicket of their captain Temba Bavuma for just 8 as Indian captain KL Rahul sent him back to the pavilion with a direct hit reducing the hosts to 34 for 2.
With the fall of two early wickets, the Proteas needed a partnership and Aiden Markram alongwith de Kock took the team’s total to 53 for 2 in the first powerplay of 10 overs. Chahar was given an extended spell as he continued to bowl his seventh over and Rahul’s decision paid off as Chahar got the wicket of Markram for 15 caught in the deep by substitute fielder Ruturaj Gaikwad leaving Proteas tottering at 70 for 3.
Rassie van der Dussen joined de Kock in the middle and got a life at his individual score of 12 as wicket-keeper Pant dropped his catch in the 16th over of the match of Jayant Yadav’s bowling. Despite losing partners at the other end de Kock did not look too perturbed as he notched up his half-century of 59 deliveries.
Proteas reached the triple figure mark in the 20th over. Dussen and de Kock struck fifty partnership to bring some stability in the South African innings. Opener de Kock started to take on Indian bowlers hitting Yuzvendra Chahal and Prasidh Krishna for boundaries and reaching close to his triple figure mark. Dussen-de Kock pair struck a century partnership for the fourth wicket as Proteas scored 170 runs in 30 overs.
Quinton went on to score his 17th ODI ton his sixth against India in 17 innings equaling the record of AB de Villiers and Ricky Ponting of most ODI centuries against India behind Sri Lanka’s Sanath Jayasuriya who has seven tons to his name. Dussen’s run of form continued as he went on to score his 10th ODI fifty. The hosts went past the 200-run mark in the 35th over as de Kock and Dussen toyed away with the Indian bowling attack.
Rahul introduced Jasprit Bumrah into the attack and the pacer broke the 144-run partnership dismissing centurion de Kock for 124 of 130 balls caught near the boundary line by Dhawan to give India the much-needed breakthrough.
In the next over Chahal got the prized scalp of Dussen for 52 of 59 deliveries caught in the deep to a brilliant running catch by Shreyas. With two wickets in quick succession the Indian bowlers bowled some economical overs as the Proteas scored 228 runs in 40 overs. The pressure crept in and the South Africans lost the wicket of Phehlukwayo to a run out by Shreyas.
Opinion1 year ago
South Block’s mistakes will now be corrected by Army
Sports2 years ago
When a bodybuilder breaks Shoaib’s record
News2 years ago
PM Modi must take governance back from babus
Spiritually Speaking1 year ago
Spiritual beings having a human experience
News2 years ago
Chinese general ordered attack on Indian troops: US intel report
Legally Speaking2 years ago
Law relating to grant, rejection and cancellation of bail
Sports2 years ago
West Indies avoid follow-on, England increase lead to 219
Royally Speaking1 year ago
The young royal dedicated to the heritage of Jaipur